We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

air eraser technics

EvadEvad Member Posts: 1
I have just bought a master air eraser and compressor. I am wondering if I need to have some type of spray box for etching on mirrors

Comments

• GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,313
    @Evad, yes you do.  It contains the grit so that you can reuse it instead of blowing it away each time you etch.  The grit isn't cheap so reusing it will save you a lot of money.  Also, it will help protect your lungs and eyes.  Be sure to wear goggles, not safety glasses.  Also a good dust mask will help to keep you from breathing in the grit while you blast.  Note: to avoid possible lung disease (silicosis) never, ever use common sand or play sand as a blasting media.  Both contain silica, which has been shown to lead to silicosis after prolonged exposure.  Aluminum oxide does not contain silica so it is somewhat safer.  Precautionary measures should still be observed to insure an optimum and safe blasting experience.

That being said, where do you get a blasting cabinet for an air eraser?  Why, you make it yourself, of course!  There were pictures of DIY blasting cabinets on this forum, but we lost them a couple of years ago during the purge to regain space.  These days Pinterest is your friend.  Go there and search for DIY blasting cabinet.    
    Many of the displayed cabinets are either not homemade or very complicated to make.  Look for the ones made from sterlite, aka "plastic storage box".  These are basically a plastic box with 2 arm holes cut into it, and a piece of clear plexi inset into the top so you can see inside while you work.  The arm holes should be set up to keep the grit inside the box.  You'll see in the examples how it can be done. Some people use plastic flanges and some people cut wooden circles to affix to the box and hold the gloves or sleeves you insert your arms into.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,234
    edited January 27

Here is a link to an inflatable one...a reasonable cost if you are not 100% sure you want to do a lot of this.

https://www.amazon.com/ArmourS-Inflate-Booth-Sand-Etch/dp/B0018N87YO

• pixelpusherpatpixelpusherpat Member Posts: 262
    edited February 8
    @Evad The inflatable one is very useful for the smaller items and the close work of an air eraser.  I use two frequently for lessons.  They already have hand holes and are fairly easy to peer thru.  The plastic box with plexi top is also something that I use for at home on my work top. Both work well.  I have small hands though, so the inflatable's size is of no consequence.  Aluminum oxide can cause a kind of flashing that I don't like. So, I use silicon carbide 180 to 220 grit and got a pint extension pot so I don't have to refill quite so often.  (That can be awkward if you are perched in the back of a pick-up doing a back window. Lol )
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,313
    edited February 8
    @pixelpusherpat, not sure if this info is not needed, but the air eraser has a big brother.  It's called the LAC#3.  Made by Paasche, just like the original air eraser. It has a much larger grit hopper and can use SC grit from 120 to 220 I believe. The pamphlet that comes with it says grit that can fit through a 30 to 100 mesh screen.  I asked one of the experts on Facebook and he said 120 to 220 should work just fine.

Here's a link to it on Amazon.  Paasche LAC#3