We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Want a Zing but don't want to give up all my cartridges...

susanwitsendsusanwitsend Member Posts: 59
Our Cricut is done in (we're using a very old version of MTC with it)  and we are more than ready to move on to a Zing, but I do love my "Child's Year" cart as well as a couple of other favorites.  Is there a way to continue to use these images with a Zing?  Also, a bit worried about the "tough learning curve" we keep reading about...not terribly computer literate...as some of you can attest to :)  Have made my way happily around the basics of MTC.  What will I have to learn?

Comments

• astack229astack229 Member Posts: 866
    Seems to me if you have an image of the designs you like, you can easily import them into MTC.  
  • susanwitsendsusanwitsend Member Posts: 59
    all I have would be the books that go with the carts...any input on the learning curve?

• marsmars Member Posts: 1,116
    If you know MTC! you are well on your way.  The learning curve for the Zing! is not bad if you take your time and go through the wonderful manual @SandyMcC has written.  

I have seen people panicking because they just got the machine and have a project they are under time pressure to get done.  Rushing leads to frustration with any machine.

The items that you will find different

Zing blade holder is manually adjusted - and seems to trip up some people.  I find it dead simple, but it is similar to holders I have used on my commercial machines for years.  You can always buy a click style holder - the Zing! will use most blade holders (but not the cricut)

There are more settings and more power and better accuracy than the machine you have been using the carts with.   The manual will get you through it or the forum members will lend a hand.

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,806
    edited January 22
    Now I never owned or used a Cricut so I can really compare
    The zing was may first machine and I guess there was a learning curve but I'm not sure i found it so steep I worked through Sandy's user manual step but step and for the most part things went smoothly
    Sure a made mistakes my mat bares the scars of my first practice cut

I think the most challenging aspect of using the zing is getting a gut feel for the settings required for the material you cutting that come with practice
    There is a Material setting Guide in the User Manual to give you a starting point

I think this is a common issue with beginners and sometimes more so with users of other less powerful machines.
    The Zings extra power requires more precise settings to control it

Are you aware KNK is Creating a updated version of the Zing Named the
    ZIng Orbit which is due for release in a few months
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • PhilHPhilH Member Posts: 10
    After reading about other machines, and having a bad experience with a KNK Force, I bought my wife a KNK Maxx Air.  She has had an Expression, and like you we have had to use an older version of MTC.  Her expression is still working and she will continue to use it with some cartridges.  There is certainly no way of using the cartridges with a different brand of cutter.  

There are some options though, I have just looked online at the images in the "Child's Year" cart.  They don't seem to be layered images, therefore if you can find similar images online (via a google image search) you can import the image into MTC using the trace tool.  

We are experiencing a bit of a learning curve, have not cut with the machine yet but have been using the test pen tool.  The speed is one thing that we are already impressed with.  Cutting with the expression was slow, and images from MTC would often take up to 10 mins to cut.  If you already have MTC then you do not need to purchase it again.  There is a new Zing due out in March, and you would notice on the KNK website that you can still buy the Zing Air, but it comes with SCAL for free, not MTC.

Being able to use the cutter via bluetooth is great.  You can download the user manual from here http://www.iloveknk.com/support/zing/
    I am very happy to be able to move away from provocraft.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,064
    If your Cricut still works, then cut one of each image from the cartridge out of a dark cardstock and then scan each one into your computer.  You'll have a high quality image that you can then pixel trace with MTC and use in the future.  Just don't then sell that cartridge so that it's all on the up and up.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Thank you all so very much...these pennies are precious and we want to make the right decision. So, (and no offense intended), if the Zing is what everyone likes, why do so many people keep so many cutters?
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,462
    @susanwitsend - as the owner of a variety of cutters, I think it truly boils down to something quite simple. We are collectors, or as my husband says, an anything craft hoarder. =). The cutter world is evolving very rapidly, and each new generation of cutter offers more possibilities for crafters. I love my KNK Maxx Air for how quick it is, and how well it cuts almost anything. I love the Force for its double tool head, so I can draw with a pen and then cut my shape without having to swap out tools I am also having a lot of fun with the rotary tool and some carving. I have an older Silhouette SD which will fit in my suitcase if I want to bring it with me on trips, two Zings which haven't seen a lot of use for awhile, and a couple of older Cricuts I am keeping for whatever reason, LOL!

I haven't decided on whether I would purchase a new Zing, but I would recommend it to anyone looking for a better than the average cutter with lots of possibilities.
  • GardendogGardendog Member Posts: 305
    I have a first generation Zing and love it.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,374
    There is no hardware that will let you read an image directly from a cartridge and display it in MTC for cutting.  Sandy gave a good way to create cartridge files from a scanned image.  I wonder if using a pen to draw the image on white cardstock would also work.  Good luck.
  • AnointedHandsAnointedHands Member Posts: 794
     if the Zing is what everyone likes, why do so many people keep so many cutters?
    I have collected a few cutters since my first cutter purchase...little red machine that had books and made 4 inch cuts don't remember the name. I call myself "upgrading" to get bigger cuts. There is a curve but once you get the hang of it, you are good to go. Frustration can make you feel like you will never master what you are trying to do but have no fear, it can be mastered.
    Thanks, Althea. Your encouragement is a blessing!
  • ahuntingahunting Member Posts: 648
    Could you screen shot the images from the cartridge and trace them in MTC.  Seems like I did that a long time ago when I had cartridges.?
    Thanks for your ideas and input everyone!
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 157
    edited February 17
    @susanwitsend - Also, you can try open the shapes or parts you want in a blank Cricut virtual mat or make a 12 x 12 square, fill it with white color and send it to back. Use a snipping tool to select e save those shapes as a png image for better quality and transparent background. Import that png image to MTC, trace it and ungroup it. You are good to go!

This discussion has been closed.