We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Gig for pay to cut thin wood or plastic

nannan Member Posts: 440
edited January 21 in General
Does anybody want to cut some thin wood or plastic for me? I want to make some jewelry and can provide the vector files.
I'm looking for somebody to do this for a fee.
Nan 
Post edited by nan on

Comments

• AnointedHandsAnointedHands Member Posts: 777
    What kind of wood or plastic?
    How intricate are the shapes?
    I am a member of a forum on FB and the lady does laser cuts for sublimation. I believe I have also seen some cuts that were uncoated.  Her FB page is Laser Cutting Grandma
  • nannan Member Posts: 440
    Thanks! I'm flexible on the materials. Whatever the person is comfortable using. As far as the shapes, again, I'll be flexible. I'll look for Laser Cutting Grandma.   
    I love her shapes. I use the Force to cut shapes from hardboard but it's tedious and time consuming. 
    what's "hardboard"?
    Looks like wood but I think it's made from sawdust and glue...don't quote me on that. I get white smooth tempered hardboard wall panel from Lowe's and it cuts beautifully using the Force. It comes in brown and white...I sub on it so I get the white so I don't have to put a white coat on first.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,292
    @AnointedHands, sounds like it could be white MDF. I also thought of PVC coated foam board.  But foam board isn't as strong or "woodlike" as MDF.  MDF comes in brown or white, mainly.  It's pretty strong.  PVC coated foam board comes in many colors.  Not quite as strong as MDF but still very versatile.
    Thanks. I'll ask at Lowe's. 
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,389
    edited February 1
    There is a difference between Hard Board and MDF
    -Traditional Hard Board relies on natural binders with in the wood fibres
    -MDF uses non natural binder often contains Formaldehyde
             although they do make Formaldehyde-free MDF also
    Formaldehyde has know health effects most countries mandate material containing it be labelled
    I see on the Lowes webpage they appear to  list either Formaldehyde free or No Added Formaldehyde (NAF) Compliant with a X 

With wood products containing Formaldehyde dust from machining is the main concern
    but I thinking it probably best not using material containing Formaldehyde to make item is for children 

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Thanks so much!
  • kb25t17kb25t17 Member Posts: 276
    edited February 4
    We have been laser cutting the thin mdf materials from Lowes and from Home Depot with no issues of formaldehyde or excessive smoke. My friend does hire out his time for laser cutting but not for very small quantity jobs as it is not cost effective in terms of set up time fees for the customer.  You will have to private message me if you want to get that contact information for a quote. But remember if your need is just for 10 of this or that then he won't want to bothered with the job.
    Thanks so much. I'll looking for small quantities unless I can prove my market.

• kb25t17kb25t17 Member Posts: 276
    edited February 4
    nan said:
    Thanks so much. I'll looking for small quantities unless I can prove my market.

You might want to check and see if there are any maker groups in your local area. Those are a type of club where you pay a subscription fee. But for that fee you get to use things such as laser cutters as well as being able to take classes and watch demonstrations of how to run them.
    Thanks so much. I'll check it out.