We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

New to Silhouette Studio Basics -HELP!

sip2604sip2604 Member Posts: 4
I recently purchased a Cameo 3 and have been using the Silhouette Studio Basics.  I am attempting to use the knife tool to cut an image in different parts.  After making the cut I see where the white line is for the cut, but I'm unable to separate the part of the image that I cut off.  Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,653
    edited January 13
    Are you cutting completely though from outside one side to the outside of the other side
    I don't think you can link multiple cut together if you was to say cut a right angle you would need to change select poly in the knife tools options and perforn the cut in one action
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • sip2604sip2604 Member Posts: 4
    yes I am cutting completely through from one side to the other. It leaves the white line as if it made the cut but when I try to drag the cut piece away it doesn't detach and drags the entire image.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,070
    I'd check what cut line is set in the program if I were you - If I'm right there's one that leaves bit attached for selling as decoupage!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,978
    edited January 13
    sip2604 said:
    I recently purchased a Cameo 3 and have been using the Silhouette Studio Basics. . . .
    Welcome to the Make the Cut software support forum. Just to clarify - it looks like you are not using Make the Cut software program with your cutter so the knife tool you are referring to is the one in the free Silhouette Studio software program that comes with the cutter is that correct? If that is the case, you might be better helped finding a help or support group dedicated to the Silhouette Cutters and their software programs. There are some Facebook groups I believe if you do Facebook. The one user support forum that I am aware of is found here:http://s15.zetaboards.com/Silhouette_Plus/index/ You can find the FAQ section of Silhouette's site found here: https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/faq

Also found this article on using the knife tool in the silhouette program on the Silhouette blog: http://blog.silhouetteamerica.com/2016/09/customize-ready-made-designs-using-the-knife-tool?paged=0
    (There may be more - just enter knife tool in their search box on the forum, this one and several more were shown in the results.  Only quickly looked at this one.)
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    Thank you. Yes the knife tool I am referring to is for the free basic software that comes with the cameo 3. I have not upgraded yet to the designer version as I am seeing how it goes first. Sorry I'm new to the crafting and Silhouette world. Lol. This may seem like a silly question but is Make the Cut a different software than the one that comes with the silhouette? Thank you for all of your help and for the links. I'll make sure to check them out.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,978
    sip2604 said:
    . . .  This may seem like a silly question but is Make the Cut a different software than the one that comes with the silhouette?  . . .
    Yes, Make the Cut is a 3rd party software program that was written several years ago.  It works with a variety of different cutter brands including the original Silhouette cutters and the original Cameos.  I gather it will cut to the Cameo 3 but will not work with the print and cut feature to that cutter.  There are also other 3rd party software programs besides MTC which can work with a Cameo cutter so be sure to check them out before committing to their Designer program.  There are pros and cons to all sides so educate yourself and understand them all before you decide on additional program(s).  Especially if you don't want to be locked into the silhouette file format and have the potential to upgrade later to another cutter.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
This discussion has been closed.