We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Best computer specs to do pnc.....

hope9811hope9811 Member Posts: 166
Hi everyone.  I have a question.  Often when I try to do a pnc, MTC freezes and I have to delete a lot of things to make them print and simplify them as much as possible.  As you know, your pnc window is already small on an 8.5 paper because of the registration marks.  My computer is several years old so I am thinking that a lot of it may be that my computer memory just wasn't set up for this amount of data.  With that said, I am considering a new laptop.  1TB harddrive, 12 mb ram.  I don't have any idea what type of ghz to buy or if the 12 mb of ram will help.  Any computer gurus that deal with photos mtc and tons of files care to give me some suggestions on what works well for this hobby.  Photos, mtc, and svg files are the main use of my computer but I have a TON of pictures (raw format) and would like to get a photo editing program like lightroom.  Any expertise or input for a computer challenged person would be appreciated.  Thank  you!

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 2,898
    Wish I could help - but I don't do a lot of pnc - I use the old school PSP program for messing about with photos (taken over by Corel (ouch)).  You do need to make the photos small - more the end size you are after and use the trace facility in MTC which does a great job.  Looks a bit strange on the page but print preview shows what you are actually printing.  I hope someone with more knowledge comes along shortly.  
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,097

@hope9811 - first, Make The Cut! was not optimally designed to work with faster graphics, it was designed to create vector cut paths, and initially just for fonts. The graphics came after and the designer has said if he knew what would become of MTC at the beginning he would have designed the guts differently. This is why when you have a lot of raster graphics on the mat, MTC has difficulties. Having a good or better amount of RAM (good rule to follow, at least double what the recommended RAM is for your operating system when purchasing new or upgrading RAM), but also important is a good quality video card, as this is what has to work to render graphics to the monitor, and if the video card has its own onboard RAM, then even better.

If you were to take a photo right off your camera and duplicate that over several times in MTC, you will end up with a very large sized file. Again this is because of the way that MTC works. Ensuring that your graphics are only as high quality as they need to be to print great on your printer would help with the no crashing on MTC (I have yet to experience this phenomena on any of my computers when using MTC). Having a program that lets you resample your images down would be helpful, I use Paint Shop Pro (PSP) which has been around for a long time. Corel sells it now.

12MB of RAM would work well with a laptop with Win 10 on it.

• tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 71
    edited January 19

@hope9811 - My first suggestion for you is: listen to the gamers. They always know which is the best in performance. But if you need a very basic help from me…

Platform:

Mac and Adobe are like cheese and wine if you are a Photographer for example, but I still prefer PC as a platform.

Processor:

AMD is okay but Intel is a little bit better on multitasking. This is the second more expensive item so you can define how much you are intending to invest in your next laptop choosing from i3 to i7, the generation technology, amount of cache but the more important are about the core and frequency. You’ll be very happy getting a quad-core i7, 6th Gen with 2.5GHz (before overclocking).

RAM (Random Access Memory):

Don’t save money on this and, please, start with 16GB and be sure that you’ll be able to upgrade in the future if you want. DDR4 is the best technology now, I think.

Graphic Card:

On-board is okay but I should recommend a dedicated HD video card with at list 4GB. GDDR5 is the best technology now, I think.

Display:

As you will work with photos and vector files I suggest you choosing a 17.3”. Who invented touch screen for laptops doesn’t like popcorn with butter, so you’ll be able to disable this feature if you want.

HDD (Hard Disk Drive) or SSD (Solid State Drive):

No doubt here… prefer a SSD instead a HDD. About 30% faster than HDD, SSD has no mechanical parts, never get hot and has no noise. The capacity will depend of your use... 500GB is enough for local processing and storage space. 1TB should be great. If you need more space, try using a cloud service.

Operational System:

Probably your next laptop will have Windows 10 pre-installed so prefer 64bit version. It was supposed to be twice the speed of 32bit but it’s not. However, it’s faster than 32bit, of course.

Mouse or Touchpad:

If you intend to work with photo editing, for example, you’ll feel more comfortable using a mouse instead a touchpad because the accuracy. But it’s not true for everybody. I’ve no problem with a wired mouse but I do have a problem with a 2.4GHz wireless mouse interfering in my Wi-Fi signal. Think about it!

Internet and Ethernet:

802.11AC is the best for while in wireless I should say but make sure that your next laptop has a High-Speed Ethernet port too, identified as 10/100/1000.

Brand:

Keep in mind that inside all the parts come from the same suppliers, generally. The more important difference is about the post-sale assistance and guarantee. So, you can trust in brands like Asus, Toshiba, Lenovo, IBM etc. not because the quality of the parts inside of the laptop but because the brand credibility. I suggest you choosing a brand that you can trust.

Battery:

The Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) is the best technology now, I think but don’t expect more than 2 or 4 hours with an intense use. Just to clarify about a myth… laptop’s batteries have a very short lifetime but part of this is our fault. Always keep your laptop (with the battery) plugged in the outlet if you can. Only use the battery power when you need to. When the battery goes empty and you plug the laptop into the outlet it starts a new cycle, as we call it. Which determine the lifetime is the number of cycles so, avoiding too many cycles your battery will last longer.

Energy Star:

It doesn’t matter! Laptops consume a little of energy that you can’t count in your bill. Desktops are the killers! Never let a desktop turned on if you are not using it.

As a last suggestion, search online before going to buy it. Compare the specifications and the features than go to get your new laptop!

If you prefer you can make a list like mine below and show it to the seller.

·        Laptop PC

·        Price about $__, ____. ___

·        Intel Quad-Core 6th Generation i7 2.5GHz or higher

·        DDR4 RAM 16GB (minimum)

·        HD Graphic Card 4GB GDDR5 (minimum)

·        Display 15.6” (minimum)

·        SSD or HDD 500GB (minimum), (SSD preferred)

·        Windows 10 64bit

·        802.11AC and High-Speed Ethernet port 10/100/1000

·        Brands like _______________________________________

·        Lithium Ion Battery

·        Energy Star (indifferent)

Post edited by tuicarlos on
  • hope9811hope9811 Member Posts: 166
    Thank you all so MUCH!  It was just what I needed.....some advice on how the program works and computer specs to help me!  I really appreciate it!  Thank you!