We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

KNK Zing Air can't cut my words! HELP!!!

Hi everyone! I am new to all this (my husband bought me Knk zing Air for Christmas). I have spent ages making some designs but my machine won't cut it properly.
It cuts the larger parts of the design ok but the words are just a jumbled mess!! and sometimes the card gets clogged around the blade. I have tried loads of different things... slowing the speed, increasing and decreasing the force, having the blade longer/shorter. Have also bought new blades to try. The only thing i can think of is that my words are too small (the letters are approx 0.5 x 0.7 mm.) which isn't that small really when i see some intricate designs that are available! What am I doing wrong??
The other thing I have noticed is if my blade is shorter the letters don't get clogged in the blade but it won't cut right through the card, but if the blade is long enough to cut through the card that's when the letters get clogged! 
The card I am using is 300gsm.
I have tried many different ways just using a few words, I have attached a photo. 
Thanks in advance for any help! :)  

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,551
    edited January 6
    0.5 x 0.7 mm wow thats quite tiny did you mean CM

It might also help us if you attach the MTC file
    Also
    what are the follow settings you using
    Speed
    Force Multicut
    Blade Offset

Are you setting the blade height on 25 postits

Which blade are you used red or blue cap ?

Your blade should be exposed just enough so it just penetrates the card material you cutting

Theres a video showing one method of setting blade exposure i will try find the link

I assume you have the user manual but if not here the support page for the zing

http://www.iloveknk.com/support/zing/

also this is useful  http://www.iloveknk.com/2015/06/test-cutting-materials-a-troubleshooting-flow-chart/

I'm suspect your blade length setting maybe a cause but I'm but not mean an expert
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Ok here the video on one method of setting the blade length

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,028
    Several thoughts - first is the blade blunt or chipped?, second are you cutting too fast (always go slow for detail) ?, is the card a bit damp (this can make a big difference and cooking it for a couple of seconds or ironing it can dry it out)?  I use 300 gsm on the Force and cut intricate (very small detail) so you should be able to cut small although .5 x .7 mm seems a bit small for letters but not impossible so they should cut.  Are you using one pass or two.    As Crazy Mr Zing says the file would help to check that it is OK and that there are not other issues.  The tearing definitely suggest blade and/or speed.  I can try it on the Force with 300 gsm card and I am sure Crazy Mr Zing can try it on a Zing machine.  Let us know if any we can be of further help.  I know how frustrating it is when our beloved machines behave badly.  Also I can shout the guru on this sort of things to come and help later in the day.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,293
    I personally don't think that small for that thick of a media is going  to be very successful. The thickness of the media would hamper the blades ability to swivel around corners, resulting in the mess that you see. I have cut text small enough to put Christmas bells, but the media was vinyl.

You will measure the blade tip against the side of the paper to know how much blade tip to show. You do the fold over test, I think the video might show that.

YOu need a very slow speed, and you need multiple cuts. Try those tips and report back your successes/failures.
  • heulwenheulwen Member Posts: 10
    Hi! Thank you for all the answers and help! Just popped home quickly on my lunch break and had to have a peep to see if there were answsers!! Lol!! So I will be trying again tonight and will report back properly later.
    Just a few answers though: I am using the red standard blade. And yes the letters are 0.5x0.7mm - not CM! 
    How do i attach the MTC file for you to see?
    Not sure if i have attached the MTC file properly?? 
    (please bear in mind i have never done papercutting before so my designs are very simple!! so no laughing!!!LOL!!!)  :D
    edited January 6
    I think it is very sweet - I think the letters at the bottom are too close to each other - will try it out in the morning (10 hours plus) and see what I can do with it.  I'm thinking you need to put the lower set of words on two lines and spread the letters.  I also think you will need to move the square up so that although it wont be completely symmetrical  it will at least all fit on the card front.  Will get back to you on this one.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Fab! Thank you so much xx
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,321
    edited January 6
    @heulwen, Welcome to the Make-The-Cut user support forum!  We are a generally very friendly bunch and as you see we will do all that we can to help you.  :)  Do you happen to have a copy of the Zing User Manual?  There is a lot of info in there.  Also, there are several Facebook groups you can join, if you do Facebook.  There is one called KNK & Zing Users, for instance.  And I have a FB group called Make-The-Cut and Popup Card Studio.  Another source of great information is the website of the author of the user manual, @SandyMcC.  Her site is called I Love KNK, or more properly, iloveknk.com - you will find videos, written manuals and more there.  Again, welcome!  And we hope you enjoy your time on the forum.
    edited January 6
    Still a little our measurement 0.5mm is 1/2 a mm that would be small the the thickness of the paper
    the measurement on the MTC tool bar are always in inches so in  your file with the "h" the W and H are shown in Inches (yellow hightlighted in image) there is not option for metric display

The Measure tool I red arrow has an option to measure and display results in metric

Anyway your file is Great 

Maybe you also could try first with some thinner card stock
    Thank you everyone for all the support, much appreciated. I haven't had the time tonight to re-try and will have to get thinner card stock tomorrow to try.  I will post more photos/updates on my success/disasters!! 
    Thank you also Crazy_Mr_Zing for all your help  :) brilliant advice and tips. I didn't realise I could measure the words like that! I just got my ruler out on the cut card!! LOL!! 
    Also, what do you mean by "Are you setting the blade height on 25 postits"? 
    I have downloaded the user manual for the Zing, but have to admit I found it quite daunting and haven't read it all - such a lot to read! I think I better make it my night time reading  :s 
    Will say goodnight from a cold wet windy West Wales! x
    p.s. the settings i used last time are:
    speed 11
    force 110
    blade offset .30mm
    cut type - knife point
    The 25 postit is a method to ensure the blade is set at the correct height in the tool clamp machine I think once you get to the part in the user manual it will make more sense
    Just take the user manual step by step I you have trouble with a step ask
    Hi heulwen, I changes your letters round and spread them apart slightly.  Of course I didn't take my own advice so forgot to slow cut!!  Anyway I used 216 gsm and cut my revamp - then realised that the letters fell out with out leaving the holes.  If you intend applique the letters then that's fine but if you wanted to cut the letters then the result is what you get in the photo I am putting here.  I've put up both the revamp MTC and a second one with the letters cut - you'll see what I mean - so that the holes are an integral part of the letter.  The letters were far too close originally and so I moved them two steps to the right on each letter and the spaces as well and dropped the second part underneath.  I also raised the robin part to accommodate this change.  I didn't change the original size of anything.  I hope this helps some.  He's really cute - great job.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    ps if you want to applique the letters I would join them onto a base line and then stick them onto the card.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    edited January 7
    I always forget about the centre of letters dropping out to
    you can stencilise letter but it makes some fonts look odd
    I think Robin could use a eye either cut out , pasted on or even a dot with a pen
    Yes Crazy Mr Zing I agree with the eye a small round circle would finish him off beautifully.  Just thought I did not put an example of the letters on a line for applique - here it is  
    as you can see all the letters would cut out with the holes dropping out.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    @Di-lite you are a star! Brilliant! Thank you  :)  And i was wondering how to do the letters without the centre dropping out, so great advice. 
    I agree too about the eye, will do that. I had originally planned to cut where the robin's red breast would be, because i intend to use red card for the background, but haven't worked out yet how to get that shape! or maybe i will just leave him as he is!! 
    What speed and force did you use Di-lite?
    I cut him on the Force not a zing so my speed was 20 which although is slow as far as the Force is concerned I should have done him at 15 - not sure how that translates into Zing Air -  the lighter you can cut the better but too light and it wont cut through.    If you want a cut out for the breast what I would do is copy and then open a new layer (left one of the two + at the bottom of MTC) and then click on that layer and past using cntrl shift v to get the exact size.  now using the eraser I would cut a diagonal line (whilst holding down the shift key to keep it straight) and then drag that straight line into a curve.  Delete the rest and you then have a red breast for your robin.  Hope that helps - I'm not that good in MTC as I design in Serif and then transfer to MTC for some twiddly bits!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,947
    Just read the second chapter of the Zing User Manual.  It is the most important since you are already able to cut.  Then  you'll understand things like the 25 Post It notes and the importance of other settings.  :)  

I have a vido on how to stencil letters, as well. It's linked in Section 5.10.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    edited January 7
    heulwen said:
     i was wondering how to do the letters without the centre dropping out,
    Just to Clarify Di is use the KNK Force which is quite a different beast to the zing

One way to retain the letter centres is to create little bridges to the centres you can use the eraser tool to do this

I found a video
    Make The Cut - Stenciling Letters
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing OMG OMG!!!!! My husband has just pointed out that i gave the wrong measurements in my first post - what i meant to say was 5mm x 7mm (not 0.5mm x 0.7mm)!!!  :s it's no wonder you thought the letters were tiny!!! I am so sorry for my mistake!! I feel so stupid  :(
    and forgot to say thank you so much for the videos, I have learnt so much more with all you help  :)
    edited January 8
    many section of the User manual include links to videos

Hey heulwen - don't worry we all get things wrong with numbers and sizes in millimeters/inches etc. etc.  I read the numbers as you intended but they are still quite small!!.  By the way you could cut this on 300 gsm if you take it slow.  Don't be afraid to ask - there's lots of help here and a question is only stupid if you don't ask it!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Thank you @Di-lite your kind comments and help are much appreciated x
    Not to worry Mistakes are all part of the journey. and Oh boy have I've made some doozies
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,947
    And so have I!  That's how I learned so much about cutting and why I believe mistakes are "gifts" that we fail to recognize in life (meaning they extend beyond just cutters.  :)
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/