We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC Support

PhilHPhilH Member Posts: 9
I have been a MTC user for many years, having used the program with a Cricut Expression.  I purchased a new cutter for my wife for Christmas to allow us to be able to use the updated version of MTC.  In looking on the website it seems as though there has been no updates for quite a while.  I saw a discussion around this issue, although stating the software is still very good, an example being that there are now outdated links in MTC which stops it connecting to lettering delights.  I also noticed that the monthly webinars were put on Hold for May 2016, and there has not been further webinars since.  I had been thinking of purchasing PCS as well to compliment MTC but am loathed to do this if the software is no longer going to be updated and supported.

I was a supporter of MTC when they were going through their issues with Provocraft.  I have also gone with a KNK cutter as MTC is the software that comes with it.  Maybe someone could shed some light on what is happening?

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,389
    edited January 5
    I don't think  is none of the user-members on this forum know any more Than what you already know
    Since the announcement that the Webinar's are on hold  there has being no further official Announcements

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,092
    @PhilH - as Crazy_Mr_Zing pointed out there have been no official announcements of anything. It was rumoured that the programmer/developer was working on an update for MTC as well as a plugin for the new KNK Force. All of that came to a grinding halt this past fall. It is my understanding that the programmer has taken on full time work. I assume that because of that, he would have little time to spend on working on MTC.

SCAL now supports all the same cutters including the KNK cutters (the Force as well), and a few more cutters. It's not the same as MTC, and I will never love it the way I love MTC, but if it is going to be a product that is supported and is progressing and moving forward, then its something to consider. Until we hear differently from the programmer/developer we have to assume the worst.
  • LisaMBLisaMB Member Posts: 12
    I received an email from KNK today introducing the new Zing Orbit.  I wonder if MTC will work on it?  I am ready to purchase a new machine, but I certainly don't want to have to learn another software!
  • PhilHPhilH Member Posts: 9
    I have just looked at the KNK site and this new cutter comes with scal as standard.  Obviously KNK would have knowledge of what is happening with MTC.  I think this seems to have answered my query.  Andy has done a great job with this software.  Maybe Andy or Bryan could contribute further details.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,815
    SCAL doesn't come with the new Zing Orbit. This new KNK model is not shipping with any particular software program.  SCAL will work with the ZO because the owner of SCAL is motivated to create a plugin for it.

My understanding is that the current MTC Zing Air plugin will work with the ZO but only for basic cutting. To take advantage of the new auto-PNC system or the future accessories will require @Andy to be interested in creating a plugin for it.  Naturally, we'd love to see that happen, but in light of no updates for the past few years, we cannot count on it.  :(  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    I can now see that on the KNK website it does have SCAL as optional.  In checking on the machine I have just purchased, the Maxx air, the option for software is SCAL, which is free, or pay for SCAL Pro.  Whilst it does have the option of MTC it states that this is now out of stock.

It would seem that KNK are now relying on SCAL for the future.  MTC is still a great program, although it will begin to lose ground with no updates.  Andy has done a great job and maybe there are plans to update in the future.
  • samalesamale Member Posts: 11
    I think a lot of people would like to hear something from @Andy or at least an update @SBryanW
    edited January 6
    I would!  I really want the new Zing, but I need to print and cut AND use MTC to do it.  PLEEEAASSSEEE @Andy or @SBryanW!  I would even be willing to pay for a plug in or update! 
  • bossie1bossie1 Member Posts: 669
    Yes, it would be nice to hear what the plan is..I am hanging in hoping for updates, which I would happily pay for, I just would rather continue with MTC, and not have to learn any other program. 
  • mitch5252mitch5252 Member Posts: 90
    I'm waiting to hear, too. I LOVE MTC software. I hope I don't have to lose it. 
  • fehonsfehons Member Posts: 6
    Add me to this list. Happy to pay for an update, but would love to hear whether this is even possible.
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,776
    I am very sad that MTC has failed to evolve and would also be willing tp pay for updates, new developments and plug-ins.
    Lynne Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
    Pay I don't think so ! why would you pay someone that has not shown you the customer the slightest interest in more the 6 months this thread is one of many requesting some kind of status update not one of them has been responded to

Even a response of project being put in hiatus for the unforeseen future would better be the be ignored
  • milliejsmilliejs Member Posts: 260
    I would also pay for an update....and I think that we all would appreciate at least a yay or nay....or something from our MTC crew.  Something...even if it is goodbye...at least we would know what was going on.
    Millie Speck Zing/KNK Dealer A Speck of Charm & Farm Love cutting up
    I can understand the frustration that people are feeling but MTC began as a home project by Andy, to allow his wife to use her Cricut the way it should have been.  It was, and still is, a very powerful program which punches above its weight.  

From some of the discussion it seems as though Andy took up a new job last year.  These things take up your time and often take our lives in new directions.  It would seem as though Andy is focussing on new things.

Unfortunately, based on discussions in another thread, we all may lose access to the forum and the gallery.  As someone who has just purchased a KNK machine I did contact them about being supplied with MTC, and changing this to a SCAL activation.  Their response was to speak with my distributor, and their only reason for changing was that they had 'run out' of copies of MTC.  

Maybe there is someone who is interested in programming and might be able to offer support to Andy in creating updates.  
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,389
    I'm thinking the Forum will remain online while the company that provides Host services is being paid to do so
    As the content for the Gallery resides on the same server so the same would apply

As there has been no official Announcement it is pure speculation what the future holds for either

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Linda000Linda000 Member Posts: 9
    Surely there is someone on this forum that has his number. And that can unofficial speak in his behalf. I'm sorta disgusted it is still up for sale but than there is no support. Seems so unfair to the new purchaser
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 2,895
    @Linda000  Sandy wrote the manual and Gabe is an administrator - I imagine they were unaware of your problems - if you enlighten them as to what it is that you are having difficulties with they will resolve them.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Linda000 said:
    Surely there is someone on this forum that has his number. And that can unofficial speak in his behalf. I'm sorta disgusted it is still up for sale but than there is no support. Seems so unfair to the new purchaser
    The forum says Andy visited the forum only a few days ago a still there is no response.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,092
    Thanks @SBryanW. Happy New Year!
    samale said:

The forum says Andy visited the forum only a few days ago a still there is no response.
    That's a start!  Maybe, just maybe, he's thinking about it after reading our posts!
  • milliejsmilliejs Member Posts: 260
    Thanks Bryan....I guess that we just needed some kind of communication.  Hopefully everyone in your families are ok.  Thank you for keeping the forum supported.
    Millie Speck Zing/KNK Dealer A Speck of Charm & Farm Love cutting up
    PhilH said:
      As someone who has just purchased a KNK machine I did contact them about being supplied with MTC, and changing this to a SCAL activation.  Their response was to speak with my distributor, and their only reason for changing was that they had 'run out' of copies of MTC.  

<sob>  It's an authorization code for a download, not a hard "copy". This does not bode well. 

I understand changes in direction, in focus, in goals. I do not understand the overwhelming silence even with @SBryanW 's comments above.
    Lynne Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
    samale said:
    Pay I don't think so ! why would you pay someone that has not shown you the customer the slightest interest in more the 6 months this thread is one of many requesting some kind of status update not one of them has been responded to

Even a response of project being put in hiatus for the unforeseen future would better be the be ignored
    I would be willing to pay because of my past experiences the MTC and its crew. I know of more than one product that failed simply because the sellers overpromised financially, and it bit them in the butt.  

I did it myself with my sewing machine dealership. Never once charged for a repair if someone bought the machine from us new, not charging enough for repairs from others, free classes for life, etc. By the time we realized it was unsustainable, we had better options. 

That's why I am willing to pay.

My initial question was regarding support.  As a long time computer user I appreciate the support offered by users, but ultimately proper support for a program includes upgrades.  Computers are constantly being upgraded, both with hardware and software.  Therefore applications need to move with the updates.  @SBryanW has alluded to at least two issues that have arisen with the software, and that, whilst there was an update in the pipeline, this will not happen in the forseeable future.  This software is already three years old.  Windows 10 was not out when the software was released yet I am sure many users are, or will be, using this operating system.

I have been using the older version of MTC with an expression machine.  At that stage I was not overly concerned about updates as the cutter was limited and I understood, with the lawsuit, that I would need to stay with older software until I could update the cutter.   

I think the major issue here is that KNK themselves obviously knew that there was an issue with updates, but have continued to package an outdated piece of software in their machines.  My response direct from KNK was not appropriate, nor supportive.  But that is something for me to take up with the store I bought the machine from.

hwgang, that there is a resounding silence regarding MTC. There is the option for the owners to note something on the home page, but obviously the aim is to still continue to sell the product.  For cutting software MTC will suffice for the moment, but attempting to run it on Windows 10 means it doesn't display well on the screen.  When I want to do more then I will investigate new software for the KNK cutter.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,815
    @PhilH, the KNK's no longer ship with MTC.  I am sorry you did not receive an appropriate response from KNK USA. If there is anything you would like for me to do, please feel free to contact me at smccauley45@cox.net. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/