We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Sandblasting Mask [Resolved]

mikefletcher85mikefletcher85 Member Posts: 4
edited December 2016 in Resolved Issues
I recently got a sandblasting cabinet and a Bosskut Gazelle. Im using the Gazelle with some regular Cricut vinyl to make stencils that I later sandblast on to Ozark Trail (YETI knock-off) 30oz Tumblers. Recently I found that the tumblers can now be purchased painted in a few colors. I thought it would make the sandblasting look more dramatic because the sandblaster would take off the paint and expose the steel below. I later found that the Cricut vinyl doesnt stick as well to the painted cups and when I attempted to sandblast one it ended up ripping off the vinyl too.

I started looking around for different vinyl when I saw the Oracal 651 stuff and thought that maybe it would stick better, but then I was worried that I might not be able to remove it. Has anyone worked with Oracal 651 before? Could it be used as a stencil? Or is there something more appropriate out there. Others were suggesting contact paper, but I got a roll of it and it wasnt as sticky as the Cricut vinyl was so I didnt even try it. 
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• bchbumgusbchbumgus Member Posts: 32
    I use 651 for all my sandblasting stencils. I have never had a problem with it coming off or tearing on metal or glass. the secret to removing it is a heat gun or hair drier. I use a razor blade to get under it and just pull it off.
  • mikefletcher85mikefletcher85 Member Posts: 4
    bchbumgus said:
    I use 651 for all my sandblasting stencils. I have never had a problem with it coming off or tearing on metal or glass. the secret to removing it is a heat gun or hair drier. I use a razor blade to get under it and just pull it off.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Ill order a few pieces of it to try out. 
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,306
    Here's a post I copied from Facebook for you.  A great little tip for getting vinyl to stick well.

"Ah, solution found! The Ozark trail powder coated cups with the crinkle finish, successfully etched in 20 degree weather! The trick: a light spray of Krylon Repositionable Easy Tack before applying vinyl stencil. It worked like a charm and a little WD40 afterwards took all the adhesive residue off nicely."

• AnointedHandsAnointedHands Member Posts: 786
    I use 631 for stenciling. 651 will give you a better bond and I find the air pressure can cause the vinyl to more or come off completely. I have not had any problems removing 651 from projects.
  • debemacdebemac Member Posts: 201
    I do a lot of sandblasting. I have a local sign company that uses vinyl they print on. I ask for the scraps and get them for free. It is very sticky. After blasting I soak with very hot tap water and the vinyl comes off easily. Hope you find this helpful.
  • tvoss123tvoss123 Member Posts: 188
    My hubby has a blast cabinet and I want to try using it, but am wondering if you use a particular medium for blasting.  He uses his cabinet for rust and paint removal.
    To clarify, I would like to try the glass and tumbler etching using vinyl as a template.

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,489
    I think most aluminium oxide is commonly used as a blast medium for glass etching

Do you know what media is use in that cabinet
    Why no give it a try on few glass jar if the current media is to harsh you may find the vinyl gets blasted away on the edges
    Be aware there are health issue involve in using actual sand  (play sand) due to the silica content

I use vinyl specifically sold as blasting stencil but many use commercial grade vinyl (oracle etc)

You will also find it easier if you have something to act as transfer tape this help hold you stencil together and in place as you remove the backing sheet then apply to the item your blasting
    you can weed of the parts you want etched
    when I first started I used overlapping strips of the low tack painters masking tape after I purchased specific transfer tape (application tape)

Etching with a BLAST CABINET is facebook groups thats is a good source of information

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @tvoss123, for future reference, please ask any new questions in a post that you create, rather than tacking on a question to a message thread that was started by someone else.  That way the two questions will not become confused.  It helps keep everyone on track.  Thanks.
    edited December 2016
    Gabe said:
    Here's a post I copied from Facebook for you.  A great little tip for getting vinyl to stick well.

"Ah, solution found! The Ozark trail powder coated cups with the crinkle finish, successfully etched in 20 degree weather! The trick: a light spray of Krylon Repositionable Easy Tack before applying vinyl stencil. It worked like a charm and a little WD40 afterwards took all the adhesive residue off nicely."

I was just about to post about how the 651 didnt stick to those exact Ozark Trail cups (painted ones). I had no idea there were more posts to this thread. It did come across my mind to try that spray... guess I know what Im doing tonight ;)

Edit: This is the media I am using. And I'm using it in a cabinet with the compressor set to 80psi.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lb-black-aluminum-oxide-70-grit-abrasive-media-61871.html
    Thank you @Mr Crazy Zing and @Gabe.  I will play around and see what happens. I will also begin a new thread when I have a question.

Tried that Easy-Tack and the 651 vinyl and it worked like a charm! Below is the result on my test/trashed cup. Now I just need to etch the full image on a new cup. Thanks again @Gabe
    Happy to hear that worked for you, @mikefletcher85

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,489
    I've not done this but I read the coating chips off easily some brand of those coated tumblers so even more so where blasted
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files