We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Looking to purchase a Gazelle, What Software should I choose? Funtime or Sure Cuts A Lot?

CarabelleCarabelle Member Posts: 1
Hello,

I am a new user of the die cutting machines and want purchase a Gazelle after much research. It comes with Funtime software or Sure Cuts A Lot Software and I have no idea which one to choose. I already have Adobe Illustrator. I want to use my own Fonts and designs, but would like to have templates too. Does anyone have information on the features or differences between the software? I couldn't find much information when researching on the internet.

Thank you

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,310
    edited December 2016
    You are posing a difficult question here. Welcome to the Make the Cut! forum where we discuss the cutting software Make the Cut!, a compeitor to the software you are asking about, and this is not a general cutting forum although many of us own different cutting machines. We are all users here of the software Make the Cut! and you might want to take a look at the demo version of any software you are considering purchasing to decide.

• scrappingmom2007scrappingmom2007 Member Posts: 1,415
    Carabelle  sent you a pm.
    Pazzles Vue and Silhouette portrait owner.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,799
    Why not use Make The Cut. It works well with the Gazelle.
  • SarahbellumSarahbellum Member Posts: 385
    I have been a long time MTC user...I purchased Sure Cuts A lot when there was a black friday sale...MTC is much better, but unfortunately there have been no updates for a while...but it is still better than SCAL...at least that is my opinion today...maybe after I have time to use it more that will change, but MTC trace is far better.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,799
    I realized that when you purchase a new Gazelle, they offer your choice between SCAL and Funtime. This is a personal choice. I think you can download a free two week trial of either to give them a try to determine your preference. Funtime has more professional features available, but it is also more difficult to learn and find adequate support. SCAL has some nice features that Funtime does not have. SCAL will not import WPC files very well. MTC is great for that. Funtime will import SVG files, but I don't think it will export SVG files. Also, be aware that BossKut has no intention of offering any further updates of Funtime beyond what is currently available. Also, check with Bosskut to find out if SCAL produces accurate cutting around printed images on the Gazelle. I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that that feature worked accurately only with Funtime.
  • CarrieCarrie Member Posts: 1,167
    edited January 5
    The best thing you can do is try trials of each program. Guess which program I liked the best!! That's why I am here, since 2009!!!! Always of fan of MTC!!!! Sorry bragging about the 2009 part.
    image+++MTC fan since December 2009+++~~~Own a Silhouette Cameo~~~ ****MTC is the best PROGRAM Ever!!!**** 1-22-14 Bought PCS! ****A fan of Andy the Amazing Designer, and Ann helping him to get started****
  • pigtailpatpigtailpat Member Posts: 1,515
    I have both and I have the gazzy. SCAL cuts really smooth to the gaz, but as Julie said, to take advantage of the new print & cut board inside the gaz, it has to be funtime. If print & cut means alot to you, then get the gaz with the funtime, and purchase SCAL. I independently purchased MTC in 2009, then SCAL, and I also purchased a version of funtime to cut to the little silhoutte SD (which I still have). Learning funtime isn't easy, but with Terri M's help it should not be too terrible. I bought my gaz before the improvement in the print & cut, and I could replace the board, but I have the little sil SD for that (again - purchased before any improvement on the gaz in that area). Sooner or later, Graphtec's dominance on the laser eye for print & cut will run out, and we will see the same laser eye on everything. Patents are good for like 20 years.  Hope I live long enough.
    Cuts with Gazelle, PNC with silhouette.
  • pooh2pooh2 Member Posts: 61
    I have a Gazelle with the new mother-board for 3-point registration. I started out with Funtime, but never got to like it. So I purchased MTC, and love the program.  But I miss an update supporting PnC.
    I have also tried SCAL 4 pro, and found that to support PnC with 3 point reg. And it cut very accurately - much better than my Funtime version did. So you do not need Funtime to do that either.
    In my opinion, SCAL is a better and more user-friendly program than Funtime, but neither can compare with MTC. Still hoping for an update ...
  • jax3catsjax3cats Member Posts: 1,061
    I have a "gen 1" Gazelle and a "gen1" Sizzix eClips. That means in addition to MTC I also have Funtime and eCal (both 1 and 2). It's my understanding that eCal 2 is virtually the same as SCAL Pro 4, but I could be wrong.

If SCAL Pro 4 supports the PNC function I would get it over Funtime. It is much easier to use and doesn't require a dongle.

While many here claim MTC is considerably better than SCAL I no longer share that opinion based on the new "Pro" version. It has added a lot of features that, IMHO, allow me to do everything I can do in MTC and for some things, works even better. For working with text, it has always been much better, in that it allows you to make changes (to the copy itself and the font) on the fly. And the Pro version has a font preview option that is truly awesome. No more trial and error or using a different program to preview; it's built right into the software.

Given that MTC has essentially been stagnant for quite a while and Funtime will no longer be updated after the current version, I think SCAL is the better option.
    My name is Jackie and I am a papercraft and cutting newbie from Michigan. Now the happy owner of a Sizzix eClips, Bosskut Gazelle, and KNK Zing. The CE has left the building!
  • DarleneIDarleneI Member Posts: 2,741
    I agree with those who say SCAL.  It is continually getting better.  I still use MTC daily for working up new designs and tracing.  It is my go to program but I have several different machines and SCAL works for all of them.  I know for myself what MTC, Brian and Andy have done for me over the past few years.  I will be forever grateful.  I am no longer afraid to try anything.    There are always different ways to solve problems.  I would always get an A+ with MTC.  It sometimes makes me feel so smart.  lol 
  • mommahobbitmommahobbit Member Posts: 3,055
    I lovemy gazzy and i love MTC ..  My gazzy is a workhorse!