We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Help with a PDF file

SimmerSimmer Member Posts: 483
edited December 2016 in Your Masterpieces
I bought this file and i know it mostly likely was supposed to be hand cut- i'm not going to complain as I think its a great learning experience for me.    Can you tell me what i need to do to fix this?   I think it will be easy but i don't know how.  it opens as a PDF just fine but try opening it in MTC  - you'll see. :)  

Thank you much!

Post edited by Simmer on

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    I see your problem - it is giving my system overload and taking forever to separate out so that I can grab the T and put it on a different layer and then collect all the damask together and join.  Then you would need to weld or use bolean to inter lock the inner parts of the T.  Quite frankly I would print as large as possible and then trace in from the resulting scan.  Will see if it has landed yet and if so will crack it for you.  If not then it's back to the drawing board.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    I opened the PDF and exported as a png and then traced the result in MTC - I think you would need to do the same and then despecal to suit your taste.  I used 200 to trace and here is the file it will need the extra lines removed as it stands.  You will note that if you send it to the cutter as is you will get the inner T falling out of the out T.  It will need a lot of work to get what you are looking for.  Personally I would export from MTC and take into Serif and then make the necessary adjustments.  Of course it can be done in MTC if you are familiar with it.  Hope this helps a tad.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,802
    edited December 2016
    as this is a vector image is contains many layers and clipping masks

I worked out a way its is rather involved and due to the size of the pattern you pc may have issue processing the data

Are you getting as far as successfully importing the Pdf to MTC ?

If so
    1, import the PDF file
    2, do a break this is where you computer may have issue with the data
    3, Now you need to Separate the T shapes and the rectangles the form the border as I said there a mutilple T's and Borders
    I found this method made seperating them for the Demask Pattern easier
    Drag a selection frame starting to the left and above the top left corner pattern and drag over to the right and down but stop before the bottom of the T's

and then join

( as the full shape of the T's and the borders was not enclose in the selection frame they will not be included in the join )
    Repeat start at the bottom left and drag up to the right past the point you stopped
     before and join

4 in the layer tool bar select the 2 groups of shape you have just grouped using the join

and do a join again .
    Now you show have all the demask pattern joined as one shape
         2 inner T Shape one is slightly larger
         3 outer T Shapes of increasing size aswell
         3 Large Square Border Shapes

MTC File demask t seperated.mtc

5, Discard the 3 border shapes

ok this seems even more complicated now you can bet I doing it the hard way

6, Select the demask pattern shape and the larger of the inner T shapes (check the size in the dimmension box)

Boolean Join difference to create a demask patterned T

7 select the smaller innet T shape and the Largest of the outter T shape boolena join difference to create the T framed shape

weld the 2 shapes

mtc file  demask t finished.mtc

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,343
    edited December 2016
    They didn't want you to have the file as a vector pdf. Since you bought it, I would go back to the designer or do as Mr_Zing suggests or print it out and scan it back in for easier tracing or start from scratch. They actually layered multiple versions of the pdf on top of each other.
    Post edited by leslie6111 on
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,461
    @Simmer - being as you bought the file, I am sure that the owner will want you to now remove it from this post, as anyone who logs in can get the file for free, troublesome as it is or not.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,802
    My knowledge of Vector images is vague and even if I did know more I not sure I could explain it anyway
    I'm not so sure that the creator made any attempt to prevent access to the vector content it just that they intended to file for manual cutting so the file includes content the is not visible as it is hidden by clipping masks and compound paths fill white etc on higher layers so although it does not show when printed (white don't print)  MTC still imports it ...

I'm beginning to think it would be easier to make this from scratch using a free demask pattern and a Letter shape for fonts as manipulating these files to suit is a but like unmaking a cake without knowing the recipe
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SimmerSimmer Member Posts: 483
    Thank you thank you all so very much, we are traveling for a family reunion so I'm on my phone. .I just had to log in on this tiny screen to say how much I apprentice all the help. You are so marvelous for helping me. MERRY CHRISTMAS
This discussion has been closed.