We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

ANy way to cut out of an object.

Mich2AZMich2AZ Member Posts: 23
Is there any way to make a "doughnut"shape in mtc? I have two circles but there is no way to "cut" the inner one out. I have a solid circle with another solid on it. I tried layering, tried every ctrl combination, nothing seems to create a "ring" instead of a solid circle.  Designer make it easy with a weld type option that removes the inner piece of two selected objects.  Will MTC ever offer something like that?

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,190
    Quite simple put the two circles on the page and use the 's' to stack them evenly and then join.  Now you have a doughnut which will cut both the outer and the inner circle.  You can now move it abount on the page as a unit to the location you want it in.  The icon on the bottom with two arrows pointing in is the one you are looking for - don't need to layer or do anything complicated.  Weld is used to join two glyphs that overlap (next one along from join) and Bolean allows you to add or deduct two glyphs which overlap.  That's the problem with different software - none do the same thing in the same way or call it by the same terminology.  I get very confused between Serif Draw and MTC and find I get something very unexpected!!  LOL
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,759
    edited November 2016

You may also want to check out scrappydew's tutorials Under Help in the Make the Cut program

http://www.make-the-cut.com/Instruction.aspx

There is no longer any new webinars. but the older ones are fascinating

@SandyMcC also has some very good Vidios

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,034
    Mich2AZ said:
    Is there any way to make a "doughnut"shape in mtc? I have two circles but there is no way to "cut" the inner one out.  . . .  Will MTC ever offer something like that?
    MTC has always offered something like that. As Di pointed out - the simplest way is do stack and do a simple join.   There are other ways to do it as well.

I highly recommend that you find and use the MTC UM put together several years ago now by SandyMc.  It can be found through the help menu from within MTC, while it says for the Zing - only the first 3 chapters I think relate to the Zing its self - the rest is MTC no matter the cutter.  If you would like to find a PDF version of the manual, you can find it on Sandy's site, iloveknk.com.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,393

@Mich2AZ

Never had a problem with that, as MTC will cut any cut lines on the mat.  If you have two circles sitting next to each other, MTC will cut out both.  If you have one circle situated inside another circle, MTC will still cut out both.  You don't have to do anything special to get it to do that.  Usually people are asking how to get MTC to not cut something.  BTW, in the Zing plug-in, there is a donut shape which people use to make spacers to set the blade holder height before cutting.  I've never heard anyone ever say they couldn't cut the inner circle of that donut.  So that makes me wonder about how you are getting your donut on the mat.  Are you drawing it yourself?  Are you using Basic Shapes?  Are you importing it from other software?  It is not a difficult thing to do, normally.  Final question, do you have a copy of the MTC user manual?  I'm sure that would clear it up for you very quickly.
This discussion has been closed.