We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

[Resolved] Looking for cutter advice (novice)

synergy84synergy84 Posts: 11
edited November 2016 in Resolved Issues
 I am looking for a cutter primarily for vinyl. Something that has low upkeep (good quality blades and/or cheaper blades)and versatile that won't necessarily break the bank. I want to to decals for my kids rooms, and some small outdoor decals (automotive, hardhats, etc) I've never done any cutting myself but I have seen it done and watched as someone did some of the picture editing to make the images more "cutter friendly". 

I am currently looking at either the silhouette cameo or the zing. I'd also rather avoid having to purchase additional software.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to be a crafty dad and make some cool things for my kids.  B)

Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Posts: 3,006
    Welcome to the Forum, I have no knowledge of cutting vinyl I'm afraid but I have a Silhouette Cameo cutter and it has done me proud and is easy to use.  It comes with it's own software and works with MTC a treat.  You didn't state what software you are currently using.  Others will be along shortly and can advise you about the Zing but I believe it is a good cutter once you've grasp the principles of the settings.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Thank you :) It's quite early here though. All I remember of the software is that you could basically sharpen the image with some sort of contrast setting to help the cutter decipher the lines better. I'm not sure if it was software that came with the cameo or something else entirely. And yes the cameo seems fairly easy. Though I like the idea of being able to cut larger decals as I'd love to replace the decal on my car if I can find a vectored pattern on the internet. 
  • Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 9,242
    This is the Make The Cut! forum, so we are all about the Make The Cut! software, which is packaged with the KNK Zing Air and KNK Maxx Air cutters. Most cutters are sold with their own brand of software, including the Cameo. How well the different cutting programs trace a raster image to make it a vector shape for cutting varies greatly. MTC enjoys an enviable reputation of being the best at tracing.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 8,945
    The one note that I would add is that with a Cameo purchase - without an additional software purchase made of either MTC or another Program - you are locked into using the Silhouette proprietary format files especially if you only use their "free" software program that comes with the cutter.  Which means you will not be able to easily find and use other files and formats unless you pay additionally for their "Designer" version of their program.  However, while the Designer version will let you IMPORT an SVG file from other sources, it will not let you EXPORT out of their program to SVG or other formats.  I point this out because the more Silhouette files you buy or create, the more you are "locked" into their format and cutters unless you take some time, effort and sometimes more $ to find out "work arounds" out there and convert those Silhouette files should you ever choose to leave the Silhouette line and go with a different cutter. If I was looking for a new cutter, I would not get one that would attempt to lock me into their software and files but one that allows me to use a variety of file types from multiple sources and/or use with other programs if I choose.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • The proprietary nature of the Silhouette cutters is what prompted me to purchase MTC.  I've never regretted it.  When a customer needed a file in several formats, I was able to create it with MTC.  I could not have done that in the Silhouette software even though I have always had at least the Designer edition.

• synergy84synergy84 Posts: 11
    edited November 2016
    I suppose it does come down to how we value our time, given that the software purchase for ease of use seems worth while. I appreciate the input. As I live in Canada i would have to look at what the shipping rates for these cutters would be. I really do need to narrow this down lol
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Posts: 6,908
    Here is the Canadian web site for buying KNK products.  I believe shipping is included in these prices.  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 8,945
    SandyMcC said:
    Here is the Canadian web site for buying KNK products.  I believe shipping is included in these prices.  
    @SandyMcC  - I don't see the link to the Canadian site  ;)
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    @synergy84, @MeFlick here is the KNK CA website:

http://klicnkut.ca/product-category/equipment/

@synergy84 - where do you live? I am in Edmonton. If you were reasonably close you could have a demo of the machines. 
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Posts: 6,908
    Thank you!  Duh me!  lol
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Thanks for the information everyone :) Turns out that it's still cheaper to purchase the KNK products through the US. I will most likely just cross the border to pick it up since its on sale on the US site and free shipping whereas the Canadian site isn't on sale and would an extra $30 CAD.  I'd almost be tempted to purchase a refurbished product, but the US site is out of stock and the Canadian site doesn't even have that as an option. :(

@Liz_A - Unfortunately I live in Winnipeg. Otherwise that would be awesome. I appreciate the offer. :)

I am definitely set on a KNK system at this point. 
    @synergy84 - ahhh Winterpeg, as I like to call it. My brother was born there. Yes it is often cheaper to purchase from south of the border, you live close enough to the US border that a border city that has a shipping outlet place is possible. I have a package waiting in Sweetgrass, Montana, but that is 5 hours south. Hoping a friend can pick it up on his way through.
  • @Liz_A I have family across the border and its not that far to begin with. I just have to hunker down and decide which KNK machine to go with so I can order it tomorrow and get started tinkering with the software. XD
    @synergy84 - good deciding and good cutting when you get going.
  • supermumsupermum Posts: 791
    synergy84 said:
     I am looking for a cutter primarily for vinyl. Something that has low upkeep (good quality blades and/or cheaper blades)and versatile that won't necessarily break the bank. I want to to decals for my kids rooms, and some small outdoor decals (automotive, hardhats, etc) I've never done any cutting myself but I have seen it done and watched as someone did some of the picture editing to make the images more "cutter friendly". 

I am currently looking at either the silhouette cameo or the zing. I'd also rather avoid having to purchase additional software.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to be a crafty dad and make some cool things for my kids.  B)

I am selling my Blackcat Lynx which is a vinyl cutter. I am in the UK if you're interested.
    Proud owner of a Silhouette Cameo 1 and 3 and now A Brother Scan'n'Cut. Gallery ID number 8013
  • synergy84synergy84 Posts: 11
    edited November 2016
    @supermum Thanks for the offer but I just got my KNK Zing Air and am no longer in the market. Also I'm from Canada :)
  • GabeGabe Posts: 4,313
    @synergy84, the Zing machines have a very versatile tool holder.  Not only does it hold all the Zing tools, but it can also hold tools made by other companies.  This was a big selling point during the original release of the Zing. One benefit of this is that you can purchase a blade holder made for a different cutter and use it in your Zing.  Which means you can use very low cost Roland type blades.  Here is an ebay listing.  If you scroll down you'll see a grid with pictures of the various blade holders offered.  The one in grid space #5 fits the Zing very well.  It uses Roland blades.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Blade-Holder-Fit-for-Pcut-Mimaki-Roland-Cricut-Redsail-Cutting-Plotter/121056356342?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=39107&meid=6051fe87df054e4b97ab469bb17e0e84&pid=100011&rk=3&rkt=12&sd=120829436161
This discussion has been closed.