We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

cutting out 'Fill' lines by themselves first

Hi, all.  I'm trying to pull the vinyl for the red fill first to sandblast it heavier.  Then pull the rest and sandblast those lines.  Any ideas??
Appreciate any help  Pat in Kent

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 2,811
    put the lines on different layers and then just cut the layer you want.  Close the eye on the one you don't want to cut.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,754
    Well, you can just do that, right?  You leave the vinyl in place for the parts you don't want sanded first and then, after the first sandblasting, remove those and sandblast again.  Or did you already try that it didn't work?
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • pixelpusherpatpixelpusherpat Member Posts: 245
    Thanks @Di-lite and @SandyMcC .  I get that part.  What I mean is: how to make a layer with just the fill and not the lines in the first place. Hope that makes my request have more sense.
    In fact, sometimes I'd just like to make a shape have a fill.  I don't know how to do that either.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,754
    I'm not understanding at all. I'm so sorry!  : (  

We need @Liz_A to weigh in on this one. She has a MUCH better ability to understand what customers want than I do and usually, once she responds, the lightbulb will suddenly come on in my brain!  lol
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    I'll try again.  For example, on the bottom petals/leaves, some 'red' shadow/fill is in the correct place.  Some pieces are between the grass and outline.  I can't remove or I lose the side shape.  There's no line there, unless I 'draw' one in.  On one of the other parts of a petal, bottom right, it should be shaded and is not. I wish to shade that one part.  I tried @Crazy_Mr_Zing's suggestion about trying shape magic/ shadow layer.  That would do whole object.  Did go to manual.  I seem to be not connecting to making my own shape, fill it, and place it where I wish.  Maybe, I'll just have to hand-draw and re-trace.  The program seems to put shade where it wants tho' when I trace it in.  That's what started this imbroglio.  Thanks for trying.
    Question (being an idiot) could you use the shadow function to do it?
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Thx @Di-lite That was what @Crazy_Mr_Zing and I were talking about.Think small section of a pansy that has color.  I want to make shaded parts of a leaf, animal, or whatever where I want it - not where the mtc puts it with a trace.  And sometimes it may have too much, so I'll want to lessen its shape.  Hope that makes better sense.
    It sure does and of course I haven't a clue how to resolve it.  Hope someones comes up with the perfect solution!!  
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    How about this for an example... I want make the inside sections dark on the leaves.
    You definitely need three layers for light, dark and darker.  I would use a couple of small circles diagonally placed for each sector with a box round so that they can be easily aligned.  Then cut three stensils each with the sectors for the three effects.  By putting a larger box round with keyholes to match up that should resolve your problem.  If you want to pm the file I can set it up for you so that you can see what I am chatting about.  You can then use the same technique for any other files that need to be sychronised for your projects.  I did just such a stencil to apply glitter to one of my tiles in different colours.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Been experimenting - -  Think I'll try @Di-lite 's suggestion about three or so layers and then cutting one at a time by numbering each section 1 - 2 - 3 and pulling darkest, middle, then lightest.  Hummm  see what will happen after the Christmas deluge.

• samalesamale Member Posts: 7
    I might be missunderstanding but if the shapes are not filled there must be open paths in you design the measureing to is a good way to highlight with the breaks are
    Thx @samale ;  to you & @CrazyMrzing .  Both said same as @SandyMcC.  Yes, tried that and it was a great help for a lot of files.  When the vinyl is cut and on the glass, it's very hard to remember just which piece comes out next.  I was trying to invent a way to set my colors or shades in sequence of light to darker levels to print out a draft ''pull'' sheet.  Hope this explains better just what I was aiming at.  Thx again all.  Pat in Kent
    I finally found the thing I created three separate masks for the pieces are switch on or off according to layer to get the individual colours - for sand blasting you would either have to have the darkest ones showing through on all three stencils and the lightest on one only which would be the first one you would apply, followed by the second which would block out the first and finally only the darkest showing.  This was set up for glitter!  It's one of my lacy tiles.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,181
    I've not tried but for different shades of etch with blast Glass etching you just have one stencil and weed the parts you want darkest first then blast then weed the parts you want lighter then blast and so on
    then you can got further using blend techniques  
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    That's so true Crazy_Mr_Zing - Until I did my first decal a day or so ago I had no idea of how the decal works.  I agree - one stencil on decal with all the parts on and then take off in the order of depth required - deepest through to lightest to finish.  You would need to put them on a printout in their different colours with a code to show which colours get removed in what order so as not to get confused.  Whereas my example shows how to use a set of stencils for each colour to keep the colour/glitter separated out.  Mind you it does give an idea to what a system can produce.  Using paste I dont have the options for depth definition.  Will continue playing with paste and then think about sand blasting and the options that provides.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Here's a picture of my first decal attempt using paste.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Apparently you can use a similar technique with the etch creme weed the area required to be dark apply creme wait to etch, remove creme rinse weed the second stage ensure all traces of adhesive are removed apply creme again include the previously etched areas this the etching time is reduced . From what i read the timing requires a little experimentation 
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,713
    edited January 3
    GLAD to see you are back Mr. Zingie     <3 <3
    You guys are just great!  Popping with ideas.  Ys, it setting up the sample 'Pull' sheet that is ons guide to which little section gets ''pulled'' next.  one looks at each petal, for instance, and sees which one is behind, etc. or what is farther back and therefore should be lighter, Yeh?  It's a bit more finicky @Crazy_Mr_Zing ; when I use my blasting cabinet.  My problem child right now is darkening all of his shadows, middle, and highlights so I have print right in front of me as I weed him out.  Thx all  Pat in Kent.  P.S.  @Di-lite , nice decal.
    Yes I see what you mean you would need to keep the white parts firmly nailed down whilst doing the dark parts and only lift the light parts last after you had made a good impression with the dark parts.  The problem would be if you wanted to shade.  I'm going to try out a couple of techniques with my paste and see if one is better then the other - not got into shading yet - that's way off in the ether!!  LOL
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    I've not progressed to multi stage blasting and I'm not sure Id have the artistic talent talent to do free hand shading 

I have this crazy idea cooking what it you cut out stencils from card each one only having that stage of weeding cut out to use as a overlay guide for weeding
    might need to think about some more
    Thx again @Di-lite and @Crazy_Mr_Zing Wow!  I don't know if I could weed thru a card hole - - But - - I could sure take a peek with it  - like using a monicle. Peek, then pull, then repeat.  Sigh!  I have ten more to go.  Di, some sneaky shading can be done with A. Lite, quick frost. B. Thorough sandblast. C. Apply light brushed coating of etching creme and adjust cure times. D. Rub over sandblasted area with rubber flame bit. This method can give one quite a range of shades.
    @pixelpusherpat  I'm still at the crawling stage but have got tempted with actual sand blasting.  Looking into equipment at the moment.  I'm way out of my depth but that's nothing new.  The force was a big challenge and I've cracked the basics on that so here goes Di drowning!! LOL
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Try just a small hand blaster with nozzle and a quart or two of media, a cardboard box lined with plastic, some swimming goggles from the five & dime, a good breathing mask, and a few already-cut stencils.  Can have lots of fun with just that simple set - Oh, plus some kind of air compressor.  I started with a Hobby shop 2-cycle with an in-line filter.  If the designs are simple, one can hand-cut easily with an X-acto.  Try it - - You'll like it I bet.  Serve you just right for making us drool about all of your little delightful bits. Yeh?  Pat in Kent