We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC and Cricut

Friends-
I'm finally having to bite the bullet and get a new laptop... Which will no longer allow my MTC version be compatible with my Cricut Expression machine. 

So- What to do?

Am I able to somehow transfer the version of MTC that I have (haven't done any updates since it hasn't been compatible because I wanted to use it with the cricut still) and have it work with the current version of windows?

Or am I out of luck completely?  If out of luck, does MTC offer any sort of refund since their software is no longer compatible?

And if MTC will no longer work, what other software should I be looking to purchase that would be compatible with both the new version of windows as well as the Cricut Expression?

THANK YOU ALL, in advance!

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 8,945
    edited September 2016
    First - if you search the forum you may find some information that may help you try and transfer over your old MTC version to your new computer and try it and see.  Some are able to get it to work. If you cannot figure it out and get it to work, then no, you would be out of luck in continuing to use the old, well out dated version of MTC.

How long have you had and used MTC? Why would MTC offer any sort of refund years later- you are the one choosing to update your computer system and risk that old software will no longer work.  MTC is not "unique" in that new releases are released and older versions become "obsolete."  Anyone who has used computers and software programs will tell you that all software has to be "upgraded" and often has to have additional $$ paid to do so to keep updated with new computer systems or changes made to the program.  You can still update your software to the newest release, you just cannot use it with those cutters directly.  However, if you look around, there is information to be found about running two versions on one computer for those savy enough to want to do so.

This is not NEW news. Make the Cut has not been compatible with a Cricut machine for more than 5 1/2 YEARS.  (March, 2011).  (Which means you have had it and been using it for at least that long if you bought a legal copy of it.) You can thank Provocraft for that since they are the ones who sued all 3rd party software program vendors to prevent you from using anything BUT their cartridges and programs.  He did attempt to "workaround" for Cricut users who already had the programs - he introduced the plugins for cutters but PC sued him AGAIN for a 2nd time and demanded that ability be removed for their machines. Those lawsuits were settled - PC didn't "win" - but the little guy cannot afford to pay the attorney fees to fight.

There is NO other program that will work with the Cricut Expressions period no matter what version of windows or computer you are using.  As explained above.  PC stopped them all.  If you find any one selling a program that they claim to do so, they are selling it illegally.  (For example, I know some have tried to sell old SCAL programs they claim are compatible with the Cricut line BUT they are illegal, bootlegged copies and do not work.)

Your only hope besides what I have noted as things to look into for running your old version of MTC is to get a new cutter.  While I wouldn't get a new PC cutter for these reasons - if you got their latest "explore" machines with their online program - it will at least allow you to import an SVG file.  So you could run the latest updated version of MTC (which would NOT cost you anything more then your initial purchase because you can still upgrade your old MTC for free at this time) and export out to SVG and import into their online program and cut to the Explore.  However, before I did that - I would look at what other cutters were available that did not lock me into their software, cartridges, etc.  There are plenty of new choices out there. 

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Did you save a download of MTC when you bought it?
  • Wow, MeFlick- THANK YOU for such a thorough and well informed answer!  This helps me A LOT!!!  I was looking at SCAL hoping that it would work but it seems as though that would not solve my problem.  So, I guess I need to look at possibly getting a new cutter.  I'm not even sure where to start with that mission.  Any suggestions?  You are 100% RIGHT- I DO NOT want to be locked into their software, cartridges, etc, and I want to be able to use all of my word fonts and cut svg files.  That's the biggest benefit to me of MTC- cutting word (or other downloadable) fonts and svg files!
  • Did you save a download of MTC when you bought it?

I'm actually not sure.  How would I be able to tell if I did?
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Posts: 2,528
    edited September 2016
    The last version of Make the cut to support the Circuit was v 4.10 if you still have a backup of the installer for this or previous version and also the if required the plugin in your possession you would be able to install it. Due to the reasons mentioned above make the cut would be unable to provide these old versions
    SO unfortunately unless you have a personal backup or you can use the method of transferring the old version from you old computer your out of luck

(edited: thanks melflick I lost my train of thought midway and certainly did not proof read it hopefully if less garbled now)
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 8,945
    The last version of Make the cut to support the Circuit was v 4.10 if you still have a backup installer for this or previous version and also the require plugin in you possession you would be able to installed it. Due to the reasons mentioned above make the cut would be unable to provide these old versions
    SO unfortunately unless you have a personal backup your out of luck
    emphasis added

I would just note that not all versions of MTC had the "plugin" separate.  That was added later in around version 4.0 or 4.1 so if you have an older version of MTC like a 1.+, 2.+, or 3.+ that was never upgraded there would not be a separate "plugin." It was "built in" to MTC its self.

To search for the MTC download file - you can search for MTC.exe on your computer.  That would be the "executable" file to install MTC to a computer.  Often it is in your download folder unless you saved it originally somewhere else on your computer or actually cleaned it out from time to time.  (Many people don't.)  If you don't recall creating a "backup" of that file and saving it off on to a disc, usb drive, external drive, etc. that would be your only hope to find a copy of the download of MTC.

For a list of cutters that worked with MTC you can see their home page here:http://www.make-the-cut.com
    Couple of notes though - while it says works with all KNK Cutters - there is a new one on the Market that it does not cut directly to - there is presently no plugin for it - however - you can cut to it by exporting your file out to an SVG file and using the C3 program that the cutter utilizes. (So in my opinion the statement that it works with all KNK Cutters is technically correct - it doesn't say it cuts directly to all KNK Cutters - it says it works with all of them and it does - you just have to export out to an SVG for the file to work with the latest one.) It is the KNK Force.  Further - there is a newer Cameo 3 that was recently introduced that MTC may not work with.  However, be aware that the Silhouette company that sells the Cameos also want to lock you into their programs and their files.  If you buy their Advanced programs, you can import SVG files into it but you cannot export out SVG or other formats that work with other cutters.  It only saves in their proprietary format.  Their free program that they give away with their cutters does not use any format but their proprietary one.  There are also other cutters on the market that MTC has not been updated to cut directly to. However, several of them will import other formats that MTC will export out to like SVG files.

Only recommendation I have is to check out all the cutters that are presently available, see what does and doesn't do what you want to do, what falls into your budget, etc.  Educate yourself and then make an informed decision.  If you do that, you will be happy with your decision.

However, again, if you want to use what you have - search the forum for further information on how to transfer your old copy to a new computer and/or how to run two versions on one computer.  
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • juliefesjuliefes Posts: 4,796
    edited September 2016
    Information you need about using MTC with Cricut is posted in the file section of this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CutterSoftware/

• Di-liteDi-lite Posts: 3,006
    If it's a PC and you have not tidied up the download files you should find it in there! Hope this helps!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • BeckieBeckie Posts: 568
    i found this in my files.. do you think its this one?
    You can use any one of those files if you want to. But 4.1.0 would be better. See the document to which I referred in the Cutter Software Facebook group. Step-by-step instructions are available there in the Files section of the group.
  • Thks so much, for your great answers, Juliefes. I have my MTC 4.1.0 & all my other exe files, which I have saved on a flash drive. Will the MTC 4.1.0 version comptabile with Windows 10? (which now comes standard on any new laptop that is bought)

Thks

Sharon

MTC 4.1.0 works fine for me on Windows 10.
  • Hi, everyone!  I FINALLY just got the new laptop and I'm setting it up now.  Looks like I need approval to join that facebook group so I can download the 4.1.0 version.  Is anyone an admin on there that can approve me?
  • GabeGabe Posts: 4,313
    What FB group are you referring to?
  • @courtneylsu ; this video might be useful too 

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files