We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

is there a way to use images as textures to fill the constructed planes?

I would like to use an image to trace and use that image as a texture on each plane. I do not see a way to do this within the program but requires separate programs.

Am i mistaken?

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,650
    edited August 2016
    Welcome to the Make the Cut Forum where We Discuss Make the Cut Software, Popup Card Studio Software and the Supported Cutting Machines
    It often helps us help you if you can include a MTC file so we can see the file your working with of course there are times you may wish to keep your file private in that case a screen capture of your MTC screen is a good alternative 

There is a way to do what i think your asking but one thing first the shape you want to fill with the image (texture) must be a closed path
    there are a number of ways to add texture to a shape so its dependant on the look you want and the shapes you working with

I like this way as i can position the pattern where i like 
    pixel trace in you texture image using a pixel threshold of 255 also tick the texturize path
    ensure the imported texture in above the shape you want to inset the texture
    (that is position in the layer higher than the shape you want to fill

select the texture and the shape that behind do a join and than a break

click off the shape them drag away the texture that should leave the other shape containing the texture

hope that makes some sense like i say it sometime easier for us to help if you can include the MTC file you working with that way provide tips directly relating to your file . on most browser you can drag and drop your file into the message box

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,363
    @behold3d - you can put a shape on the mat, select it, right click it and choose Change Color/Texture/Line => Select Texture... I do not understand what you mean by constructed planes, do you mean you are designing wooden airplanes or do you mean plane as in a layer? Can you share a picture of what you are trying to achieve?
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,650
    edited August 2016
    Oh i see you've ask this in Help for Popup Card Studio disregard my comment that for make the cut

I don't think popup card studio supports texture at all
    you can select solid colour fills for the shape
    If you export the svg and import it to make the cut you can add texture before you cut the file . I guess you could use other applications

there is method where you pixel trace in your textured shapes into MTC copy the outlines of those shape to PCS design you card the export back to MTC and add the textures back in 
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • behold3dbehold3d Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2016
    that was my experience as well.

BTW thanks everyone for your advice.

I am evaluating a purchase of the popup card studio.

The ability to pixel trace an image and apply the image to the plane is what I am seeking. 

Ideally, I am looking for this in a single interface. Doesn't look like anyone offers that, though.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,009
    Make the Cut should be able to do exactly what you need, based on my understanding of your initial question.  Popup Card Studio would not be the best choice for that.

But I also agree that fully understanding what you mean by "plane" would be helpful.  I'm interpreting that to mean various layers with different shapes.  Maybe you could attach some screenshots or even find a link on the Internet that will help us understand?
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    well, the intent is to make a popup card so that's why i was using popup card studio. 

In Popup card studio you have the ability to position a plane or import a svg to use as one level of your popup card.

i would like the ability in popupcard studio to import an image, position it, trace it and use that image to texture the cut out on that plane.

Other popup card programs call that underglaze but there is no way to apply the "underglaze" as a texture... which would be valuable imo

• GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,347
    @SusanBluerobot, here is a question that I think your expertise will be very helpful.  Can you give any assistance to behold3d when it comes to using a texture on a popup plane?  Is that something that requires MTC to achieve?  Thank you.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,320
    edited August 2016
    I am not Susan, but Yes - you cannot do node editing or texture editing in popcard Studio. You cannot trace - so sorry @behold3d it doesn't do what you seem to need. You can shadow and weld and move shapes around, but not what you call underlaze. You can move shapes from MTC to popupcard studio. I have done a lot of textured popup cards using both programs in concert.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,320
    edited August 2016
    This was done using popup card studio and MTC. I had helped Rachel @Meow with the front that  she designed, then I changed it  slightly and designed the back in popupcard studio and then did a pnc popup card using MTC to add the texture for my DD last birthday. I do not think I shared this card befor, but it is a recent example of what I am talking about.

Post edited by leslie6111 on
    I looked over these tutorials. @SusanBluerobot has been an awesome resource... Oh well. Thanks everyone for your help.
  • SusanBluerobotSusanBluerobot Member Posts: 1,178
    OK I am on my way out the door for the day but i thought i would put these two old videos on heer in the hope it helps answer it . IF not please ask in here and I will check soon as i get home tonight and make another video

Bye for now, Susan susanbluerobot@gmail.com | www.susanbluerobot.com I am an affiliate for Popup Card Studio™. If you are considering purchasing Popup Card Studio, please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate for Make the Cut™. If you are considering purchasing Make the cut , please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate of Scrap Factory™. if you are considering purchasing Scrap Factory , please use this link and support my blog!
This discussion has been closed.