We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Will MTC be compatible with the Shillouette 3?

Melissa CMelissa C Member Posts: 1
i am looking into upgrading my cameo to the new machine that will be released fall of 2016 will my MTC  software work still?

Best Answer

Answers

• JaneDough99_TanyaJaneDough99_Tanya Member Posts: 1,649
    I am wondering the same thing too...my cameo seems to be on it's last leg and was looking to upgrade to the 3 possibly but only if it works with my mtc
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,492
    You could also ask Silhouette this question I would guess these days any plugin development would be at the request of the machines manufacturer or at least with their express permission.
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 83
    edited December 2016
    @Melissa, Silhouette America has a different strategy that Provo Craft/Cricut (Bank of America holding) has. Silhouette America sells machines and their accessories, include a software upgrade. That means you can buy a cutter machine from then and be free to use their free standard software (Silhouette Studio v4 is on the corner), buy an upgraded version (Designer Edition) or use your MTC software, for example. Because "we, the people" love freedom, Silhouette Cameo became the bestseller cutter machine. So, I think that Silhouette America will continue with this strategy. @Liz_A is correct... because the new head system, MTC must be updated to be able to work with this new system, so it depends more what MTC company intends to do, in my view. 
    "Should I stay or should I go..." You must go forward always! If there is a better and approved technology (hardware or software) out there go and get it!
    Post edited by tuicarlos on
  • amberlinkamberlink Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2016
    So I emailed MTC directly to ask if there would be plans for a plug in for the silhouette 3. They said no, not at this time. I just don't understand why they would not want to do that for loyal customers that have used their product for years. I have years worth of cutting files created in MTC that now I won't be able to cut as I was bought a silhouette 3 as a present. It just makes me so sad. The whole reason I bought make the cut in the past after much research is that we're always making improvements on the software and we're compatible
    With many machines. So will I now have to import
    Every design I made into silhouette studio (basic edition) which probabaly doesn't have all the functions I currently have or buy a higher version of silhouette studio. I am just really at a loss what to do, I really can't return the present. I have no idea if silhouette studio is comparable or is there now a different software that I should look at?
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,849
    You can download the trial version of Sure Cuts a Lot and see if you like it.  The plugin for the Silhouette Cameo 3 has been added to it and SCAL is very similar to MTC in terms of functionality.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,784
    MTC is working with the basic functions of Cameo 3, however, it will not work with the new features.
    @amberlink, this is one more reason why I'm "fighting" with some users here about the importance of updates and upgrades. Some of them don't expect any update or upgrade from MTC because they don't need nothing. In my opinion this is too bad for the future of MTC but everybody will be very happy if Andy releases a new version. Believe me!
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 2,944
    @tuicarlos - updates are not all for the better - I've watch programs go for easy to use and when upgraded everything has changed and you need a university degree to use it.  PSP is one which when taken over and upgraded became yuk.  Another was a lovely art program that the same people bought and destroyed!  It originally cost £50 but now costs £300 after they got their hands on it and destroyed it!! My previous drawing program (Greenstreet Draw) was only upgraded a couple of times and quite honestly unnecessarily - it only worked for those who were heavily into drawing programs and were looking for a cad style - fashion isn't always the best.  Programmers still have a lot to learn that we, the users, are not all nerds!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • wannacutwannacut Member Posts: 55
    I don't think the point of the discussion was about fashionable or unnecessary add ons, @Di-lite. As far as I understood the previous and other posts in related threads, the main concern was about compatibility with other cutters. If MTC does not support the new Cameo, nor the new Pazzles, nor the KNK Force, I can very well see that people wish that to be changed.
    @wannacut  I agree but I don't think it is going to happen.  Sad as I think quite a few of us would like it to work with the other machines you mentioned.  Oh well we can hope.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    edited December 2016

@Di-lite, first, updates and upgrades are optional, except the Windows 10 updates. So, you can choose if you want to follow or not the evolution of technology. The problem is not having an option!

Second, medicines to cure (updates) and medicines to rejuvenate (upgrades) both have side effects so you can decide whether to use them or not. The problem is not having a cure!

Corel has a very aggressive marketing. They release one or two updates so they release a new version as a paid upgrade with some improvements and all necessary fixes. So, you can expect spending the same amount per year to have your software always updated. Others companies started following this strategy. But, you still can decide if you want or not an upgrade. If you are satisfied with you have in your current version good but the software will continue having updates and upgrades, of course.

I use a lot of software and PSP is one of them. Yes! There is something bad now but a lot of good too and you know that. Your comment is very interesting (and funny) and I agree with you in some parts but after the microchip invention there is no excuse for not seeking updates and accepting the future.

My all-in-one typewriter was very economic and never needed updates but its function now is just hold my retired flip BlackBerry inside that hole.

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,194
    @tuicarlos - I love your ironic humour =). Yes I will agree good products may go bad when a new company buys them out...a way of controlling the competition. I love to annoy companies like Microsoft and Corel by calling them up and asking them ridiculous questions, like for MS, new updates of Word...so have you addressed this bug (name bug) which has been in the product since 1997? No. Ok so I don't need to update then. For Corel I ask for each version, so does PaintShopPro now fully support the svg file standard? No. OK so I am not so motivated to buy it. I was told that PSP will never support svg because it is promoted as a photo editing program, and svg is not a photo type of filetype. I tell them I bought it way back when it was promoted as a vector graphic support program (by Jasc), and that I expect the program to improve in that area, and svg supports vector. Corel does not see it that way. They told me to buy CorelDRAW. I said no, because it does a terrible job with raster graphics - imho - while PSP does a great job with raster. So you cannot win for losing.
    @Liz_A  @tuicarlos  - I'll stick to my steam driven car for now!!  Mind you I've had my latest top of the line computer for a year now - it must be getting near time for replacement/upgrade!!  I ask you, when will technology catch up with history and become a reliable product.  The young have a lot to learn.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610

@Di-lite, you're right about that! It’s impossible to follow the technology very closely and even harder if you opt for computers already mounted. I prefer to replace the parts I wish instead of replacing all the equipment. This is an advantage of building your own computer. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that by yourself, you can find someone who will and for a very low cost. I follow the technology but not so close. I would never get in a line of three days to buy a new iPhone. I'd rather wait a few months and buy something already tested, approved and even for a lower price. Just remembering that we were talking about almost 4 years without any update of the MTC.

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,194
    I never want to be on the bleeding edge, you have the privilege of being a beta tester for the most part. I like technology that has a year or so in the wild and has it's first major patch released. I was a beta tester for Win 95 and Win 98, so I have done my fair share of being a tester...that was good enough. MS only listened to one of my recommendations, so why bother =).
    edited December 2016
    @Liz_A, believe or not I was a tester too but for only two days. We all have a little of the spirit Samaritan. It's a tremendous pleasure to be useful and help build something. The problem appears when we realize that we are working for free to the richest man of the world. LOL!

• SharonS_579SharonS_579 Member Posts: 164
    Maybe Andy should think about selling the company.

Sharon Greenwood, Indiana