We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Split Letters

7dogs7dogs Member Posts: 13
Okay, I am new to all this and a work in progress.  I am trying to do a split letter monogram and I followed all the directions and thought I was doing okay until the Boolean join, it wouldn't work for me.  Don't know what I am doing wrong.  Also if I select a letter, how can I make designs around it?  Like I said I need Make the Cut for Dummies.  I see all the designs on Etsy, but how do I make my own.  I am more interested in things to make for t-shirts, pillows, totes, walls, and glass.  Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,331
    You can only boolean join 2 shapes - Please post your file so we can see your progress.

1. type your word or monogram- no splitting so 1 shape
    2. place rectangle on top
    3. copy rectangle and paste it back and size down the width - stack your shapes so all are on top of each other
    4. Take the wider rectangle and copy it to your clip board and the boolean join it with the word
    5. Paste from your clip board back the wider rectangle since it disappears with the boolean join.
    6.boolean join the 2 rectangles together
    7 select all and then weld everything together to make shape
    8 now that you have the split word or monogram  you can add what you want.
    @7dogs we all had to learn - and it is a good thing that there are a lot of resources including the forum to ask questions. Which is not available with every program.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,734
    @7dogs welcome to the Make the Cut Forum
    When asking for help it is helpful if you can attach the MTC file that way we can see what your actually working with. we understand sometimes you may want to keep the file to yourself in that case a screen capture or even photo of your screen is a good alternative
    I'm still learning to
    If you following a tutorial a link to that well also help
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • 7dogs7dogs Member Posts: 13
    @leslie6111, thanks, it's not usually this hard for me to figure something out!! I can get through step 3 but then step 4, when I click on larger rectangle to copy I don't have option to copy to clipboard and then it gets confusing! ugh!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,734
    edited July 2016
    of I notice the rectangles are not concentric maybe that what you intend  I don't know
    one way of creating concentric shapes is the shadow tool 
    create the rectangle position it where you like then create a outer or inner shadow on that

eg create the outer rectangle  and make a inner shadow of that
    - 4mm or -.15"   mitre corner -  maybe deselect auto simplify

Now
    boolean join only works with 2 shape cureent you have 3 - the R and 2 rectangles

based on this is what think you want to achieve

try this

select the R and the outer rectangle only and weld

now you have 2 shapes 

select the both and do a boolean join difference

just experiment which you need to do A-B or B-A  

if you want the rectangle to have open end you could use the eraser to cut the ends off
    (hold control an look for the blue straight line indicators)

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited July 2016
    @7dogsmake first make both rectangles the same length but one with a smaller width. The copy icon is the one next the right of the scissor and left of the clipboard in the top header- looks like a page on top of the page. Select the larger of the 2 rectangles and then click the copy icon so when you boolean join you do not lose the larger rectangle. then after press the paste icon which is the clipboard with the down arrow in it and will paste the rectangle back where it was copied from. then booelean join the 2 rectangles so that they are spit open in the center. If you do a plain join then you might be left with a little edge. on each side.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,363
    edited July 2016
    @7dogs - Welcome to the MTC Forum.  You will find that this is a generally very helpful and friendly place.  Everyone who responds to you wants to see you succeed and achieve your goals.  There are TONS of resources for you to tap into.  For instance, there are recordings of Q&A webinars going back for years, covering pretty much every topic that you can imagine.  These are visual tutorials of how to do everything you want with MTC.  They're stored on the Vimeo video service, and they are free to stream directly or download to your own computer.  At the top of this forum message list, you will see an Announcement message with the title "Webinar Recordings on Vimeo".  In that thread you'll find links to every webinar that has been done so far.  To find the correct webinar to view, you need the Webinar Index files.  These are excel spreadsheets with a listing of every topic covered in each webinar, sorted by the year the webinar was recorded. Search in the index for 2014, for example, and your search term will show, likely, several webinars where that topic was covered.  And each entry will have a time stamp for the hour, minute and second of the specific topic's location in the webinar.  Once you know which webinars have the info you're looking for, go to that message at the top of the forum and click the link.  That will take you directly to the exact webinar you want on Vimeo.  The only drawback is where to get the webinar index files. And for that, there are two options that I know of.  One is to use the Search box at the top of the forum page and search for "Webinar Index".  That will show all messages where that phrase is used and amongst that list you'll locate the ones with the uploaded index files.  The other option is to visit my FB group where I have uploaded the webinar index files so members of my group can get them.  My group on Facebook is called Make-The-Cut and Popup Card Studio.  It is a fan group for MTC where we try to help people learn about MTC and PCS.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/MTCandPCS
    Post edited by Gabe on
    Okay going to try this again!  Thanks everyone for all the help!  Very much appreciated!!  Let you know how it goes.
     I got it!  Now have to play around with more and make notes.  
    @7dogs - Another excellent resource you are going to want to become familiar with is Sandy McCauley's website, ILoveKNK.com

You will find the user manual for Make-The-Cut there.  If you don't have a copy, I highly recommend getting it as fast as you can.  An extremely helpful document.  It comes in 3 formats, I think.  Online Interactive, Downloadable Interactive, and Downloadable PDF.  The Interactive versions let you use it as an ebook, while the PDF is best for printing.  Although it is not recommended to print the entire manual because Sandy makes updates and adds things, so the printed version would age.  I like to print just whatever pages I need, to make them easy to reference while I work.  I usually don't need the entire manual.  When you get to Sandy's site, to find the manual, go to the SUPPORT section.
    @7dogs - You mentioned that you are following some instructions on make a split letter monogram.  Where did you get the instructions?  A video?  A blog or website?  It would be helpful for us to know what instructions you are following.

As for the rest of your questions, as has been mentioned, boolean means "two".  Or more specifically, "a binary variable, having two possible values called “true” and “false.”  So you can't perform a boolean join with 3 or more objects.  If you try and it doesn't work, that is usually the issue.

When it comes to fancy letters, generally we use decorative monogram fonts, like Anabel and Regal, to name a couple.  Those types of fonts are designed with flourishes that are part of the letters.  If you want to make custom letter designs, you can start by enlarging the letter with the zoom feature and then use basic shapes to fashion your own curlicues or swooshes.

Pretty much everything you said you are interested in making starts with vinyl.  Either wall vinyl, heat transfer vinyl or outdoor vinyl applied to glass, metal or wood.

What type of cutter are you using?
  • Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,758
    edited July 2016
    Doesn't @Juliefes have true type split fonts on her MTC group?
    Post edited by Little_Berry on
    Gabe, I was looking on the forum at some old discussions but couldn't really see anything, I guess because I hadn't joined yet.  Thanks, I will check out her website.  I ordered the KNK Zing Air, got in about 2 weeks ago so I am really new to this all.
    @7dogs, old discussions can be frustrating. While the chatter may be there, often pictures have been removed.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,833
    Before using Boolean join, use join to group portions of the design together. You can use Boolean join on two objects, or two joined grouped of objects. There are 7 sets of split monograms available for free download, if you want to start with those. You can join the group here (membership is free): https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MTC_Tuts/info
    You can find the split monograms in TTF or SVG formats here:
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MTC_Tuts/files/Shared MTC Files/
  • lonestarlonestar Member Posts: 49
    I finally had to figure out a way that's a little different.

Create my letter and size it
    Create a rectangle and shape it to fit across the letter, longer in width than the letter
    Selected both the letter and the rectangle
    Select boolean join- the second option.
    This left an open space between the top and the bottom of the letter.
    Split the parts of the letter
    Select the top parts and join them together
    Select the bottom parts and join them together
    Move the bottom part down to increase the space between the top and bottom portions of the letter
    Create a very narrow rectangle
    Copy and paste the rectangle
    Weld one of these rectangles to the top portion of the letter
    Weld the second rectangle to the bottom portion of the letter

I'm no expert, but this works for me.
  • lonestarlonestar Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2016
    Here is the file I created this way
This discussion has been closed.