We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Is this a sabotaged file? [Resolved]

SawdustSawdust Member Posts: 306
edited April 2016 in Resolved Issues
I was asked to make a sandblast sign on marble for a local company. I asked if I could have the original files that were used to make the street sign. Took a few days and the company sent them. EPS files, they normally work really well. They do not normally look like this! 
This is a link to the company website and also I have attached one of the eps files. https://www.x-calibur.ca/  Crossed swords and name.

Actually I cannot attach the file a note comes up saying not allowed. Any idea how I could show you what it looks like?

David
I took the Short Bus to school because they told me it was "Faster".
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,471
    @Sawdust Have it up on screen and then print screen and save as a jpg. in a graphics program. You can do it in paint or PSP just click edit and paste to get it in as it's on the clipboard.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Just had another thought - you need to be careful due to copyright.  I would get your client to check that it is OK for him to use this symbol on his advertising before getting your fingers burnt.  The reason I say this is because he might have got a graphics designer to create it! That could also be the reason why it's protected.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,536
    edited April 2016
    First I have little knowledge of Graphic formats, but I have run into issues importing files where there are coloured shape on top of other coloured shapes MTC imports all the lines even those cover by other shapes so the result is many many smaller shapes overlapping each other . The file may also include masking layers they seem to cause me issues. The graphic design was most likely original design for print and or web display so was never intend to be converted to a stencil
    Maybe you could attach a screen shot of the result of the Import in MTC and explain the issues you having
    do you have access to MS illustrator  as I use that to overcome these issues
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SawdustSawdust Member Posts: 306
    I used grab on my Mac. Just found the save as in preview and saved as a jpeg.  I am not getting paid for this one it is just a friend gift. The angles all looked so odd that I thought it was intentional and not a byproduct. Too bad, it looked like a challenge!  Thank you both @Di-lite and @Crazy_Mr_Zing
    edited April 2016
    That looks a mess with lots of overlays on it that haven't been layered out.  Can you open the eps file in any other program so that it keeps it's original look.  Or provide the actual MTC with it in.   Can't get much from the picture.  You should be able to grab the MTC file (from explorer or the equivalent) and just drop it into the chat box and it should then be visible.  Just have explorer smaller than the browser and hold your mouse down on the MTC file and drag over and when you see copy + let go the left mouse button.  Then Crazy Zing might be able to do something for you.  I think it might be outside my abilities.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    I don't think I have a program other than MTC that will open this file. I did manage to attach it as the original zipped. 

The photo attached is what I will do with the problem file if I can. You cannot see in the picture, the marble has grain to it! Blasting it leaves lines like wood rings.

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,379
    edited April 2016
    @sawdust they just put a lot of effective security on the pdf. I have seen this before with some of my paper models like stray sheep - although none so far that I couldn't break apart and remove the extra bits. So no not unusual just a pain. Bring it in as pdf and then break and delete those lines that are placed on top and then you will have a clean logo. It keeps freezing my mac version - but it is doable if you really want the logo clean. Another trick is to transfer parts to another mtc widow to work on.
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,292
    @Sawdust - it is because of the gradients used in the EPS files.  I have sent you an email (to the email address in your profile).  Let me know if that helps you.
    I converted the EPS files to SVG files using an online converter (there are many of them out there - use Google to find one that meets your need).  The SVG files come in better into MTC, but you will have to do a Fuse n' Weld to close some of the shapes.
    edited April 2016
    @SBryanW wow - I thought they did this on purpose so you couldn't convert the files. I seen this in some of my pdf files. I guess I am the kind of glass half empty sort of person. What program do you use to fix this? I've been doing it the hard way - getting rid of all the stray lines and shapes.
    Thank you both, online converter never occurred to me! I will play with them some more and let you know.

david
    @Sawdust - you are welcome
    @leslie6111 - for these I used:
    http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-svg
    which happened to be the second link when I did a search on "convert eps to svg"
    edited April 2016
    Thanks Bryan, I book marked the site for future use - also never thought of converting away the issue.
    edited April 2016
    @Sawdust ; I opened in AI remove all the fill and reduced the stroke weight the copied and pasted to MTC
    These still some work to do you will need to decide what detail to keep and what to discard
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited April 2016
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing @leslie6111  @Di-lite @SBryanW
    All done! Here is a picture. The original file had incredible number of layers, I dumbed it down. Learned lots and would do a couple things different next time. It was blasted then masked and sprayed I hasdto re-mask a number of times to do different colours. The marble tile is one foot by two.
    Thank you everyone for your help.
    david

Nice Work
    I have trouble understanding all strokes and fills and that that either can have no colour.but they are still there
    Well the end result was worth the effort - it looks great.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!