We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Update for eCraft plugin

CroppyCatCroppyCat Member Posts: 103
Been waiting for years :/ Will it ever be updated or should I go elsewhere?

Comments

• AndyAndy Administrator Posts: 4,579
    Well, considering the firmware on the eCraft has never been updated since launch, then there is nothing that has changed. There isn't anything I can add to the plug-in that will change anything.

There were issues with the plug-in, sure, but a lot of that stemmed from the original firmware being very buggy, which is why we kept it in beta until a firmware update was released that I could then work with and pull the plug-in out of beta. That firmware never came.

Also, their own "Craftwell eCraftShop Pro" software hasn't been updated since 2012, so I am assuming the whole project is defunct. I mean, you can't even find the eCraft machine anywhere on the company page anymore.

So, with all that being said, there probably won't be an update to the plug-in.
    I don't often test my code... But when I do, I do it in production.
  • CroppyCatCroppyCat Member Posts: 103
    edited March 2016
    ok thank you for letting me know, I didn't know the update to the plugin depending on their firmware and I only know of one firmware update early on and you're right about their software. 
    edited March 2016
    I wish i had better news, but... i just think that machine was released about 10 months too early. It would have been a great option only if the kinks were worked out. But, the stage it was at was early alpha. I wouldn't have even called that a beta.

Maybe one day they will resurrect it... or even better, maybe one day someone will figure out how to flash custom firmware onto it and a community could drive it back to life. I've seen it happen before. And it is a pretty unique machine.

ETA: OR, maybe if you beg them enough, they would release the source code to the firmware! Now that would be a cool thing for them to do.
    It was rushed into production and the company made way to many changes for all the wrong reasons trying to keep everyone happy. Their end product was terrible one with many unhappy customers. Thanks for taking the time to answer me and your honesty. I do LOVE MTC.... will have to find another cutter that I can use it with.
  • yupyup Member Posts: 341
    @CroppyCat , my first cutter was an ecraft too. I finally gave up and got a silhouette when I found a great deal I could live with. I've been happy with it ( upgrade to designer edition software ) and I would recommend it to anyone that was frustrated by ecraft and wanted to move on.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,871
    eCraft is no longer in production. @Andy, if you have time and are willing, it would be great if you could contact that company to request the source code. Since they are no longer marketing it, perhaps they would release that information to you. I told my last class members that I wouldn't give that machine to my worst enemies. I feel bad for people new to cutters who started out with that machine. It discouraged new users. I hope they moved on to better options. I purchased the machine for its advertised innovations, but those never came to fruition. 
    I know me too but the reasons I bought it they never developed... might give it a go and see what they say. What exactly would I ask for?
    The source code to the eCraft's firmware.

There is a good chance they don't have it though. I am pretty sure the company who made the machine is from china and retained rights to the firmware/hardware and won't give it up unless they get paid a lot of cash. That's usually how it goes from talking with friends in the business.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,361
    Well I brought one and it was the perfect paper weight!  I gave it to a friend of mine and now it's a perfect paper weight for her!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    LOL @Di-lite ;I would call that a toe stubber, ha ha!
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,363
    edited March 2016
    I had one too - never worked well as advertized and sold it to someone who wanted to cut construction paper for pennies on the dollar. Much happier with the zing since it can cut more intricate designs and do pnc's - and now hopefully the force will be even better when they are done with all the updates.
This discussion has been closed.