We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Restoring a File to PCS

Somehow I managed to delete a file in PCS but still have the svg copy in MTC.  I tried to copy it and paste it back into PCS but it is really strange and evidently can't be edited, although I can see the print preview.  Is there a trick or is this impossible?
Member 30818

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,034
    Looks like @SusanBluerobot is presently online. Perhaps she may know. I don't. :confounded: 
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • SusanBluerobotSusanBluerobot Member Posts: 1,178
    Charo said:
    Somehow I managed to delete a file in PCS but still have the svg copy in MTC.  I tried to copy it and paste it back into PCS but it is really strange and evidently can't be edited, although I can see the print preview.  Is there a trick or is this impossible?
    IS it still in you trash ? Has it only just happened?
    Bye for now, Susan susanbluerobot@gmail.com | www.susanbluerobot.com I am an affiliate for Popup Card Studio™. If you are considering purchasing Popup Card Studio, please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate for Make the Cut™. If you are considering purchasing Make the cut , please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate of Scrap Factory™. if you are considering purchasing Scrap Factory , please use this link and support my blog!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,891
    if the file is not in the recycle bin
    There are a few windows applications the will restore deleted files if they have not been overwritten with out files

I have use one for long time so can't recommend one
    here some info I found that lists a few freeware file recovery options

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/freeware_data_retrieval

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 603
    I had such problems with my computer last week I put all the MTC and PCS files on a portable drive and deleted everything on the computer.  So the answer to my question is NO.  You can't restore a file created in PCS back to PCS without re-doing it.  But in the meantime I recreated it and fairly easily too, as I had images still on MTC.  Thanks friends!
    Member 30818
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,393
    Um @Charo, I seem to be missing some info. If you copied the PCS file to a portable drive, why couldn't you just copy it back again?
    you maybe able rebuilt the file using the svg and copying the shapes from MTC to PCS
    you would need to take some measurement off the anchors to work out what distance the plane the shape was on is from the back or bottom of the card

on window system deleting doesn't actually delete the file it just marks the space the file occupied on the hard drive as available to be overwritten so unless you formatted the drive (even then the file may survive) some files may still recoverable
    I guess it depend on hope much trouble its worth going to to attempt recovering the file
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,190
    @Charo  you say you copied the file over and then deleted it on your computer, correct.  Did you empty the waste basket!  Click on the waste basket and see if the file is still in there - if not see in the waste basket has it a retrieve option - if it does you might be able to retrieve it.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    @Gabe I wasn't smart enough to think of that.  Instead I just panicked.  @Di-lite I had emptied my wastebasket.  I was thinking all my computer problems were related to memory, which they weren't.  Instead they were and are related to Windows 10.  After yesterday's Windows update my Excel program doesn't work. These Windows people are driving me crazy.  And @Crazy_Mr_Zing you're right; my file wasn't complicated enough to go to too much trouble.  Actually I was quite pleased I remembered enough PCS stuff I've learned to re-create it easily and quickly too.  Another lesson..even bad moves can lead to more learning. 
    Member 30818
    @Charo  - I updated to Windows 10 early and it gave me a lot of problems initially causing duplication and losing the registration tags etc.  It really screwed things up and like you I panicked - I wiped the hard drive thinking I could just reinstall Windows and off I' go again - didn't work - the computer was too sophisticated for Windows so I had to take it into the Menders.  Managed to get it into a pickle again.  They repaired it and then the hard drive started cracking up which is why I had to take it in for a third time and get it repaired again.  Very expensive as I now have a whizz bang hard drive.  Third time lucky!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    @Di-lite It is interesting how Windows 10 is causing so many problems for folks but they all seem to be different.  For me every update they do, on Tuesdays as I just found out, another existing program is determined to be incompatible.  Infuriating!
    Member 30818
    @Charo  A fix that I would use is to right click on the icon and click properties and adjust the loading parameters down to a lower version of windows.  Should solve the problem - bit it could be that the registry entries have slips off.  Eventually Windows 10 will be OK - Cantana annoys me and the way it keeps ignoring your choice of browser when it sees fit.  I like the style but not the constant adverts etc. that it seems to have got into it.  Still I'll stick with it because I can.  I still remembers the first Windows got to version 3 which was as near perfect as one could hope for and then started branching out into the modern formats - they had about got XP under control when off they went again.  Very frustrating.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    @charo what version of windows 10 are you running Home or Pro
    ( I think if you right click on file explore and select properties it should show you )
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing It is Home.
    Member 30818
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,348
    edited March 2016
    @charo -if you had the pcs file on the portable drive, then you didn't lose it. Just reopen the file in pcs (if you do not know how to access the file from the portable drive, just copy it over to your desktop) and then resave it (save as) and it will be saved back into the default pcs folder. I do not keep my files in the default mtc or pcs folders in either of my computers. On my mac, I save to my desktop and then move everything over to a folder that I had created on my c drive so I can more easily back files up since I know which folder to back up. On my pc, I do the same but I do not need to use the desktop since I can directly access that folder on the pc with mtc and pcs. Periodically, I make both master folders identical on both the pc and mac because occasionally I change something on a file on my pc that I use for cutting because it needs to be modified to cut well  and the same file on the mac that I use for design is then lagging. It would have been nice if pcs would work on a mac, but it does not so I end up with duplicate files.
    @leslie6111 Lots of good information; thank you.  Even though I copied all my files to a portable drive in a panic I'm glad I did as I no longer trust what Windows 10 might do.  Besides I've been worrying about the possibility of losing files as I get more and more of them.  Good grief you have to run TWO computers and with different operating systems too.  Yikes.
    Member 30818
This discussion has been closed.