We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

PCS Closing

I wanted this tree in a pop up card.  It would copy but the minute I tried to crop one edge there was a message about some unforeseen error and PCS closes up.  Is it a correct assumption that there are too many cuts in this for PCS?  I had no problem with the shadow but I didn't want a shadow.  Or is it that after cropping there just isn't enough material left to attach?
Member 30818

Comments

• GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,374
    What was the "unforeseen error" ?
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,459
    @Charo - do you already have lots on page? I was able to copy, paste and crop without my PCS shutting down.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,802
    It pasted into PCS without error on my very outdated laptop
    to push the envelope I pasted on different planes 10+ times and still no error
    maybe try restart you computer and try again
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,343
    @Charo I do not think the tree will cut well - too many little dot circles. You do not need to shadow it, but it would improve with a little inverse eraser editing in MTC. Then you can replace the tree in pcs with an edited version and do not have to start over. I have had to replace components of a design when I have had to shadow or thicken parts. All you have to do after editing is place it on top of the other tree and merge them.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 590
    Oh how very strange.  This is not good news that it won't work on my computer.  I had nothing else on PCS screen when pasting it in.   Hmm I had no problems cutting it in MTC anyway.  But yes I do see various little dots that don't need to be there.  
    Well back to the drawing board.  Thanks all for verifying it is my computer, not PCS.
    Member 30818
    The other uneducated thought is did you have many other application open maybe pcs was enough to push it to far
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing Well I  had MTC open but that is all.  I think I should clean it up, eliminate little bits and pieces that aren't needed and try again tomorrow.  This one wore me out today.
    Member 30818
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    @Charo  another point that could have cause a problem for your computer is that it was doing a virus scan at that particular moment or even an update!!  Both processes could rob you of valuable working memory temporarily and so the program crashed.  
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    @Di-lite From the conversations between Andy and Susan last night, when Susan's computer was misbehaving, I think you spotted the problem.  They mentioned Windows does updates every Tuesday and I had nothing but problems most of yesterday.  Another good thing to know.  Hopefully today will go better...just about to start.
    Member 30818
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    @Charo  I hadn't realized windows did that which accounts for my problem yesterday with C3 and the Force.  That's typical of me explain to someone else why there could be a problem and ignore in my own case!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Windows 10 Is really annoying me I managed to disable the automatic updating as i
    I have it set to notify me .They did their best to hide this option

It appear i will have to revisit those setting as  Now every time it detects updates are available it pops up a message in the middle of the screen with only one option "Get updates"  it does not allow you to do anything else until you click that
    so I click "Get updates" and then have to cancel the updates on the next screen it i want to postpone them..

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,008
    Windows 10 Is really annoying me I managed to disable the automatic updating as i
    I have it set to notify me .They did their best to hide this option

It appear i will have to revisit those setting as  Now every time it detects updates are available it pops up a message in the middle of the screen with only one option "Get updates"  it does not allow you to do anything else until you click that
    so I click "Get updates" and then have to cancel the updates on the next screen it i want to postpone them..

Which is why I have not and do not plan to update to Windows 10 anytime soon on the PCs I have.  I see too much of them "forcing" me to do things in Windows 10 and I hear of issues in regards to their new Edge Browser as well. They keep it up - I may go all MAC! :frowning: :wink: 
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    The reinstall of PCS made no difference.  As of March 8 all of a sudden Windows 10 says PCS is incompatible.  Says it is an older file and the settings it is using are from XP.  I don't know how to change the settings to Windows 10 or even if it is possible.  At my wit's end and SO disappointed I can't work in PCS.  I hate Windows 10.
    Member 30818
    edited March 2016
    @Charo - I found this http://www.howtogeek.com/243581/windows-10-may-delete-your-programs-without-asking/ I am guessing that windows 10 had a recent update that removed pcs. It did suggest reinstalling pcs - and another article I read said to run a compatibility assistant or a virtual older version of window.to run problem programs. Put in a trouble ticket, I suspect others will have the same issue as their computers go thru an update.

I have not upgraded to windows 10 yet - I relly do not like windows - and lately not a fan of apple either.

AVG changed the settings on PCS from XP (don't know where that came from) to Windows 8, which is the highest version available on this program.  It will not work in Windows 10 now.  Is there an add-on or something available to make this program work on Windows 10?  
    P. S. @Andy I sure do agree AVG is very expensive and they want me to buy more and more stuff but for a non-computer person I guess it's necessary!
    Member 30818
    @leslie6111 Thanks for the info and you made me laugh, about not liking apple much right now either.  I spent hours with AVG and with Microsoft.  I think they removed the Windows March 9 update from my computer and right now PCS works again.  But I don't know what is going to happen when the next update occurs.  I had already restored my computer back to March 4, effectively removing the March 8 updates; have no idea why that didn't do the trick as the problem started on March 8.  They have no business making security updates that change the compatability of programs after we're already running a certain version.  Told them so too.  Like they will listen   Big GRRRR's.
    Member 30818
    I guess if we read though the user agreement it probably said they could . but it seem rather rude to remove an application without warning or your permission
    this even more so as it appears to be bugs in the code cause the application to be flagged as incompatible. My guess would be that there would be settings to prevent windows doing this its just know were to find where they hid them

@leslie6111 A while back you mentioned I should start a Trouble ticket.  How does one do that?  AGAIN Windows is closing MTC due to an unforeseen problem, which I believe means due to their update Tuesday they've suddenly decided MTC is incompatible with Windows.  All they suggest is that I go to the programmer for an update that works with Windows 10.
    Member 30818
    edited March 2016
    The link on the PCS page leads to the MTC support ticket system
    https://www.make-the-cut.com/Support/
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    @Charo sorry you are having issues again with mtc. @Crazy_Mr_Zing already answered your question for me.

if you have a previous restore point, you might try setting your windows back to that to get back mtc capability. If you set your internet connection to metered then windows 10 will not update on its own in the future. I think there is also another setting that you can set to let you decide when to update. Windows 10 doesn't seem to give the user as much control or choices as windows 7.  I only had a windows 10 computer for a short time be for we returned it and then fixed our old laptop instead, so I cannot check the last item for sure. I also do not know if you can uninstal a previous update like you can in windows 7. Did you try to uninstal and reinstal MTC? Sometimes virus software also breaks perfectly good software and a clean instal makes it whole again.
    edited March 2016
    Do you get any message saying the program has stop work or does PCS just disappear from the screen
    Check to see if you video card drive is the latest from the manufacturer

I have Window 10 Pro and haven't had a issue with updates causing the issues you have
     On windows 10 pro there is a way to get to similar options like win 7 . don't download download  don't install /advise when updates are available etc  using the Using Group Policy Editor which is not available on windows home but the is some webpages saying it can be installed on window 10 home
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing The message is "Windows has encountered an unexpected problem and is closing".  I got so discouraged this morning I just left MTC and worked in PCS, which is working after their updates.  I don't get it.  Will check out the Group Policy thing; see if I understand anything it says.  @leslie6111 Windows 10 does not have the nice restore points Windows 7 did.  Or if it does they hid it well.  
    P. S.  And now after hours MTC is working.  I really do not get it.  I am starting to really dread Tuesdays, wondering what they will come up with next.
    Member 30818
    There a free application named who crashed that I have used before it looks for the driver that is causing crashes 
    not sure if that will help diagnose the issue but maybe worth a try

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

edited March 2016
    @charo - it is under recovery- I used recovery and restore points  when I was playing with a new win 10 home laptop last week before we returned it back to the store. Also restarting a computer sometimes helps. So maybe that was all your computer needed. When we set the internet connection to metered - we couldn't receive windows updates anymore. It is good to do that if you are traveling and have to pay a lot for internet away from home.
    Sometimes windows will set a recovery point automatically prior to installing an update, but it is good practice to do so manually if you are going to add some new programs.
    1. Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.

2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.

3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

4. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

@leslie6111 What is a metered internet connection??
    Member 30818
    @charo - metered is like if you would be using a broadband mifi or tethered over your cell phone connection for your wifi and had to pay for each individual gb of data exchanged. Go to your wireless connection and change it to say metered and then the udates will not be automatic.
This discussion has been closed.