We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

gazebo question

I have made the gazebo pop up card and am wanting to do a double pop up by inserting a chair in the gazebo.  I have both files done and will attach them.  I did it using @SusanBluerobot gazebo videos on her blog and I did the chair watching a webinar from February 2014 where that was explained.  I have done an arched step elevation on the bottom of the gazebo. When I slide the chair pop up into the gazebo pop up, there are some holes (due to the rails popping up in the gazebo pop up) that need to be covered by the floor of the chair pop up card.  Was that as clear as mud? :) However, I am not sure how to accomplish that.  I have spent 3 hours this morning trying to figure it out.  Can someone explain it to me?  Thanks.

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,190
    Hi @Meow I don't do pcs but I think your explanation is as clear as mud (sorry chuckling here)  but I think those who do know pcs will know exactly what you mean.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,891
    edited February 2016
    I think you saying the the floor section of the chair pop is not covering all the hole in the base of the gazebo popup card is that correct
    I been looking for the videos as I was wondering where you derived the size and shape for the floor of the chair popup

hope that makes some sense

edit: Created this floor shape from your gazebo card just using the pen tool following following the step created by the vertical railing folds
    oh that clear as mud too

anyway perhaps the file will help

I'm thinking maybe there maybe a easier way

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MeowMeow Member Posts: 511
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I just measured between the rails of the gazebo to get an idea of the size.    Yes, the floor section is not covering it all.  The problem is the front struts are in the way.  The video that @SusanBluerobot did on the gazebo did not have an elevation on the bottom.  @SDollar did some gazebos with an elevation so I decided to do mine that way.  Now I am thinking I should just remove it and make it flat.  It will be easier to insert the chair popup.  I think I may be trying to run before I walk.  :)   However, I am not that crazy about my chair.  It is a little plain for the gazebo, but I just wanted to see if I could do one.  
    edited February 2016
    Just so I understand
    first you are cutting to separate pop up card one for the gazebo and one for the chair then assembling them together as one card ?

Keep trying you will get there you chair is ok once you master the technique you virtually add anything within the size limits of gazebo

This is how I think I would create the floor for the chair part

I'm probably doing it the wrong way or the very hard way and over complicated the hole process

in the gazebo card PCS
    the shape of the platform floor looks like this

so you need a floor shape to cover the holes

I use the pencil auto quad

selected all the auto quad shape i just drew and welded

then copy this into as the floor for my chair file
    if the chair is already there you may have to move the floor shape down on the z order panel

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited February 2016
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing that is fantastic.   I am doing it the way you are thinking, just inserting the chair pop up card into the gazebo pop up card.  I watched SusanBlueRobot's video of how to do a pop up within a pop up.  I am following that technique.  How did you get the view of the floor of the gazebo?  That is exactly what I need to be able to see what I am doing. 
    edited February 2016
    on you file set the plane to bottom at 0.246221 or hold shift and either up or down arrow to step down to the plane
    if you adjust the Transparent setting on the view properties panel it helps you see through all the other structure of the gazebo
    I think zooming helps with this to
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing thanks.  I will try that.  I think this will fix my problem.
    I waiting for someone to come on a say you could done it this way clicky click done
    or that totally wrong

• CharoCharo Member Posts: 603
    @Meow I do like your gazebo very much.   The floor adds a nice dimension.  
    Member 30818
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,348
    @Meow, if you brought the svg shapes into MTC and did a boolean join with the card base with the outer bottom shape - what would be left is the part that goes inside the gazebo. That would give you an idea what the area you would need for the bench. In a much later webinar, @SusanBluerobot showed a 180 card a version of the gazebo and made the bench into a slice form that actually swung from the gazebo. Quite an impressive card!
    edited February 2016
    @leslie6111 I just did what  @Crazy_Mr_Zing suggested and it worked but I am going to try what you suggested too.  For the method that Mr Zing gave me, my freehand drawing is not that great.  I had to go in and do some cropping to get straight lines for my anchors.  It is amazing how many different ways there are to do things.  Would you happen to remember what webinar that is that has the swinging bench? I saw somewhere on this forum where Susan mentioned doing that, but there was no mention of the webinar date.  I would love to see that. 

ETA:  I loved your suggestion to Charo about the peacock tail.  I am currently working on that card too and that is a great suggestion.  Now I am off to look for a peacock tail.
    @Meow, no to which webinar. I would have to look back too - but it would be a couple of months after the initial gazebo ones that she showed the card, There might be a picture on her blog though.
    @leslie6111 thanks.  I will start looking.
    @Meow I found a picture of the swing and gazebo by doing a search on Susan's web site but I cannot find the webinar.  There is an index of the webinars available that might help you....I can't open them for some reason.  The card is a 180 gazebo and it is just stunning.  If you find the webinar could you please let me know?  This is what I had wanted to do with my easter card...make a slice form egg that swing but had no idea how.
    Member 30818
    @Charo,  I am going to look for it.  I have not seen it her blog so I will go look for it and if I find it I will let you know.  My guess would be that the webinar is somewhere around the same date as her blog post.  
    @leslie6111 did SusanBlueRobot give a tutorial on how that swing card?  I would love to make it myself.  
    @Meow, @Charo - I know she showed it on a webinar, but not how to make it. As far as how it is connected - I think it was in a 2 piece washer mechanism - glued in top of each other -  where one had a opening and the other covered the opening. You will have to ask her for more info. I have not tried doing either the gazebo or the bench. It did swing - and was a very impressive card.
    edited February 2016
    @Charo, look at the May 5, 2015 webinar video beginning at the 30 second mark.  It is not about the swing, but I think this may be what we need for the swing.  In this webinar, @SusanBluerobot demonstrates how to make a Mother's day card with a hanging sign that swings.  Here is link to a post and video on her blog about it too: http://www.susanbluerobot.com/2015/05/80-mothers-day-card-2015.html
    The video on her blog just shows the card in action and not how to do it.  I did a search on this forum too and Susan said that the gazebo is just basically mirror imaged on the back to form the 180 pop up card except there is no doorway to the gazebo on the back.  
    @leslie6111 does it work like the Mother's Day card she demonstrated during the May 5, 2015 webinar beginning at the 30 second mark?  It consists of a sign that swings.
    @MEOW - Yes - that is the type of mechanism she used.
    @leslie6111  thanks.  That give me and @Charo somewhere to start.
    Thanks @leslie6111 and @Meow  I am very impressed you found the webinar that answers the question.  Thought Susan was just  too clever to make little rings to hang things from.  I guess that is the trick:  think how it works in real life then find a way to make it in paper.  
    Member 30818
    edited February 2016
    Meow said:
     For the method that Mr Zing gave me, my freehand drawing is not that great.  I had to go in and do some cropping to get straight lines for my anchors.  
    @ Meow If you use Auto Quad and find the correct snapping point to draw multiple rectangles then weld them together
    witt such a complicated design find the correct snapping point can be tricky

I tried the SVG shape method in MTC didn't seem to find a simple way of achieving what I needed . I could created the shape of the actually hole on the floor but not the full floor cover with much node editing required the PCS snapping seem to make it simpler for me
    But I look forward to hear if your able to find way in MTC
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    @charo I am wondering what Susan put the holes into inside the gazebo to hang the swing from?
    @leslie6111 I just watched the video demonstrating the swinging mothers day card and Susan mentioned that at some point she was going to show how she did the sliceform swing for the gazebo.  Do you know if she ever did that?
    @Meow - no, but I suspect one of the pillars. Just email her and ask. She should be up having her morning cocoa. Like I said, I never tried making her card.
    @leslie6111  thanks. Maybe we can get her to do it at next week's webinar.
    edited February 2016
    I studied the video of the gazebo with swing It appears there a extra rail in the roof space the swing hand from
    and I guessing the swing sort of twists to one side as it fold. not much help I guess as I'm still puzzled the seat all fits together
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing yes I was looking at that too.  That is what it looks like.   Also, I wondered how the two halves of the cards were attached at the back since each card would be open at the back.  it looks like there is an extra piece that they are glued to..I think..
  • SusanBluerobotSusanBluerobot Member Posts: 1,178
    Meow said:
    @leslie6111 I just watched the video demonstrating the swinging mothers day card and Susan mentioned that at some point she was going to show how she did the sliceform swing for the gazebo.  Do you know if she ever did that?

NO cause
    Here is the thing if the swing  was easy to work out for a lesson I would have done it by now but It took me 7 times to get the first swing right (too heavy on either they back or the front each time that it did not hang or close properly ) and then when i did get it right with a little scissors cutting here and a little scissors cutting there . I then tried on two occasions to make a video of it and was hard to get it so it hung straight so I was unable to publish either video cause i have not worked out how to do the sides of the swing with out LOTSSSSSSS of trial and error to get it to hang and close right in the video

Bye for now, Susan susanbluerobot@gmail.com | www.susanbluerobot.com I am an affiliate for Popup Card Studio™. If you are considering purchasing Popup Card Studio, please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate for Make the Cut™. If you are considering purchasing Make the cut , please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate of Scrap Factory™. if you are considering purchasing Scrap Factory , please use this link and support my blog!
    I studied the video of the gazebo with swing It appears there a extra rail in the roof space the swing hand from
    and I guessing the swing sort of twists to one side as it fold. not much help I guess as I'm still puzzled the seat all fits together
    Yes it is an extra railing between the back and front of the 90* cards before glueing together
    Bye for now, Susan susanbluerobot@gmail.com | www.susanbluerobot.com I am an affiliate for Popup Card Studio™. If you are considering purchasing Popup Card Studio, please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate for Make the Cut™. If you are considering purchasing Make the cut , please use this link and support my blog! I am an affiliate of Scrap Factory™. if you are considering purchasing Scrap Factory , please use this link and support my blog!
    edited February 2016
    @SusanBluerobot  thank you.  I understand.  I have been studying the swing in the pictures on your blog to see if  I can wrap my mind around it.  That card is the prettiest card ever.  When you glued the two gazebos together to make the 180 deg card, how did you handle the open backs of each card?  I guess I am asking what you put the glue on to glue them together?
    Meow said:
      Also, I wondered how the two halves of the cards were attached at the back since each card would be open at the back.  it looks like there is an extra piece that they are glued to..I think..
    on the 180 you have to cut a shadow on the 0 plane on both the back and the front to have a solid back to glue back to front (see attached two photsos)
    @SusanBluerobot that makes sense.  Thanks.  I could see that piece on your card but I could not decide what it was.
    edited February 2016
    And this is what the hanger looks like (piece down the bottom and that is where it will be glued as you add the back and front together
    @SusanBluerobot thank you for showing the hanger.
    Oh and the donut rings are welded to the bar
    edited February 2016
    @SusanBluerobot do you think you might could take some really closeup pictures of your swing so that I (and anyone else who is interested) can try to reproduce it on our own?  I have studied it in the pics on your blog but there are some things I cannot see clearly.  If not, that is no problem.
    Meow said:
    @SusanBluerobot do you think you might could take some really closeup pictures of your swing so that I (and anyone else who is interested) can try to reproduce it on our own?  I have studied it in the pics on your blog but there are some things I cannot see clearly.  If not, that is no problem.
    Wish I could for you but I made it as a birthday card and I gave it long ago and i dont have a file of the swing as i said there was a lot of alterations done with scissors and blades that the file was nothing like the  one that turned out right .

The thing is each time either the seat or the back of the seat were too heavy and if it is not sitting straight up and down  it not only looks wrong but closing it does not work .
     P.S. and tried again this morning to work out  how to explain how to go about it but it is JUST not easy to explain how to make sliceforms for me (I spend hours working it out in my head and then i can do it )
    @SusanBluerobot Thanks for the information Susan.  I spent hours trying to create a silly little seat, not sliceform, and I don't even like it.  LOL.  The info about how the gazebo backs get glued together and the hanging bar helps a lot.  Thank you from me too.
    Member 30818
    @SusanBluerobot that was so nice of you to give that card away.  I would have been tempted to keep it for myself after all that work :)
    Meow said:
    @SusanBluerobot that was so nice of you to give that card away.  I would have been tempted to keep it for myself after all that work :)
    37 years of card making you can not keep everything
    @SusanBluerobot ; Thank You I could imagine it would be quite a challenge explain and to get just right everytime

I think the secret is the every piece is vertical (even the seat's slats are vertical)
    so sort of collapses sideways now the tricky part is getting to collapse the right way

Might just tinker with this a bit I got a few Ideas might just have to find some time see what I can come up with I like a challenge until I fail :(
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing , you have your hands full, it is quite a challenge trying to recreate @SusanBluerobot 's swing gazebo card. I've done a few slice forms too and even after seeing the card demonstrated, and also watching the video of it close. I still cannot understand how the swing closes. Usually slice forms will close at the bias - 45 degree angle from the slices- but this swing closes on itself at 90 degrees - or appears to in the video.
    edited February 2016
    I'm under no illusions it not just simple as
    an I might loose interest in this quite quickly
    I don;t imagine I will be successful
    I often while away the hours tinkering with some pointless and often unachievable project

I haven't even made the gazebo yet :*

and I'm  probably off course here aswell

But I still thinking it collapses either to the left or right

sort of like this

This is what I've come up with rather rough and ready

not cut it yet and I think some on the hole may need to be bigger to allow free movement
    Then there the problem with it tangling with the other parts of the card to overcome

and I just realised there's no way to hang the swing lol

@Crazy_Mr_Zing that is looking great!  Maybe you will figure this out for us.
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing The hooking swing to gazebo is the easy part
    And the swing is more than just a simple sliceform. My guess is this:
This discussion has been closed.