We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Popup Size Wrong and Can't be Changed

Good morning friends. I have spent the last two days glued to my computer learning to make the Cats on Stairs popup card shown by Susan in November 24, 2015, video. The size was supposed to be 8 inches wide by 5.5 inches. When I export it to MTC it comes across as fitting nicely on a 12 x 12 card stock but when it cuts it wants to go off the paper and is huge; it is doubling the 8 inches to 16 inches as normal. I can't understand how it can be sized differently in MTC. And I can't fix this with global operations either. It looks very strange so I assume it is telling me the size changes I need to make are beyond acceptable limits. Help please!!
Member 30818

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,345
    @Charo what I see in your MTC file is a card that would be cut 8 x 11 inch card. Try cutting this in wiziwig and not knifepoint. And I suggest you set your virtual mat to landscape. I haven't looked at the pcs file yet. But maybe you are thinking that pcs mat is in portrait as well - check those settings. I have mine set to landscape as well.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 590
    @leslie6111 You're right PCS was on portrait. Changed it to landscape, exported to MTC again. MTC shows it needing 12 inches wide paper. I can't understand how you can be seeing it will fit on letter size. So both MTC and PCS are in landscape mode, set starting pointing using wisiwig. It still cuts off the left side of the paper.
    Member 30818
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    @Charo I know nothing! But your MTC looks like the card base is a lot wider then the cutting part - is it suppose to be or has it got tangled in some way. I think Leslie may start nearer the top corner to fit it on letter size but she'll let you know shortly.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    @Di-lite I do think something got skewed in PCS as there is just too much area above the design. In MTC I deleted the outside cut lines and re-drew them to look more normal. Now it shows as fitting on letter size paper but it won't cut, no matter if it is landscape or portrait, and I am still using wiziwig. This has happened to me on the last two popups I've made. Grrr.
    Member 30818
    @Charo - I see this - see my file below - if I change the virtual mat to letter sized landscape. By the way when I do my popups unless I am doing a pnc, I do not bother to render the page so I do not have to worry about the size of the card stock so much.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    @charo - don't lose hope it will all fall into place when you least expect it. The penny drops and you wonder why you didn't see it before - it gets me time and time again - why cant I do it!! and then I realise I've been looking at it from the wrong angle. Stay calm and step back and look - you'll be surprised what you see or rises out of the depth of your knowledge that had got overtaken.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    @leslie6111 On your letter-sized file the card was too big to cut so I deleted all the outside cut lines in MTC, as you always do by turning off rendering in PCS. And it cut successfully. Now I didn't think the size of the virtual mat was significant at all, except in PNC where it sure is. Why does the virtual mat matter? As long as you can see how big the file is and place the starting point appropriately... And I just can't get my head around landscape. Spent my working life in portrait mode and that is just how I think any more. So I guess my problem was the size of the virtual mat. Lesson learned (I'd better add it to my growing list of such lessons or I won't remember next time around). Thanks so much. I would not have figured this out on my own.
    @Di-lite well you are right. Lots of those pennies dropped when I was working through this pop up. It sure did open my mind to understanding the planes and exactly what can attach to where.

Member 30818
    @leslie6111 I just re-read your very detailed solution to my problem with arches popup on February 7 and printed it for future reference. Sorry I didn't print it a week ago because this time around was exactly the same problem. Also saw that I never responded about my cutter and yes it is a zing air.
    Confused about how you cover edges of your popup cards though. All I can think of is you cut the shapes from PCS to cover the edges but those are exactly the same size as what you didn't want. And even so you'd have to use another piece of paper for the backing. So I think I am not getting what clever way you've come up with to cover edges?
    Member 30818
    @Charo - you can change the size of the cutting mat in pcs - which is comparable to your virtual mat size in MTC and not be stuck with the default 12 x 12. I do not mind cutting to the edge of my card stick but when I do I have to watch it like a hawk so that my blade doesn't slip. But not rendering the card base and then centering the cut and fold lines at the midpoint keeps everything aligned for me in pcs - that way I can make full use of 8.5 x 11 cardstock in pcs. With MTC I almost always set the the size of my virtual mat to the size of the card stock am using. I also have it in landscape. But my printer is set to portrait and I design right side up in portrait as well.
    @leslie6111 So far I haven't had a problem with blade slipping but I DO have continuing problems with paper edge catching under the lid of the cutter and then either jamming and growling so I have to turn off machine or tearing up the paper as it tries to continue. Really hate that. Have the mat propped up on both ends as someone suggested a while back but it doesn't solve the problem. It just doesn't like using all the possible paper.
    Member 30818
    Wanted to let you all know that I found a way to solve the size of the popups coming over to MTC. Now you should know reason I decided to buy PCS is because I am lazy. I want computers to do ALL the work for me. Hah. So I wanted to be able to send PCS to MTC and cut immediately. What worked for me was to tell PCS to scale to paper size if smaller in Rendering Options. That stopped the problem of having huge files come over that I had to re-size in MTC.
    Member 30818
This discussion has been closed.