We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cut not completed [Resolved]

hope9811hope9811 Member Posts: 191
edited February 2016 in Resolved Issues
Hi. I have been using MTC since version 1 with my c....t expre..... I recently upgraded to a Cameo for my birthday so that I could use the newest MTC features. So I am not new to MTC, but to the Cameo. However, I have a question....not sure if this is software or hardware related so I thought I would ask here.

I am having trouble with my cuts not completing. I've never had this issue before using my c.....t, but am having it now with my Cameo. The cuts aren't completely going through. I have done some reading and found that I needed to use the blade offset option which I used but am still having some issues. To give you an idea of what I was doing, I had this cut file and joined the eyes and the head into one cut which I almost always do, but this is what is happening. Can you see where the eyes did not get a complete cut? Can someone tell me what to do to fix this? I am having this issue on many of my cuts and am having to pull them apart from the main paper. Why is this happening with the cameo?

Thanks.
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,343
    @hope9811 - this is usually an indication of an incorrect blade offset, or there is too much drag on the blade, ie the blade is overexposed and catching in the mat and therefore dragging, the mat is creating too much resistance on the blade. Adjust your blade exposure, and maybe need two passes. I don't think your Cameo has as much force as your Cricut would have, but your paper is fairly thick.
  • hope9811hope9811 Member Posts: 191
    I will raise the blade then to see if it is dragging. I have used 1 or 2 passes and that didn't change anything so.... thanks for the new suggestion. I'll give it a try. :-)
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2016
    @hope981, if you have the Cameo touchscreen model, please check the Silhouette website for information about a firmware update: silhouetteamerica.com/software/release-notes/181

The firmware download is here: silhouetteamerica.com/firmware
    Post edited by gll5613 on
    I don't....I bought a first addition cameo so it has the buttons. Could that be the issue?
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,536
    edited February 2016
    Do you have a pen for you cutter you could then see it it a blade issue

Have you cut this file before successfully
    I guess you checked the the paths don't have gaps at those points
    Though it does look like a offset problem maybe try do some test cuts of basic shapes
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 51
    @hope9811, sorry, the firmware update is for the newer touchscreen Cameo only. I just thought I'd mention it in case that was the source of the problem. There is no firmware update for the first-generation Cameo.

The Cameo is capable of beautiful cuts. If mine were cutting like that, I'd investigate the cut settings (blade depth, force, and speed) and the condition of my cutting mat. Check the blade for stuck bits of material that might be impeding its movement. If you have never had a satisfactory cut with the Cameo, check for unremoved packing tape. If you suspect that the motor might be slightly misaligned, consider trying the suggestions offered in the second bullet item of the resolution section of this Silhouette Support FAQ: silhouetteamerica.com/faq/solution/cutting-vertical-line-only-motor-not-moving-side-to-side. (I realize that this FAQ page is for a different issue, but it's the only place that I could find the adjustment steps outlined.)
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,222
    Did you buy this Cameo new or is it used?
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    I'm finding that it cuts somewhat like this no matter what I cut. Even the basic shapes in MTC. Let me try the vertical line thing and I will get a new blade to see if that's the issue along with using the Silhuette mat instead of the old cricut mat I was using. I bought this used....the gal said she had hardly used it so I am hoping it's a fixable issue....maybe one she didn't investigate far enough to fix? Thanks for some more suggestions to try....
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,471
    Can I suggest you put up the MTC file - I will have a look at it and see if my Cameo does the same thing. I'm a little suspicious that the file isn't coming through in wysiwyg as it should. Those hiccups shouldn't be happening - if it happens on my machine then it's the file if not then it's your machine or your settings that are up the creek. Wont be able to do it till the morning (8 hours odd away) but more than happy to do it if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • CraftyGirlCraftyGirl Member Posts: 508
    @hope9811
    Are you able to get clean cuts using Silhouette Studio? That would help narrow down if it is hardware or software. Also, is Studio closed when trying to cut from MTC?
    Ok....I have played some more with this file and have decided it is a blade issue only with the CB09 holder. Any ideas how to fix it then? I'm beginning to think this holder isn't worth the trouble. It's been a nightmare. I did cut this file with the same mat, same sheet of paper using the original silhouette blade and it cut just fine. So obviously, it is a blade issue with the cb09. It seems most people are using this blade for vinyl, Does anyone use it successfully with cardstock? Any ideas how to fix this issue using this holder and blade? Or is it a worthless cause?
    edited February 2016
    Well at least you've made progress narrowing the cause down to the blade holder

I'm not sure if you mentioned if you have ever had a good cutting result with the CB09 Blade Holder on your cameo ?

silly question time you do have the blade and spring assembled in the blade correctly and inserted in the machine correctly

Are the blades for the CB09 generic Roland type maybe you have a bad batch of blades or given these are generic usually made in china there maybe a vast difference in quality between suppliers

That said I use china made generic blade in my zing and they work well

There quite a few pages about using the CB09 blade holder and very happy with it

ligayatg.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/aluminum-blade-holder.html
    paperpulse.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/a-better-and-less-expensive-blade.html
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Thanks. I have actually been to those sites a week or so ago and I belong to a group about using these blades, so I posted it over there today to to see if I could get some insight since it is not a machine or MTC issue. ....that's good to know. I naively thought that once I got the holder to fit, it would just work like my roland blades in my cricut. Guess each machine/equipment has a learning curve! That will teach me to get a new machine and jump in with an add on before I even learn what the machine itself can do. I appreciate everyone's comments and hope that I can figure this out. I added another spacer to my blade and it seems to be helping. I also have ordered a new blade holder and blades from a seller who has had a lot of positive results and happy customers. Here's to hoping that makes a big difference. I am beginning to think that I have a bad holder as it's literally taken about 12 hours to get it cutting at all.....
    Not have used a Cameo I don't know how the blade offset is altered but maybe you could experiment buy changing the offset setting each way maybe 1/8" just to set what the result would be
    But I guess if it was a offset setting issue the corners of squares would should the typical signs of wrong offset
    @hope9811 I hate to say it but buying alternative blades for the Cameo is a waste of time and money! I always buy the specific blades and keep 1 in reserve. They last a long time with gentle handling and cut well. Easy to adjust to cope with different thickness of card or vinyl. I find blades last me about three months before they get tired - but I do a lot of cutting I would think they would last most people a year! The little extra in cost is worth it as you don't get the hassle you are currently suffering. Ebay is good place to look to get them slightly cheaper. Good luck
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Di-lite, I think I am beginning to agree with you! LOL. What should be so simple has NOT been worth the headache for sure! I said as much to my hubby tonight!

Crazy-Mr.-Zing I am using MTC so I don't have the option of changing the offset. I looked into it and it is already built into the program because Andy is great like that! Thanks for that suggestion though because if I hadn't have already looked into that I would be researching that too.

On a flip side, how do I "tag" your user names in comments on this site so that you see it? Like Di-lite did to me?
    edited February 2016
    @hope9811 To tag someone you put an @ in front of their username
    ensure you have a space after as well or it does not work
    Post edited by Gabe on
    @hope9811 @Crazy_Mr_Zing Forgot to say use the @ key immediately before the name without spaces - oops put an 'an' !!!! Got ya!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • MendyRapaCatMendyRapaCat Member Posts: 499
    @hope9811 I have used the detail blade that I bought from that's scrap for years now and it has been spot on! Recently, I ordered the holder you are speaking of thinking I could use for different blades. Well! Let me tell you, I wanted to through that holder out!!! It would not complete cuts, cut curves at the ends, all sorts of problems! Went back to my detail holder perfect again! Crazy!
    I love my 24" Blackcat and my Cameo!
    My personal observation...the aluminum blade holders weigh more than the Silhouette blade holders. The Silhouette blade holder assembly is not designed to hold something heavier for the majority of the time. I think the mechanism is bound to be taxed with heavier blade holders.
    @MendyRapaCat Do you have a link for the holder that you bought?

@Liz_A I did wonder about that.....has anyone had any issues over time using the CB09 because of the weight with their Silhouette?
  • MendyRapaCatMendyRapaCat Member Posts: 499
    @Liz_A @hope9811 I agree I think the holder was too heavy for the silhouette because it made A LOT more noise and seemed to strain some with that blade holder. So, I have not used it at all with my silhouette anymore. I use the holders with my black cat cutter and as I said I can NOT get a good cut with the CB09 but put my detail holder back in and beautiful cuts again!

http://thatsscrapinc.com/1mmembossingnib-3-1.aspx
    I love my 24" Blackcat and my Cameo!
    edited February 2016
    @hope9811 So please it's been resolved now I know I was right not to be tempted to deviate from the Cameo blade and I was at one time!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    edited February 2016
    This showed up while googling today slightly date though
    clickbladeholders.blogspot.com.au/

I'm a bit puzzled why the CB09 worked for some and not for you anyway you have better thing to do that fight with bladeholders
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!