We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC not working RESOLVED!

salleyssalleys Member Posts: 484
edited February 2016 in Resolved Issues
I was cutting away. Everything was going fine. I tried to cut the file one more time and got a message saying MTC had stopped working. Windows would try to find a solution. I use MTC 4.0.4 with my old old old Cricut. I use windows 7. I have rebooted my computer, and restarted my cricut. The cricut is working without MTC using a cartridge. What next?
TIA, Salley
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,536
    Does the error re-occur since you restarted everything
    maybe try with a different file see if the file you were using has got corrupted
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • salleyssalleys Member Posts: 484
    I tried just using a shape from the tool bar. I get the same message. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will search for a solution.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,340
    @salleys - the problem could be the cutter itself and not MTC at all. There is a fix for that...its a kind of a song and dance routine, but it works. Here is an article on how to do it, follow the instructions precisely:

http://www.craftedge.com/support/cricut/cricut_reset.html
    Liz, I'm trying your fix. I'm waiting the 20 min now but I don't think this is the problem since the C was working with a cart. But I'll be very happy if you are right.MTC is sending the message to my printer to print so maybe it is the C was not receiving the message. Will LYK. Thanks for your time.
    Unfortunately that didn't work. Does anyone have any other ideas? I have done a complete scan of my computer, tried diff files, tried a shape from the tool bar, done liz's C fix, disconnected everything, tried a print which did work.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,471
    The only idea I have is radical. Check your hardware and see that it is working with it's original software. If it is roll your computer back (restore under help) to a time before it stop MTC from working. You will lose any new installations you have made since that date but not your files. It usually manages to correct a fault that has crept in after that date. If it doesn't something has definitely upset it - check your fuses (if it has any in the case) maybe one of them has blown. Clutching at straws but it's always a good idea to check that all the bits are plugged in on the inside ! Something might have become unplugged. Be careful though to turn off and unplug before venturing inside the appliance wouldn't want your hair to stand on end. Can't think of anything else.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    DO you have access to another computer to install MTC on
    that make help eliminate that it an issue with the Cricut
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Di-lite I can try a system restore. I know nothing about fuses etc.
    Crazy_Mr_Zing I don't have access to another computer but may be able to arrange that if nothing else works.
    I'll try a system restore first.
    System restore didn't work. Still get the same message.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,222
    Have you verified that the USB port selected in MTC is the correct port? As I recall, sometimes it would lose the correct port number and you would get an error message and not be able to cut. Also, usb ports and usb cables can fail, so you can troubleshoot those as well. The usb port on the cutter its self could have failed or on the computer so you would need to try to check each of those separately. Also check the cable which means you would need another cable to use. If any of those things are wrong - then you would not be able to use MTC but still use a cart with the machine because it does not require a cable or connection to cut with a cart.
    Since you haven't indicated that you have unplugged the cutter from the computer, you might start with that. Turn them both off (completely off - not just a "restart" with the computer). Unplug the cutter from the computer. Turn the computer on, then the cutter, do you hear the "ping" when the cutter is plugged in and recognized by the computer? If not - you may have a bad usb port as I noted on one or the other or a bad cable so next you would need to check with a different cable first to rule out the cable. If that new cable doesn't get you the ping sound - then you need to rule out the usb ports. I am aware of people who have had bad cables, bad usb ports on a computer, and bad usb port on the cricut cutter at various times so each needs to be explored as possibly the issue.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,871
    If you have Cricut Craftroom or Cricut Design Space open, you will not be able to cut from MTC to your older Cricut. Close those other programs, and try cutting from MTC again, making sure you are using Extreme speed, and using a working USB cable and USB port on your computer.
    Thanks Meflick. I'll report back. Have turned off but will check USB ports and cords.
    Julie, Thanks....I don' use C Design or Craftroom.Will check USBs.
    @MeFlick My computer makes the noise when I connect and disconnect. Does that mean the USB ports and cable are OK?
    salleys said:

@MeFlick My computer makes the noise when I connect and disconnect. Does that mean the USB ports and cable are OK?

Probably, now you need to make sure which usb port # it is you are plugged into and then make sure that you have that same number of the port selected as the one for your cutter from within MTC. (It's been forever and a day since I tried to plugin a cricut cutter or had that older version so I cannot recall specifics as to how to tell you to check that off the top of my head and I am not on computer with MTC or in a room with any of my cutters right now.)

Go Vols!
    I only have one choice when I click on the "C". Comm4

@ [email protected] Will you please have a look and see if you can help me. Should I reinstall MTC in a different folder? Not sure how to do that.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,340
    @salleys you won't get Bryan's attention with how you have put the space and the extra @ in the above. Its @SBryanW.
    @salleys - I just want to make sure that you understand that due to lawsuits by PC, years ago now - they demanded that MTC remove the ability to cut with that cutter and made them agree to not "officially" support it any longer (about 5 years ago now - March 2011 looks like from the updates threads area.) That means that you are limited to fellow MTCers here trying to give you suggestions and help here. (I don't know under what category Bryan falls - is one reason I point this out. While I don't think he is "official" MTC - he does do a lot to help them out. He does the Webinars, he is an Admin here, and he helps them with the troubleshooting tickets with support among other things so that might be enough for PC to consider him part of the help who cannot help with that machine. I don't know.) Hopefully he will give you any insight he might be able to provide if any. If nothing we can suggest helps you resolve the issue then you may simply be out of luck with using MTC any longer with that cutter I am afraid. I don't think attempting to reinstall MTC in a different folder is going to do anything for you. I still think the issue is somewhere with the cutter its self.
    Go Vols!
    Thanks MeFlick. I do understand. I was here for all that crazy stuff. I'll just wait and see if Bryan feels like he can reply.
    I connected my computer to a different C and got the same results. I did however have to use the same usb cable.
    You might try with a different usb cable.
    Go Vols!
    Tried the one from my printer. No difference. Also reinstalled MTC. No difference.i
    Does the Cricut Require the FTDI Drivers ??

Seem as it was working fine the stopped maybe something updated in windows
    (One of the many reasons I disable automatic windows update things can change with out your knowledge)
    That sounds sensible to me but I did a system restore to several days before the problem. Would that have worked if the problem was an auto upgrade? Any suggestions. I'll try anything......
    edited February 2016
    You can install the FTDI Driver Via the Help > Advanced Menu

Silly question you did reinstall the cricut plugin when you reinstalled ??

I think sometimes that does seem to work so you need to manually install them Sorry I'm always confused when I goto the webpage what link or version is required for what windows version
    I think @Liz_A would be able to point to the right link
    Maybe she will tell us where barking up the wrong tree too ?!?
    Well i think the plugin is there because my machine shows up in the drop down menu but how do I check?
    Tried installing the driver..no change...
    Maybe this will help...I tried to cut and did not have my cuter turned on. Mtc did not detect that. When I pressed 'start' in the pop up box it immediately doubled in width and then came up with the same message....MTC has stopped working.... This same thing happens whether my cutter is off or on.
    salleys said:

Well i think the plugin is there because my machine shows up in the drop down menu but how do I check?

Yes, the plugin is there or what you need (can't remember what version he went to the "plugins" - the earlier version just had the Cricut info. in automatically before he switched to the plugin) since the cutter shows up in the dropdown menu as the choice to cut with.

I don't know what else to tell you as I have never seen this happen with that line of cutter before and it is no longer supported as you are aware.
    Go Vols!
    edited February 2016
    I wonder if giving "Cutter Controller" is Worth a try I believed the demo version will allow cutting small shapes

I have no experience with this only what I read on the page

I thinking that may help determine if it a PC/Windows issue or a cutter issue

@salleys I sent you a private message with the link
    I'm still working on this. Thanks for all who have tried to help. A friend is coming over this afternoon to help.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,563
    @salleys, you marked this issue as being resolved. But your last message says someone is coming over to help you. Di you get it fixed or not?
    Yes Gabe , I'm still not sure why it stopped working but with my friend's help we were able to reinstall an edition I had saved to a thumb drive and it finally worked.
    Glad you had some backups and you were able to get it working again. :smile:
    Go Vols!
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,563
    edited February 2016
    What MeFlick said. :)
    Thanks to all of you.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!