We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Arched Popup

CharoCharo Member Posts: 604
edited February 2016 in Help for Popup Card Studio
Hi @SusanBluerobot I have been trying to make the arched popup following your video and thought it was going well until I got to the anchors. One side has an off center arch that I don't know how to fix. Anchors on the other side look correct from the top view but they don't look correct on print preview. Any advice would be appreciated.
Member 30818
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,349
    @Charo Sometimes the best thing is to retrace your steps. I opened a pcs widow next to yours and brought over 1 arch, centering each. Then I copied that side to the back plane. First off your zero plane is done wrong. I generally start there. I moved over the arch. Then you need to draw a 4 pt rectangle on top and boolean join that to with the arch "exclusion". Then copy the font plane to the back planes and flip center and move to the bottom. The other issue I found is that you had multiple copies of arches on top of themselves on the rear back planes. I know it is tedious, but I suggest you try again. I included the corrected file as a guide.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 604
    OK @leslie6111 thank you! I don't have a problem with starting over; just couldn't see what I'd done wrong but at least I knew it was wrong! LOL. So, I tried to fix some things by copying and pasting and you see where that got me. Thanks again.
    Member 30818
    edited February 2016
    @Charo it is sometimes really hard to find mistakes on your own. Anyway, I started this post http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/37808/pcs-more-forgiving-than-you-think#latest when we were all new to pcs. I had a few more tips on my blog but I took that down a couple of months ago along with my facebook page. I am really glad that you and Rachael (Meow) are asking questions. That is also how I learn more, so that is why I try to answer them if I can.
  • micki542micki542 Member Posts: 620
    @leslie6111 the 2 smallest arches are not score lines at the bottom. Do you just fold them?
    edited February 2016
    @micki542, It might be your rendering settings, but in my fixed version, I get fold lines, but I also have to make sure my printer is using larger that letter sized paper. Yes you do fold them. To finish this you would change the lines on either side of the outer back arches to cut lines so you can cut away the extra paper. This can be done either in MTC or in PCS. In PCS you would have to use the pen tool and draw a cut line over the fold line, but skew it slightly cause cut lines do not overwrite fold lines. I think Bryan has covered this in past webinars when the 180 degree popup instructions was finally worked out.
    @micki542 I had to size this down so I could export as raster - Susan glues the center of her 180's and cuts them out of standard card stock and I tend to use 12x12 so they fold in the middle and then hide the short edges. I added the cut lines so you could see where they go.
    Thanks. I see them now
    Do the fold lines on the bottom pieces of arch cut where they are supposed to for you @micki542? They look right on the screen but they do not end up where they are supposed to on the actual cut for me. Top arches are fine. Strange.
    Member 30818
    @leslie6111 Thank you for that link. Checked it out and helps for new users like me.
    Member 30818
    edited February 2016
    @Charo How are you cutting this card if your lines do not cut right? Unless you size this down or either split into 2 cards, it would be too tall for 12 x 12 card stock. Like I commented above, I do not size my popups so tall in the beginning. My card is set shorter to begin with so that I can use 12 x 12 and if I go out in z too far, chop I do not render the card but instead cover the edges to hide that fact.
    @leslie6111 I have a 24 x 14 mat and 14 x 17 paper. I downsized it just a bit to get it under 17 inches. But first I tried splitting it as Susan does; no matter what I did the score lines are not where they should be. Then I brought it over directly from PCS with no changes to MTC and cut it from there; same result. And the score lines look perfect on the computer screen. Discouraging as it is just a stunning design.
    Member 30818
    Sorry I forgot I need to attach files when I complain about stuff; LOL.
    Member 30818
    @Charo, just must be moving stuff around cause I do not have your problem when I try it with your pcs file. If you cut this on your 14 inch paper - you can do this in MTC either as cutting in 2 pieces or as 1 and covering over the short edges. Or you can cut this directly from PCS but when you render it - do not render the card base since the paper you are using is too short for the whole card, just place the center at 0, 0 on you virtual mat. To cut it in MTC Make a virtual mat the dimensions of your large mat 14 x24. Export the pcs file as a svg. Bring in the svg into MTC. I usually line ever thing up at the mid point on the virtual mat and then send each to its own layer. You can at this point size down the card or cut them in 2 to cut them separately.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,204
    @Charo If you get this to work can we have photos of the finished work of art (I think I recognise my vases hiding in the background) I would love to see what you did with them if I'm right.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    @leslie6111 Well that is worrisome that it cuts correctly for you! Now I am feeling not very smart this morning; what do you mean by not rendering the card base? Does that mean not to render it in PCS and that somehow makes a difference? Hmmm.
    @De-lite: it IS your vase pattern and I love it. If I ever get this to work I will certainly post a photo.
    Member 30818
    @Charo yes in pcs - there is a setting not to render card base. You can move the lines around on the virtual mat as well in pcs - I tend to center them when cutting from pcs. When it renders it defaults to the upper corner. I just drag it to the center line for cutting. I also can cut the cut lines separate from the fold lines. Let me know if you do not understand and I can turn on my pc and do a screen capture if need be.
    edited February 2016
    @Charo when I export to svg, and then import that svg into MTC - you get the fold lines and cut lines on one layer. If then you tell it to each its own - the mountain and valley folds and cut lines each go to a different layer. I think somehow you are not moving them all together when you are resizing for your card. If I would cut them out -I would cut them in wiziwig but make sure that the blade origien was the same. If I do it as a pnc, then I would need to have the base card outline turned on for when cutting both the fold and cut lines so that the reg marks do not move.
    @leslie6111 Oh dear now I remember seeing that bit about rendering in a video somewhere. OK I will try again as soon as I can; have to go cook something for superbowl tomorrow. Grr. How irritating that cooking has to take precedence over cutting LOL. Will let you know my success, I hope. I think I did try each to it's own layer but I also think it didn't work because I'd tried something else first and it wouldn't undo....
    Member 30818
    @leslie6111 Still no success. I see what turning rendering off in PCS does; nice. Exported to MTC, immediately put each to it's own layer. Then selected all and reduced in size just enough to fit a 12 x 12 paper, and that is also the size of virtual mat. My larger paper for the 24-inch mat is considerably heavier than cardstock so I decided to avoid that for a while. The right bottom score lines are off and even the top of the arches are off. Did it again only centered each individual layer on the center spot of the virtual mat; same thing. The wheels and blade are clean. Mat isn't really sticky but I see no sliding and everything else I am cutting is cutting exactly.

Later now. So this time I used align vertically and horizontally for each of the three layers. They moved a bit too. Then changed the score lines on the two layers to .04 and .16. They are still cutting off center on the bottom arch edges but at least the top of the arches are centered now. And oh yes: I changed to a new and more sticky mat. Better but not spot on. Very strange indeed.
    Member 30818
    edited February 2016
    @Charo by any chance do you have auto simply on, cause I see you merged a shape to your arches. If you do that might be skewing things. Are you doing the merge in pcs? were they off when imported the svg into MTC or only after you resized?
    Post edited by leslie6111 on
    Auto Simplify is unchecked. I welded the vase to the last arch in PCS. The score lines don't look off on the computer screen either in PCS or in MTC but they CUT off. And in MTC they look exactly the same before and after re-sizing. I am getting reluctant to print again; just seems a waste of paper on this project. Sure would like to understand what's going on though.
    Member 30818
    @Charo you seem to be having a gremlin moment. I get those and they drive me batty. It usually ends up with me proving I'm an idiot and missed the obvious. Pop your file up as you used it the last time and let us have a look. I don't do pcs but understand the geometry a bit. What you could have is two sets of lines one switch off and one switch on (the wrong ones of course are on!) Instead of cutting you could try using the pen that way you have two sides of the paper to have a go on. Also use the cheapest paper you have to do your prototypes on and only cut on quality paper when you are satisfied. Often when I am designing I cut three to seven times before I get it right. Particularly with my birdcages which I am still working on. They are a nightmare to put together as there are so many pieces. Mind you I think I've cracked it and just have to transfer what I learnt on one to the others. Don't give up - if necessary start from scratch again as you might be carrying over something that you haven't noticed. We're all with you on this one.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    edited February 2016
    @Charo how are you cutting this - knife point, wizigig, or pnc? If I am not mistaken - you have a zing or zing air. If everything looks fine on the screen - you bring over the svg into MTC and the lines stay lined up, you resize and the lines stayed lined up - either by selecting all before resizing or not putting them on different layers to after you resize - then it must be happening in the cut. And since I expect you will be doing more and more complicated cards - it is a good thing to track down what is going wrong. I usually have more problems cutting than designing myself. The designing I do is challenging - but the cutting can be even more frustrating. Almost never does my cards come out perfect on the the first cut. I end up going thru tons of cardstock - either I forget the lining up or changing settings between cuts, paper slips or things do not cut out well. It took me over 2 years to actually get the hang of my zing. Ughh!!!

Anyway, If you are cutting the fold and cut lines separately, then I do not think you can do this in knife point. For pnc setting (for fold lines this small I would use an embossing tool and would emboss first - switching the blade offset to 0 and at high force like 160 multiple - 3 or 4 passes and also changing the fold lines to solid)I would open the layer with the card base both times for both fold and cut lines if I was doing them separately to prevent the registration mark from moving. In wiziwig - the second time I cut I make sure the blade origin is the same (final). I guess the order of the cut - I would also do the fold lines first, but it would not be necessary to cut the card base twice. And I would make sure if I was changing to embossing tip that I change the blade offset. Susan does not -she leaves the offset to her blade setting but her cards tend to be bigger than mine. The other thing I do - kind of unnecessary - but I size my virtual mat to the size of the card stock I am using - I keep it in landscape and the blade origin is then at the tip of the right corner of the card stock as it is loaded into the zing (or the top right corner of the virtual mat). So if something goes array I can find it again . My printer though is set to portrait - I am a little dimensionally challenged so I can design right side up on the screen and that is the way it prints out for me, but it goes into the cutter sideways - long ways and I line the cardstock to the ridge in the zing - so when I do a pnc, I have a consistent way to set the reg marks or if I do wiziwig, I know where it corresponds to the virtual mat. I hardly ever use knife point - I just cannot get my mind around where the starting cut will be.
    @Di-lite and @leslie6111 thank you both very much! I was happy to hear I am not the only one wasting tons of paper and that other folks have more trouble cutting than designing too. I have been using knife point; seems easier but the same as Leslie said, I never get the exact same starting point. You know I looked at all the attempts and one half cut correctly...that was one that I sliced in half as Susan does. I don't know what happened to the other half; too many attempts sitting around. Also I didn't like what happened when I re-sized them slightly. A couple of the arches got really skinny. It's going to take me some time to get back to this. In spite of my attempt to spend all my time on this machine I just have to get trees and roses pruned before it starts raining again.

When I get back to this I will bite the bullet and get out my embossing tool. My my what progress: a couple of days ago I used my red blade for the first time cutting acetate. And it worked the first time...wow. Also when I get back to this I am going back to PCS and re-sending to MTC and starting over from there. If it doesn't cut with all your suggestions I will post file again. I sure do appreciate for the help. I had no idea when I purchased MTC there was such a thing as the forum. I think I am enjoying the forum even more than cutting!

Member 30818
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,041
    Charo said:

. . . I have been using knife point; seems easier but the same as Leslie said, I never get the exact same starting point. . . .

This is definitely at least part of the problem - you need to use WYSIWYG mode when you have different layers that need to be perfectly aligned, especially when they are layers that may not be cutting at the same time.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    @Charo I feel the same way about the forum - I'm having so much fun.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
This discussion has been closed.