We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

[Tutorial] Make a butterfly popup card

ThecuttingartThecuttingart Member Posts: 25
edited January 2016 in Tutorials
Hi all,
Today, I’ll show you easy way to make a butterfly popup card. I made this pop up card last year. I hope you will like it.
You can watch tutorial in this video to

PREPARE: First, we have to prepare some material to do this card.
– Cutting knife or hobby, craft kinife.
– Cutting mat (or wood/glass/ceramic board)
– Pencil
– Erase
– Color paper
Now, we start to work
– Step 1: Fold paper and draw a half of butterfly on it
– Step 2: Cutting outline pattern you’ve just drawn
– Step 3: Repeat steps above with other color paper, and with other butterflies size
– Step 4: Make some rectangle tubes.
Cutting paper to rectangle shape, and then you roll them to rectangle tubes in the same size.
– Step 5: Put tubes on background layer card, and glue them as this
– Step 6 : Glue butterflies together, and then glue them on tubes, you can also put some tubes between butterflies
Now, you have a popup card with 3D butterflies :)
You may be dowload pattern at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B67dWMjvv-5WUzNuVk14SUUzenM/view
Thanks you for follow.
Post edited by Thecuttingart on

Comments

• 1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 760
    edited January 2016
    @Thecuttingart it's amazing what you can cut without a machine. Beautiful card, thanks for sharing. ~ Diane
    Post edited by Gabe on
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,343
    @1cardcreator - lol I couldn't cut like that, and is the reason I have a machine, ha ha!!
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,330
    @Liz_A, coming from the glass etching world of the 70's, I did a bunch of cutting by hand with Xacto knives. I must have had 7 different kinds of knives. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a cutting machine. Can you say "tedious?" When I saw the Cricut, I immediately wanted one, just to cut my etching stencils. But then I learned that it used artwork from cartridges and was limited in what you could cut. Decided against it and started trying to find a different cutter, but they were so darn expensive. It took me until 2010 (or was it 2011?) to finally buy a cutter - my Zing. And I just got a new air compressor and other stuff needed to get back into glass etching. I may be slow, but I'm getting there. :)
  • 1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 760
    @Liz_A, @Gabe, I couldn't do the exacto knife cutting, I'm amazed you could Gabe. I bought my Zing because I was tired of cutting out the outside perimeter of the items I used to put in my pop up cards. I still need to figure that out! I hope to learn it by the end of the month but I keep running into dumb obstacles that have nothing to do with print and cut! Like my computer not recognizing my Zing as a cutter or my dyslexic inability to figure out what "portrait" means, lol. I've been cutting with no problems for 2 years, and now I see all this time I thought I was working in portrait, I wasn't, because I was setting the layout to portrait and placing my 8.5x11 paper on the mat in landscape! I think I had such a hard time in the beginning pencil tracing on the mat (because of the dyslexia) that I ended up using the old cricut/ scal set up. Who knows if I was doing that one right either, lol! Now to learn how and what to import and cut. I'm sometimes amazed I find my way to the coffee maker in the morning, ha ha! Off to search more videos, lol. ~Diane
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,050
    Thank you that's beautiful
    @Gabe, @Liz_A @1cardcreator I got a cutter because I could not even use scissors to cut - a roller blade cutter solved my straight line cuts - but a Robo gave me my first ability to cut curves. I'm lethal with a scalpel and get the shakes when I slash a finger. Now I think of nothing of cutting fine outlined work.
    What these guys do is pure magic.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • ThecuttingartThecuttingart Member Posts: 25
    With me, a cutting machine is similar a printer, they print every thing we draw or paint in graphic software.
    I have more than one Zing laser machine, but I only use them for paper, not for other material.
    If you work with glass or hard materials, you can try a CNC machine instead a laser machine. Because low price for CNC blade (compare to laser discharge tube), they also engrave more deep than laser machine.

On a base, both CNC and laser machine cut outline with vector file ( you can creat with a vector graphic as Illustrator, coreldraw, inkscape... - You can try inkscape, it free and powerful) . And they engrave with bitmap or 3D file.
    Some of free graphic software you can try:
    - 2D bitmap: GIMP, krita : you can use them to creat picture for engrave.
    - 2D vector: inkscape: make vector files for cutting outline
    - 3D: sculptris, blender, sketchup free.
    All of them are free, so you can try them for your work.

You can see a work I do with 15mm wood
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,050
    Oh wow - that's so beautiful and intricate - 'right up my street' - (what I like). I'm hoping when I get the Force I will be able to turn my files into works of art like that if I can get to grips with operating it. It's so impressive. Thank you for the information, many on this forum will appreciate it.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,316
    @Thecuttingart when we write about the "zing", it is not a laser cutter, but a drag blade cutter.
  • yupyup Member Posts: 329
    Very nice. Thank you for sharing!
  • ThecuttingartThecuttingart Member Posts: 25
    Oh, I have some Zing lasers of Epilog, USA :D So I thought u have it,too.
  • pixelpusherpatpixelpusherpat Member Posts: 262
    Your creation is very stunning. So wonderfully intricate! I can hi-speed drill hand engrave like that, over a pattern stuck to my substrate, but have nothing to match cutting in 3D! Gorgeous! Pat in Kent (USA)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,343
    @Gabe - my experience is similar to yours. I have an Olfa artist blade I got a lot of years ago somewhere in the US when I used to travel for my job. I used that for exact cutting, along with a steel ruler with a cork backing. Tedious yes, and one reason why I never cut a lot of the same, mind boggling boring too. I walked into Michaels one day and they were featuring the Circut...walked out with one, after I saw the USB port, oh goody, I can connect it to my computer. Disappointing, computer could have cared less about it. Sat for awhile before I found the software that started the revolution.
  • NancNanc Member Posts: 632
    Love the layers!
This discussion has been closed.