We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Turn your KNK-MAXX into a CNC style Dremel power engraver.

DBODBO Member Posts: 12
Hi Folks

It has been some time since I've visited this forum but I thought I'd share some quick info on how you can turn your KNK-Maxx into a dremel powered engraving machine + use MTK course :)

I've been thinking about this little modification for a while now but finally got around to building it. Essentially all I've done is make a tool holder for a Dremel Flex-Shaft attachment. The tip is a 24mm round bar which I've bored out to 13mm so that the dremel pen can slide through the middle. In order to fit such a big pen holder into the MAXX you do have to shape the tip of the tool a bit but it's all fairly basic. You need an elastic band or spring to provide some extra tension to holding the tool in the up position due to the added weight. Simple but works a treat! .. who would've though that a vinyl cutter and MTK can be so versatile.
imageimage

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,098
    @DBO - very cool, can you take a video of it doing the engraving??? Pls, thx.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 2,898
    OK here's some questions, Is the dremel run on batteries or is it just a bit for using. Do you set MTC to cut more than once. Looks like fun and I can see a lot of people being interested in this idea. What metal are you using. Think it would work great on bracelets and tags for bags. I don't have a Zing but this info would be useful for when I get the Force sometime after Christmas I think.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,401
    It looks like your using the flexible extension on the dremel is the correct
    I think this has been suggest severals time in the past but your the first I seen produce a prototype on a KNK machine. Well done

I guess your controlling the depth of cut by clamping the tool a certain height ?
    Have you considered and chip extractor as I would think the Maxx wouldn't appreciate ingesting metal filings

I while back I can across a online community the where seriously modding cricut machines to become mini cnc machine.even delving into reverse engineering the controller
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • kb25t17kb25t17 Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2015
    Making a fitting for it would be a good 3D printer project. Especially as you can also create a dust collection fitting/holder as part of the design.

That narrow, straight, pencil like bodied flexible extension is no longer being made by Dremel but you can find them for sale on Ebay.

But I would suggest you only attempt this accessory scheme on a cutting machine that is no longer under warranty so you don't void yours :(
  • DBODBO Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2015
    Liz_A said:

@DBO - very cool, can you take a video of it doing the engraving??? Pls, thx.

Not the best since it was taken on a phone, but here you go.
    Di-lite said:

OK here's some questions, Is the dremel run on batteries or is it just a bit for using. Do you set MTC to cut more than once.

No, the Dremel is a normal full size unit (mains powered). Yes - I set MTC to cut several times, even right up to the max. count. I need to get some new engraving bits and it's obviously surface dependent as well. The KNK has some good downforce but it obviously still struggles for cutting deeper into metal. The demo above was on 3.5mm alloy plate.

It looks like your using the flexible extension on the dremel is the correct

Yes, it's an older style flex attachment. I think the newer version have a different handle now.
    I guess your controlling the depth of cut by clamping the tool a certain height ?
    Have you considered and chip extractor as I would think the Maxx wouldn't appreciate ingesting metal filings
    Yes it's all done through clamping at a certain height. There's not that many filings or metal chips that come off and you can just vacuum or shake out the cutting matt after the engraving.
    kb25t17 said:

Making a fitting for it would be a good 3D printer project. Especially as you can also create a dust collection fitting/holder as part of the design.(

Agreed - if I had a 3D printer, that would have been my 1st option :smile:

For the amount of times I'm likely to need it as an engraving tool - I think it'll do the job nicely.

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,401
    Yes Great Job and it does the job no point in spending $ for just a few projects
    I would be a great use for a cricut that's is sitting gathering dust

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • pixelpusherpatpixelpusherpat Member Posts: 262
    Very ingenious!!! How much fun for slightly thinner metals! Like tags.
    What about flat ornaments??? Hmmm! My mind is spinning about. Great Job. TFS
This discussion has been closed.