We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Silhouette won't cut large file

mblesmbles Member Posts: 3
I have a 6x6 design with a lot of words in it that I am trying to cut. When I hit start, MTC says "sending data to silhouette", but it is stuck there. It never sends. I tried a different smaller design and it sent and cut just fine. The software, my laptop, and silhouette are all working properly. Does it have something to do with the amount of cutting I am asking it to do within a small space?

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,039
    It shouldn't. If you can let us "see" the file - someone might be better able to help you trouble shoot. What Silhouette are you trying to cut to?
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • mblesmbles Member Posts: 3
  • CariadCariad Member Posts: 127
    edited November 2015
    I have this problem too if it was an intricate or a design that required a lot of cutting. Its not a problem with your silhouette cutting machine, it's MTC struggling to process the data and send it to the machine. I end up splitting the design and layered them. I cut each layer in separate batches. I would split yours above "everyone to share....." close one layer and cut the other then switch to cut the second half to complete the cut. I don't have this problem when I use the Silhouette Studio software.

imageWales in the UK
    Pazzle Inspiration, Vue and Cameo User
    Mac ( Yosemine with Windows 7 partition))
    MTC, Invue and Studio software.
    notimeforwashingup.blogspot.com
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,039
    Actually, I will disagree with Cariad and say its not MTC struggling to process the data, rather its the machine being able to process that amount of data that is being sent to it at one time by MTC. I can cut and send this and more to my bigger, better machines and MTC has no problems with the processing and sending it to those machines. It may be that MTC sends it all in one big "batch" to the cutter and the Silhouette program does not. I don't know - just guessing on that one but would explain why the difference between MTC and the Silhouette program with that cutter. (Perhaps someone in the "know" could verify that for us.) I would do as Carid suggested and use the "layers" feature to send smaller portions at a time and see if that works for you.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,563
    I would agree with @MeFlick...the problem is likely limitations of the Silhouette's on board processing abilities. And very possibly the Silhouette software streams the data in a manner different from MTC. The fact that smaller less complicated files can be cut is indication that things are working properly. @mbles - try selecting all and simplifying your file.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,203
    @mbles
    Guess what that happens to me - its a nodes issue - when there are too many in the first send to the Silhouette it just sits there and looks at you and nothing happens.
    Possible solution:
    Split the file and give each it's own (right click right-hand sector of control right lower control box and select.
    Now group small sectors of the page (join I think)
    Now switch off all sectors but one
    Send that one to the Silhouette and then without taking the mat out or moving it switch off the first part and turn on the second part and then send that to the Silhouette and so on.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • kb25t17kb25t17 Member Posts: 277
    edited November 2015
    second that statement of its a nodes issues. I had to go through that learning curve too of getting the nodes joined up just right in order to reduce the file size. Essentially if you have a bunch of individual lines and the line directions are going in opposing directions and won't join up into a continuous cut around a letter then you are going to have an overly large size of file. You have to get right into that node level of the file and take a very close look at what is happening. Its too hard to explain in a short reply so try and find some video tutorials on editing nodes to create cutting paths.
    @kb25t17 I find it's not only the size of file but the mass in the initial send - the Silhouette continue to receive information as it cuts and so it can cut large files but if the first part of the stream is large it refuses to co-operate - like in pnc it seems to be very fussy! Unfortunately for me it gets fussy on doilies so there is no turning or flipping that will give it an easier route to start! Such a pane.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,655
    @mbles If you get your file to cut, you may want to remove the apostrophe from the word "it's" in the first line.
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
    @Happy Crafter Why do you want to remove the apostrophe - I thought it was correct in the possessive form - Although it appears it could be either. My english grammar is limited to UK.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,398
    "It's" isn't possessive. It is a contraction. "It's" always means, "It is". "Its" is possessive. "Taking it is place" is incorrect, obviously. But that's what "Taking it's place" really means. Possessive would be "Taking its place."

Another "it" conundrum is "itself". Not a contraction, not two words. Refers to the identity of a single thing. Himself, Herself, Itself.

:) :) :) :) :)
    @Gabe - thanks for the explanation I think I must go through a dimensional shift every so often - originally potato and tomato had an "e" on the end of one of them but I could never remember which - now they don't!! I think the (it's / its) issue might be a similar thing! My world is definitely very weird.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,920
    edited November 2015
    Gabe said:

"It's" isn't possessive. It is a contraction. "It's" always means, "It is". "Its" is possessive.

Well I can honestly say I never knew that of course us aussies might do it different
    I've always use the apostrophe with It's.
    probably not surprising I hates skool
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
This discussion has been closed.