We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Applying Vinyl Designs Cut w/Silhouette Cameo

Shanna6675Shanna6675 Member Posts: 2
edited November 2015 in Tips and Tricks
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to apply adhesive-back vinyl designs onto my work surface/medium without messing it up! For example, I cut out a couple of swirly clothespins on my Silhouette Cameo to hang in my newly redecorated laundry room. The design was cut into the several separate pieces, so when I went to apply the design to my wood board plaques, I had to eyeball it and lay the pieces as closely together as they were when they were cut. I am getting so frustrated b/c I'm sure this isn't an advance skill! I have so many sign ideas but I'm hesitant to move forward out of fear of wasting good vinyl, and more importantly, my patience. I will be forever grateful to anyone who can explain how to do this!!!

Comments

• GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,330
    @Shanna6675, welcome to the MTC user support forum. A forum that focuses on the vector design software named Make-The-Cut! In answer to your question, let me say this - what you need is called transfer tape. You can learn how to use it simply by searching YouTube for "applying vinyl".
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,050
    @Shanna6675 - Welcome to the forum - I've not tried any vinyl work but Gabe gives good advice. Don't lose hope because there's lots of people who use vinyl and will help you on your journey. They're a friendly lot here with a wealth of knowledge that they are ready to share.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,591
    edited November 2015
    @Shanna6675 Yes Transfer Tape is what you need the place I buy from calls is application tape.
    For my first vinyl application I used the temporary hold painter masking tape it worked it was only a small project I laid the masking tape side by side
    Since then I got the real thing
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • NancNanc Member Posts: 632
    For small designs I've used clear tape and clear contact paper and it works pretty well. I know there is way to put registration marks on each layer of colors of vinyl so they line up well. Try looking on-line for how-to's for that
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,343
    @Shanna6675 - while there are many users on this forum that work in vinyl, it is not specific to vinyl techniques. That given, what you are looking for is how to create wall decoration in more than one colour of vinyl, and the proper application of same. Here is a youtube video showing 3 colours, note that on each of the colours they have shapes placed on the same place for lining up. Note how he uses the original backing the vinyl was on as he works the other layers:

And note the order the layers are added, bottom layer LAST.
  • Shanna6675Shanna6675 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2015
    WOW! Thanks for the quick & VERY helpful tips y'all!! I didn't expect to receive so many responses!!! I LOVE this forum!!

I have to admit though that right after I posted my question, I started really thinking about it & a big ol' light bulb went off! My Silhouette Vinyl Starter Kit came with transfer paper as well as a couple of rolls of different color vinyl. Well, until right after l posted my question the other night, it never really dawned on me what it was for. And then, it was like a little baby lightening bolt from the heavens (or maybe it was y'all!), the transfer paper is supposed to...are y'all ready for this???...make transferring the design to whatever surface you're applying it to a cinch! Apparently, you're supposed to cut the design, weed it (remove the excess vinyl), leaving only the design, then apply the transfer paper over the design, sandwiching the vinyl backing paper with the vinyl design between the transfer paper, & then apply it to the work surface. I don't know why I'm explaining this to y'all b/c it's obvious y'all already know what y'all are doing!!

In any case, I just wanted to tell everyone who responded to me how much I appreciate the suggestions, tips, & guidance! I'll post a pic of my next completed (& hopefully near-perfect project) for y'all to see! :smiley:
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,050
    @Shanna6675 Thanks for sharing your experience and new found knowledge - it will help me if I ever get round to opening the pack of vinyl that came with my Cameo, and the extra I bought in anticipation but never used.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
This discussion has been closed.