We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Score lines with Zing Air and red blade

SparklesSparkles Member Posts: 12
I'm a new Zing Air owner and, having used an Exacto knife for both cutting and scoring for many years, I was having a hard time believing that I couldn't make viable score lines with the same blade that cuts. I searched these and other forums and found that most people are perforating, and that wasn't going to work for me. (I had ordered an embossing tool, but, really, I wanted to do this with the blade already in the machine for cutting.) I finally came up with a solution which worked for me, and I thought I'd share it. No point in all of us wasting paper on tests, right? :)

I wanted to score on the first pass and cut on the second, and every test I ran cut the paper. On about my 8th attempt, it was clear that cutting was not going to be a problem in the least bit -- every blade height and every setting of force would cut this particular card stock, so if I could get a score to work, it wouldn't take much adjusting to do the cutting.

So I adjusted the blade inside of the blade holder so that the tip barely stuck out -- less even than the manual says for cutting. (Not that I am suggesting you do this, because these blades are SHARP, but I ran my finger across the point, and it barely scratched it, though I could feel it.) I marked the blade holder with tape, as in the attached photo, put it in the Zing at the prescribed cutting height, set the Force to 1, and sent my score-line layer to the Zing.

Then I turned the top of the blade holder one full time to the right, matching up the tape again after turning, to push the blade out a bit more, set my force to 65, and sent my cut-line layer to the Zing.

The scores were so perfect the envelope nearly folded itself. :)

I am doing a large quantity of envelopes, and the point to the tape marking is that I don't have to guess as to how far to turn the blade adjustment when I do the second, third, and so on, score lines.

Hope maybe this keeps someone else from ruining gobs of paper!

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,389
    Hi
    I never thought of scoring by adjusting the blade exposure
    I I tried with a embossing tool but I think I needed more force and never go back to trying it again

I have many blade holder set with different blade exposures for different materials so I would just need to swap blade holders
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • linsayscrapslinsayscraps Member Posts: 393
    Thanks for the tip. I must try this next time I need to score a project.
    Linsay from New Zealand - Just Loving my Zing
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,214
    edited October 2015
    @Sparkles when you went to cut did you change the height of the blade holder or just turned the set screw while still clamped down? In other words was the tip of the blade closer to the card stock because of the turn of the set screw or at the 25 postit distance? I am only asking cause I barely can cut anything with a force of 65 with my zing except vinyl. And I usually do fold lines at about a force of 14 - 18 - but this is card stock and not envelope paper.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,092
    @Sparkles Wind back about 4 years...people were using this same method and they even created a smart system...look in the MTC Gallery and use Zing as your search criteria. You will find 3 cut files for blade marking, the one you want is called Zing number system.
  • SparklesSparkles Member Posts: 12
    Ooooh! I will, @Liz_A! I am working on my procedures, notes, etc. now, and that may be helpful. (And that explains why I couldn't find anything in searches -- "Zing number system" was not something I searched! LOL!)
    I only changed the set screw (thank you for the terminology) while still clamped, @leslie6111. Admittedly, this was a thinner card stock because I am lining the envelope, as well. It's a box envelope, so it needs to be a thicker than envelope paper.

I tried so many blade heights that I got tired of counting Post Its (which are off brand, so may not be the same thickness). I just counted -- there are 33. And, seriously, every setting with the blade sticking out more cut the paper. Even with force set at 1.

So ... 33 Post its ... blade barely grazing my finger tip ... force 1, and that scored. Turn the set screw one full rotation until the tape matched up again, change force to 65, and that cut.

• GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,292
    @Sparkles, As Liz_A mentioned, back when the Zing was first introduced, several people lamented that there wasn't a "click blade holder" available. That inspired several people to create different styles of marking systems to make it easier to know how much blade exposure they had, without having to manually "touch and feel" the actual blade during the cutting processes.

I did a search so I could list some of those posts, but unfortunately it appears that all the pictures from posts made in 2011 and 2012 have been deleted. So, while there were pictures of homemade marking systems using bits of measuring tape, and various vinyl pointers, you can't see those pictures any longer. You can read the descriptions, but unless someone has saved the threads and pictures, you'll have to make do without the pictures, which is really what you need to see.
    My embossing tip arrived, literally, minutes after I figured out how to do this, so I haven't tried it yet, @CrazyZing! :)
    Of course, the difference is that you will need to emboss the lines, remove the embossing tool, then install the blade to cut the remaining portion of the image. There's a lot of "wiggle room" between taking out the embossing tool and installing the blade holder, so that there is room for error. The method you are using now seems like it would be more reliable for what you're wanting to do, since you don't actually remove the blade holder to perform both operations.
    Thanks, @Gabe. I admit that the one thing that has frustrated me is that "25 Post Its" is a thing. I can, however, appreciate all of the variables that every user meets along the way and why a finite system doesn't exist. As I'm sure everyone else has, I'm working on my own notes and system -- I will certainly look for those posts. :)
    Gabe said:

Of course, the difference is that you will need to emboss the lines, remove the embossing tool, then install the blade to cut the remaining portion of the image. There's a lot of "wiggle room" between taking out the embossing tool and installing the blade holder, so that there is room for error. The method you are using now seems like it would be more reliable for what you're wanting to do, since you don't actually remove the blade holder to perform both operations.

YES! That's exactly why I didn't want to have to depend on the embossing tool in the first place! I am very happy with what I've worked out. Except for the Post Its part. I am thinking that I could use the little black plastic pieces that we have to take out of the machine when we unpack it. That would be a more reliable benchmark. (I'm in Florida, so humidity is a factor with paper.)
  • byMariebyMarie Member Posts: 40
    I use my Zing engraving tool to make my score lines on my zing air - achieving crisp line with no fold "bulk." Based on he paper, I set my engraver's force between 8 and 20. I have the Zing embosser tool, but I didn't like the score line - when I was able to achieve one.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,815
    I use the small end of the Zing embosser and it's perfect. I do set the Force to 160 and use 4 passes. But the score is perfect for the popup cards and boxes I cut from cardstock.

Before the embosser, I also use the "short blade" method. I set the blade to vinyl exposure and that worked well. We have other KNK owners who use the lower pressure method. They use ~ 1/3 of the cutting force that would be required to cut the cardstock and they swear by that method, as well.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    @Sparkles, guess what? You are not confined to 25 post-it notes. I believe Sandy used that metric because it is pretty easy to find post-it notes at any office supply store in the country. However, if you are really wanting something different, there are many possiblities. You just need to be in the ball park. Try using a CD, or a couple of credit cards. Measure a stack of 25 post-its, then create a wooden gauge the same thickness. Maybe 2 popsicle sticks glued together? I'll bet you can come up with something you like better than post-its and you'll have a gauge that you'll feel you can rely on to give you consistent results. Lots of possibilities. :)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,092
    Someone else had a very interesting approach to make scorelines on stiff or thicker cardstock...i believe it was using both the embossing tool and a very slight cut, and I think it was shared in the KNK group, but my memory is a bit foggy right now, but maybe @SandyMcC remembers this??
    @Gabe, you're right! It just needs to be something that is ~1/8" thick.

@Liz-A, Michele Harvey discovered that some "bad cardstock brands" can yield better results if you score first with the embosser to compress the material and then cut it. Is that what you were remembering?
    Sandy McCauley
  • DarleneIDarleneI Member Posts: 2,734
    At one time I had a rubber washer on my Zing blade holder. I went to change the blade and my washer broke. I know someone had posted a picture of the washer package. I'll look to see if I kept the package. I now need to put another one on.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,389
    doesn't the manual lists a cutting file of some ring to use at spacers on top of the blade holder clamp as and alternative to the post-its
    I got some nylon washers (plumbing bits) as permanent spacer on the blade holder and wash using x number glued together for card stock and x number for vinyl etc

There might be and issue is blunting the blade using a hard material. I guess you maybe be able to adjust the measurement and rest the end of the holder rather than the blade tip

The non genuine blade holder I have a ridge the when that sit against the top of the clamp is right on the 25 post-it height for my vinyl cutting holder I use the nylon washers as permanent spacer on the blade holder
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    If you prefer to use O Ring spacers, there's a file here... last one in the list:

http://www.iloveknk.com/FreeFiles/MTC/
    Sandy McCauley
    byMarie said:

I use my Zing engraving tool to make my score lines on my zing air - achieving crisp line with no fold "bulk." Based on he paper, I set my engraver's force between 8 and 20. I have the Zing embosser tool, but I didn't like the score line - when I was able to achieve one.

I just got the embossing tool and engraving tool, @byMarie. Well ... I just got the machine, so it's all new to me. I was hoping to avoid changing tools from the score to the cut, because I'm doing many of these envelopes at once. I will keep that in mind for another project. Thanks! Great tip!
    SandyMcC said:

We have other KNK owners who use the lower pressure method. They use ~ 1/3 of the cutting force that would be required to cut the cardstock and they swear by that method, as well.

I like this idea, @SandyMcC. I would much prefer to modify the software settings versus the hardware. I'll give it a try!
    Gabe said:

@Sparkles, guess what? You are not confined to 25 post-it notes.

I get that, @Gabe. :) I just feel like some measuring tool included with the machine, supplied at time of purchase would make the "onboarding" experience a lot more enjoyable.

I am thinking of something that will not swell or shrink in this Florida weather, with a series of steps. And something to measure the blade. Anything I can do to reduce my margin of error. I'm on it! ;)

DarleneI said:

At one time I had a rubber washer on my Zing blade holder. I went to change the blade and my washer broke. I know someone had posted a picture of the washer package. I'll look to see if I kept the package. I now need to put another one on.

That sounds like an O-ring, and I have a few around here. That could be a winner! Thanks, @DarleneI!
This discussion has been closed.