We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Shapes & Punch Tool

stevejbailey7777stevejbailey7777 Member Posts: 8
Hi MTC Team,

We spent months researching die cutters and support software before deciding on my KNK. I had a few chats with Sandy McCauley (and others from different companies) and kept popping into the MTC forums to see how software issues and other problems were being dealt with. What impressed me the most, is the kind and friendly way you treat people, and that there is a lot of support for MTC out there.

I hate transposing from one piece of software to another, because it is time consuming and fraught with compatibility issues. To be honest I was looking for a gold nugget in a dung heap! Make the Cut kept cropping up on YouTube; Sandy McCauley, ScrappyDew, Julie Flanagan, UnderACherryTree, Cre8ive Cutz, Rhinestonemonkey, photofrost01, PurplePaperParadise, stackyscraps, Dee Signs and many more.

Never have I known so many people speak so well of a software package, and be prepared to demonstrate it publicly. One thing for certain is, that MTC has grown into a splendid stand-alone design program for die cutters, something to be proud of. As for my search, well I finally found that nugget of gold - thank you.

I realize that there are over 600 requests on this wishlist, and to be honest I fail to see how you can accommodate them. None-the-less might I respectfully request the following additions to MTC.

1. Shapes.
Could you please add a facility for pulling shapes (when creating) from their center point. For example a circle would be pulled from its radius instead of diameter. Perhaps holding down the Ctrl key whilst dragging the shape would be the easiest command.

This would be very useful for creating line and compass features such as grid constructions, Gothic arches, rose windows and other designs.

2.Punch Tool
I have noticed that die cutters have one thing in common, they have to raise and lower the blade. Sewing machines do the same. It occurred to me that if a new tool was added along the same principal as the rhinestone tool, but using dots instead of circles, then program the cutters to lower and raise the Punch Tool at each of these dots (like a sewing machine).

People who suffer from arthritis, adhesive capsulitis, etc., cannot use the hand perforating tools used for parchment craft. A feature added to MTC would make our lives a lot easier.

May I wish you all, health and continued success for the future.

Kindest regards

Steve

Comments

• Mary212Mary212 Member Posts: 1,529
    edited May 2015
    Hi @stevejbailey7777. Sending you a great big ole Texas welcome to the wonderful world of MTC. There are so very many experts on MTC Forum that I am sure that you will soon find loads of friendly MTC'ers that will be able to get you going. Juliefes (I think that is how she signs it, Sandy McCaulay, Gabe SusanBlueRobot and many others as you have mentioned are fantastic resources. There are also literally thousands of cut files in the MTC Gallery that you can use for free, that is, if you aren't into designing your own.

Welcome once again, and will look forward to seeing some of your MTC creativity here.

Mary
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,366
    edited May 2015
    @stevejbailey7777 Sometimes there is a work around -if you use the node tools, you can grab a node on a circle and pull it up and get a resulting egg shape. There is a punch tool available for the some of the cutters - such as the zing and the pazzles and if you make your circle small enough it can be use to do peragamo.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,021
    @stevejbailey7777 - for your #2...if you understand how cutter software sends information to the cutter for cutting, especially MTC, you will know why cutters cannot effectively, at this time, replace punch tools. Yes you can purchase a punch tool for the KNK and other assorted embossing tips and tools, but what is not clear is how you get a "dot" on the mat in MTC to effectively imitate a punching action - tip comes down with force, and tip goes up.

If you place a period on the virtual mat in MTC, which looks like a dot, but then View Path Detail, no matter how small that dot is, it's still a closed path shape with more than one node in it. Usually 4. So the blade behaves in a downward motion for the first node, then glides to the next node, then the next node, then to the last node, would lift up and go to the next closed shape (or a single line, whatever is next in the cutting order) and then down on the first node, etc. The blade rotates as it is cutting based on the curves, for example of a bezier curve. A sewing machine needle only goes up and down in the same stationary position in regular mode, or in some zigzag motion, it never stays in the down mode like a cutter. (so maybe the answer is a punch tool for the sewing machine, and you take out the bobbin and thread - oh wait, people already do that!!)

So for the KNK punch tool, which is for the KNK Maxx and Groove, maybe the original KNK software allows for a single node placement. As I understand MTC and how it works, you cannot just add random nodes to the empty mat, you have to add them to an existing line or shape. I do not see how MTC could, at this stage in its development, do what you are describing.

When I envision a tool that does what you are describing, its not a cutter, it would a programmable engraver/embosser/punch tool, with a tractor feed similar to the sewing machine, but able to take large sized media, eg 12 x 12 paper. I am going to hazard that such already machine exists, just not yet for a hobby or home audience??
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,415
    Interesting coincidence... have a look at Michele's post on Team KNK from yesterday: http://teamknk.com/memorial-day-wishes/
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,415
    Also, there's info on using the Punch Tool in Section 10.10 of the online user manual. My method is similar to Michele's, although I wanted the punches to be even smaller, so I first made my design twice as large as I wanted. Then I applied the minimum rhinestone size with double the spacing I wanted. Then, I rescaled everything to 50%. : )
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • stevejbailey7777stevejbailey7777 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you all for the input. I confess to being worried about breaking the point of the punch tool as I have read in various forums that the cutter does a "little wiggle" if using the rhinestone method. I can't afford to keep replacing tools so guess it makes me a little cautious.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,510
    @stevejbailey7777, did people report that they broke the point of the punch tool?

I would imagine that if you are using the Zing punch tool, and using it with the rhinestone feature of MTC, it would likely be covered re: breaking the point. @ChadatKNK would discuss it with you and he is honest and fair.

But I think if you were following SandyMcC's method of making the circles extremely tiny, there would be very little "wiggle" during punching operations to worry about.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!