We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Silhouette studio files import

dedethomdedethom Member Posts: 33
Would be GREAT since I have so many files in that format.

Comments

• dedethomdedethom Member Posts: 33
    Silhouette studio files import
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,024
    @dedethom - not gonna happen. The .studio file is proprietary, and copyright, and the developer of MTC has been sued twice (or three) times already for copyright infringements. Search this forum on methods of getting those files into MTC, there is a lot of postings about this, its asked at least once a week :D
  • klkitchensklkitchens Member Posts: 30
    But it wouldn't truly be a copyright violation. But lawyers don't always care about that and silhouette might sue knowing it would cost money to defend. Sad.
    @klkitchens - Cricut had not qualms at all about suing. Hard for the small guy to afford a defence against the big bucks.
  • klkitchensklkitchens Member Posts: 30
    @Liz_A A little different situation to be writing to their machine vs. reading a data file.

People write file conversion tools all the time in the software world. Silhouette's parent would have no leg to stand on, but like (and you) said, they got the deeper pockets.

• bossie1bossie1 Member Posts: 678
    This is why I will not by shilouette files... Can't just be me.. Their loss of dollars!
  • dedethomdedethom Member Posts: 33
    I had a lot of ''issues'' with silhouette and their store. First: don't ever loose your hard drive and try to ''recover'' your downloads. You'll have to beg to have it back like if you didn't paid for them. Same with your license for Designer Edition or Connect. Also, when you open the file notes, if you click on the link to have more explanations from the creator's website, hope that there's no ''-'' in the link or you just won't get there ! Also, don't try to copy and paste that link, you just can't. I have to admit that I did somewhat loved my silhouette that is presently in the closet. Lot of problems with it : blades don't stay sharp after a little bit of use, Print & cut don't always find the registration marks on the paper and when it find it don't always cut properly. You can try the same files printed 3 times and you'll get different results every time. I now have the KNK Zing. I love the speed, the force, but now I have to learn how to do the same thing I used to make with Silhouette Studio Designer Edition. I find that MTC has a lot of missing features : Bring to back/front, marquee zoom around an object, group/ungroup, some features that you'll take for granted until you try it. I also dislike the Zing Driver with its unreal interface. Should be less futuristic for my taste. Anyway. I have to cope now.
    @dedethom - hopefully you will come to love MTC the same as you do SS. I will say that I have been using software and computers since 1988. Over that time there are two pieces of software that I genuinely believe are in a class of their own (my reasons would be another book). Paint Shop Pro and Make The Cut! I have 7 cutters, including a Silhouette, have purchased a variety of software for those cutters or acquired through purchase of a cutter, and none of them pleased me as much as Make The Cut!. It has come a long way since its humble beginnings over 5 years ago, a little piece of software to give the programmer's wife the ability to use fonts on her computer with her cutter. Are there things missing, yes, I will agree there are, but they are not limiting features in any way at all, there is always a work around. There are years worth of recorded weekly webinars where our hard working and dedicated volunteers Bryan, Susan and Julie, have demoed some amazing techniques for using Make The Cut!, and I will note that not always is the end result to be a cut file, sometimes it is to take the work out of Make The Cut! into some other software for some other purpose (embroidery, etc.). If Bryan has not found a way to do something with Make The Cut!, then pretty much it does not exist - being truthful there are a couple of things, but trust me, the program is extremely versatile.

The Zing driver...yah, that doesn't always strike a cord with a everyone, but really once you are comfortable with it, its not all that bad. I remember when it was introduced, one user's comment was something along the lines of: really, what is with guys and knobs!!! So there you go! It will grow on you. If I have a choice of Andy the programmer changing that or adding some other cool feature, or fixing some annoying bugs (that affect the Zing), I would definitely not choose changing the plugin.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!