We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Guides

dedethomdedethom Member Posts: 32
We should have a ruler guide feature to help align, etc. Also, a magnifier glass zoom so we can marquee the portion we want to zoom to. I'm still learning the software but I think that would make it even more awesome.

Comments

• Calgalcre8sCalgalcre8s Member Posts: 2,893
    edited May 2015
    For ruler..Go to View, check on Rulers
    For Zoom.. Go to View and check Main Bar. See Zoom feature in that side bar.

MTC user manual: Go to Help>Instruction and Tutorials http://www.make-the-cut.com/Instruction.aspx
    The first few chapters are for the Zing cutter, followed by information for Make The Cut!.

Have fun learning.
    Post edited by Calgalcre8s on
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,412
    @dedethom, both good suggestions. Movable rulers would be very helpful. And of course, having the ability to switch between metric and Imperial measurements would also be most welcome.

Marquee zoom is something people have asked for quite a bit. Presently we are able to zoom in up to 1000 percent, but it doesn't seem to lock onto a specific area as it would with a marquee selection.

MTC is really awesome, but there are a few things that could make it even awesomer!
  • dedethomdedethom Member Posts: 32
    The more I use it the more I see things that are missing... Wow do I miss silhouette studio designer edition ! If only the zing could be used on other cutting software. Where is bring to front, send to back.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,632
    @dedethom - you can cut from Inkscape to your Zing. And being that Inkscape is open source, you provide feedback to that community, which is probably much larger than the single programmer MTC has/had.
  • AnointedHandsAnointedHands Member Posts: 796
    @dedethom I use the layer bar to move objects up and down. I have also cut and then pasted an object and that will put if on top of the object already on that layer. However, selecting objects using the cut/paste might make selecting under objects difficult.

My personal opinion is putting objects on their own layer and using the arrow on the layer bar is the most efficient.

Althea
  • klkitchensklkitchens Member Posts: 28
    RE: Zoom, the option in PS to hold CTRL and mousewheel to be able to zoom in 1/2 steps is great. 100 -> 50 -> 25 -> 12.5
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,063
    dedethom said:

The more I use it the more I see things that are missing... Wow do I miss silhouette studio designer edition ! If only the zing could be used on other cutting software. Where is bring to front, send to back.

Having used both (as well as other programs), I much prefer using MTC and find, on the whole, it offers much better tools and functionality then the Silhouette program.

We all tend to like what we learned "first" because we "know" how that works. Most of what you can do with the Silhouette program (and others you can't) may just be called something different, or have a slightly different way of doing them. You just need to take time to learn how it works in MTC. The best way to do that is to completely review and use the MTC/Zing manual that was developed, go through written tutorials available, watch recorded videos and webinars, and "play" with the program as much as you can.

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • dedethomdedethom Member Posts: 32
    I do understand that there's a learning curve. I just tried to copy and paste an object and discovered that the pasted object is much bigger than the copy. Is there a way to paste the exact same size ?
    Yes, you use duplicate or paste in front.

Haven't checked yet, but hope there is an option to disable the caret. I'm sure it's a useful feature for some, but it's a PITA for people used to normal copy and paste. Yes, I know I can change the caret size, but that is an extra step.
  • AnointedHandsAnointedHands Member Posts: 796
    @dedethom When you paste an object and don't use Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste in Place), the object will be the size of the caret (the red placement arrow). So if you have the caret set at 6", the object you place using ctrl+v will paste in at 6".

And if you don't put it on a separate layer when using Paste in Place, it will be right on top of the original. On a separate layer, it looks like nothing changed because the pasted object is in the original place on the new layer but if you close the layer that has the original, you will see the pasted version.

Making a long story short, use ctrl+shift+v to paste an object the same size as the original...it works every time.

HTH
    Althea
    Yes, but would be a great help to make that a preference. Normal paste (CTRL-V) is a duplicate in nearly ever other application. MTC is the odd-bird here making a specially sized pasted object. I'm sure, like I said, some find this useful. But a simple preference setting to allow CTRL-V to behave normally would be very nice to have (and then CTRL-SHIFT-V could be the alternate, caret sized paste).
This discussion has been closed.