We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC and other PC software on a MAC... Questions

hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,806
I was just gifted a Macbook Pro. :) I have an IPad, an Android Phone and a Windows PC. I've only used a MAC a handful of times. I'm really a complete MAC newbie. My PC has Windows 8.1, I've heard about "WINE" here.

I have two pieces of creative software I want to run on this MAC. MTC, of course. The other, (Design-A-Knit or DAK), discussed in an article below. Ignore the fact that it's knitting software, does what this knitter is talking about make sense on a hardware/software level to those of you who use PC programs on your MAC>? Anyone know if it will work?

My son is conversant in Linux. I've read this, but the OS and DAK versions are all older. Any advice from someone who has been there, done that would be very welcome: http://knittsings.com/designaknit-on-an-apple-mac-computer/

Any advice from those who do this is very welcome!
Lynne
Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!

Comments

• deNNisdeNNis Member Posts: 41
    I believe the lady is using Apple's Boot Camp to create a separate bootable drive on the Mac. You can either use it as a Windows machine or as an Apple machine. Instead you should consider installing a virtual machine. A virtual machine will allow you to run both Windows and OS X at the same time. At this time there are two commercial versions - VMware's Fusion and Parallels. I believe that both offer trial versions for you to try before you buy. There is also a free virtual machine called Virtualbox. We use Parallels and have been satisfied. We run Make The Cut, Designer+ and Generations (last two are embroidery programs) and have experienced few problems. I have XP, Win 7, Win 8.1, and a beta copy of Win 10 virtual machines. I prefer Win 7. If you do some research you'll find that virtual machine is the way to go if you can handle the additional expense of the program. Also check the specs of your machine to see if it meets the requirements especially the amount of ram. More is always better. My Macbook Pro has 16GB and my iMac has 32GB. This is getting long so lastly you can migrate your Windows machine to the Mac using Parallels migration tool (I have not used this myself). There are videos on Parallels website.

Dennis
     When you buy quality, you only cry once!! 
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,806
    Thank you, Dennis! That's a lot of info. I'll scope it all out and be back with questions, undoubtedly! @deNNis
    Lynne
    Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
    In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!