We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Missing custom shapes tab and missing gear [Resolved]

Nayzam6Nayzam6 Member Posts: 5
edited February 2015 in Resolved Issues
I am new to MTC but with research from these AMAZING forums I have become pretty comfortable with the software until...I attempted to upload a jpeg clip art and after researching how to do this I realized that not only do I not have the "custom shapes" tab I do not have the gear icon that some forums are suggesting to use....I continued my research to see that I have to click on the Triangle/Circle Square Icon and under basic shape I could import my image but still do not see where to do that...Please can someone help!!! Been at this for hours and very frustrated!!!!

Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,658
    First go to View and make sure there are check marks for the toolbars that you want to show on your screen.

Attaching pic of button to click when importing .jpgs and .pngs
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
  • Nayzam6Nayzam6 Member Posts: 5
    Probably should have been more specific as to what I am looking to do...I am looking to download a clip art pic that I downloaded that was sent as a jpeg. After initially doing the research it said to find the image under the custom shapes tab so I continued to look on other forums and that is what lead me to the initial question I posted. So if anyone can tell me how to download a jpeg clip art image I would greatly appreciate it.
  • anewanew Member Posts: 65
    edited February 2015
    The custom shapes tab and gear are in an earlier version of MTC. The custom shapes can be found under basic shapes, which is the triangle, circle, square icon on the toolbar. I did not have MTC when it had the gear, but I would asume its function has been replaced with an icon or two. To bring in a jpeg you need to pixel trace, which is the icon that HappyCrafter highlighted in yellow.
    Annette in Utah, KNK Force and Silhouette Cameo
    Thank you both so much for your responses...I did figure out what happy crafter showed but I guess what I am trying to do may not be an option. I am trying to just import the image to print not to cut. I have a silhouette and was under the impression that I can print with it as well as cut. I am attempting to create invitations so I was hoping to print the picture that I want displayed within the shape I am looking to have my machine cut. Maybe I am way off base as to exactly what it's capabilities are. Not sure if I need to print on the card stock first then insert it into the silhouette to have my desired shape cut. Sorry...as I said I am new so forgive my ignorance on this craft please.
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,658
    When you import your .jpg file and want to print it check "Texturize Path" and put your your threshold up to around 255 to start and play around with the threshold until you get want you want.

I don't have a Silhouette, but I believe the Silhouette only cuts it does not print.
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
  • anewanew Member Posts: 65
    edited February 2015
    The following discussion describes one method.
    http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/38820/cut-photo-out-in-shaped-border-resolved
    You may also want to look at section 9.06 of the manual which describes a number of print and cut scenarios. A link to the manual can be found under the help menu. It is list as a Zing manual, but a lot of it applies to the MTC software.
    Annette in Utah, KNK Force and Silhouette Cameo
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,126
    Nayzam6 said:

. . . I am trying to just import the image to print not to cut. I have a silhouette and was under the impression that I can print with it as well as cut. I am attempting to create invitations so I was hoping to print the picture that I want displayed within the shape I am looking to have my machine cut. Maybe I am way off base as to exactly what it's capabilities are. Not sure if I need to print on the card stock first then insert it into the silhouette to have my desired shape cut. Sorry...as I said I am new so forgive my ignorance on this craft please.

The Silhouette machines are NOT Printers. You cannot do an actual PRINT with a Silhouette machine (or with most any of the electronic die cutters that are discussed on these forums). You have to PRINT with your normal household printer and have it print "registration marks" on your printed paper for use with your cutter to align to for cutting. The Silhouette machines have specific registration marks that must be used as they have an "optical eye" that scans and reads those registration marks. If you are not familiar with how that works, I would suggest that you first need to get it working with its native software program to ensure that your optical eye is working correctly before attempting in MTC as it may need some calibration done to work correctly.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    Thank you!Thank you! Thank you! Just made my project. Feel silly for thinking it printed! And found the online manual that has now become my new night time reading material! Really appreciate everyone's help. I think my best bet is to read through the manual and just make simple projects to get to know the machine and this software. Thanks to all!
  • Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,760
    edited February 2015
    Also View Scrappydew's How To Videos. SandyMcC Has Some Great Videos
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,126
    Nayzam6 said:

. . . I think my best bet is to read through the manual and just make simple projects to get to know the machine and this software. Thanks to all!

Glad you were able to complete your first project. No need to feel silly, I know you aren't the first nor will you be the last who thought these cutters could print and cut - after all - that is what it is often referred to as a "print and cut" - but the printing i,s as you have learned, done with your own printer and then put into the cutter to cut. (There are some machines out there that do actually print and then cut, but they are significantly higher priced machines and will not be found in the $200 - $1500 price range where most of these "hobby" type of machines are.)

You are correct, the best way to learn is to go through the manual and start out with simple projects to get to know the machine and the software. Good luck and feel free to ask questions here on the forum should you need help with anything.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
This discussion has been closed.