We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

how do I cut selected only

Hi,

Is there a way in MTC to cut selected geometry only?

Thanks!

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,150
    First, welcome to MTC's user forum.

If you want to have multiple objects on your mat, but only choose to cut some of them rather than all of them - you would use the "layers" feature in MTC. Put the objects on different "layers" and then open and close the layers that you wish to cut. I would recommend that you review the manual you can access through help menu to see how the layers work.

You do not move items off the mat or have to change to and from "cut" lines like the Silhouette programs or others.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • zosterzoster Member Posts: 4
    Thank You for your support and welcoming!

I was hoping there is a more direct way than using layers but that will have to do i guess.

What I couldn't find (searching the manual as well) is how to move a shape from one layer to another. I know you can select some and make a new layer containing them, but what if i want to move a shape to an already existing layer?*

Also: is there a way to import any file format retaining it's layers?

Thanks again for Your feedback!

* unfortunately i'm expecting a workaround as the only possible method, something like using 'selection to new layer' for the shape that needs to be moved, then selecting the thumbnails of the newly created layer and the destination layer, hitting 'selection to new layer' again and than deleting empty layers
  • anewanew Member Posts: 65
    To move a shape to a different layer: First select the shape, then cut(ctrl X). Select the layer you want to copy it to, then paste in place(ctrl+shift+V).
    Annette in Utah, KNK Force and Silhouette Cameo
    Thanks, anew!

Actually tried this before but i forgot about it. I did use Paste instead of Paste In Place though, which resulted in a rescaled instance of the shape, but with Paste In Place it works as expected, so thanks again!
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,150
    Yes, to retain the size of an object you need to use "paste in place"

In my opinion, using the layers to open and close to cut or not is the most "direct" and easiest way. No need to remember to move them off of a mat or to turn on or off the cut lines, etc. Simply click the eye to open the layer, and click it to close.

What other file format are you referring to when you ask about importing a file and retaining its layers? I don't know of too many that let you have "layers" like MTC does.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    Thanks again! Any idea about the "bonus question"?

"is there a way to import any file format retaining it's layers?"

I read something about using to each his own but that is useful only if MTC can retain shape groups. Say You import a file containing 2 groups, each containing 3 shapes. Than you would use 'to each his own' and have 2 layers containing 3 shapes each, but what happens is that the file is imported as one group which if i use 'split', it just brakes everything apart, each shape it's own entity, no grouping.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the quick support!

PS: i tried this importing ai, pdf and eps files and it acted the same
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,025
    edited February 2015
    @zoster - as you have discovered, I do not believe that MTC reads layer information in pdf files or ai or eps files at all. MTC will let you bring in vector shapes in a pdf file, and if they were separated on to different pages, each page is brought in separately, and could therefore go on a different layer. A lot of the cut file designers manage this by making an svg file for each of the components...if there is more than one shape in the svg, its still all going to go on one layer. It seems that if the graphics program can work with the file type natively, ie just like Adobe products for ai, eg, then you retain layer information, otherwise most other programs that support opening an ai file, just see a flattened image.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!