We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Zing Air not Cutting with Make The Cut

I recently purchased a used Zing Air and am Using Make The Cut 4,6,1 (build time stamp, Sun Mar 24 16:55:50 2013).
It will not cut. Please Help!
Here are the steps I have taken to get it working:
*I am try to cut Oracle 631 vinyl. I have not tried cutting anything else.
*I set the blade, in the blade holder outside the machine, by running it across a spare piece of vinyl. I got it to where it just cuts through the top layer and not through the paper backing. You can barely see the blade sticking out.
*With the machine off and the blade holder out of the machine, I move the carriage manually to the middle of the machine.
*I put down the taped 13 sticky notes and then drop the blade holder in the carriage slop for the holder.
*I make sure the blade holder is in straight.
*I tighten the screw to hold in the blade holder.
* I select Cut Project With - Klic-n-Kut Zing
*I set my blade orgin, using knife point, to the lower right corner of my vinyl.
*My Force is set at 10
*My speed is set at 12
*Multi Cuts is set at 1
*Blade offset is set at .25.
*My mat is 24x12 Landscape
*My design is 2.25 inches from the edge and the center of the design is down 6 inches going the other direction. According to what I know that should not matter if I am using set orgin to knife point.
*I am connected using USB
*It is connected to COM15
*When I click Cut Project, it goes to where I set the orgin and starts acting like it is currint
*What I noticed, is that the blade carriage does not move up or down, it stays in the same position. I am almost certain that where it cuts that the blade should go down and only riase to move to the next cut area.
*Nothing cuts.
*I tried increasing force, no change.
*I went to help, advanced, and installed the FTDI D2xx and CUTOK drivers. I unplugged the machine from the computer each time I did the drive installs.
*I rebooted my computer and attempted the entire process again
*I have checked all the wheels to make sure they are in place.
*It still does not cut. It surely acts like it is cutting and again the blade carriage does not lower the blade in any fashion.

Please let me know what I should do next; howcan I fix this problem. I pray that it is some simple fix and I will be up and running, I sure hope the blade controller is not broken and hence the reason it is not moving up and down.

I never could get the dongo to work. I computer recognizes the dongo but that is all.

Comments

• GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,510
    edited February 2015
    @lmanda2015, what you should do next is call KNK USA to let them know of your problem. They are located in Florida, so take Eastern Time into consideration. Their number is 800-268-3672. Ask for Ron.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,366
    @lmanda2015 does the pen work with your zing or did you go right to using the blade? If the pen works then it has nothing to do with the drivers - they would be fine. Your speed is too slow I think - try 15. I have a zing so a speed of 12 would be sufficient but the zing air has more speeds and needs to be set higher and that might be why you are not seeing the carriage move. You also might want to increase your pressure even to 25 until the vinyl is cutting and then ease up. I just cut some htv and had to increase my pressure to 25 - although I had used 25 postits instead of 13. I generally use wiziwig but using knife point is no difference in how the zing cuts just how you set the origin. If this doesn't help - call knk and as Gabe suggests and they will help get you up and running.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,415
    Set an origin... even if you only move the head a little bit. There's a bug in the software whereby if you fail to set an origin in Knife Point (and maybe WSYISWG modes), nothing happens when you launch the cut.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    @SandyMcC I wasn't aware of the bug. But I just tried it with my zing - not setting the blade origin (I did not put in the blade holder though) in both wiziwig and knife point and in both cases my zing acted like it would cut the shape - the carriage moved - had there been a blade holder - is it just a zing air thing?
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,510
    @leslie6111, read Sandy's comment again. :)
    @Gabe, I just wanted to see if I could reproduce the bug, but I couldn't. Even if I do not set the blade origin, my cutter moves as it it should. It actually would be nice if I spazzed out in a senior moment and forgot to set the blade origin that the zing would not cut and wreck the cardstock, but mine does in both knifepoint and wiziwig.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,415
    Do you have Blade Offset turned on? I believe if it's set to 0, then it works. But if you set it to like 0.30, then it doesn't. Also, we don't know that it happens on all computers... so it could be it works fine for you. It definitely will not start cutting to my Zing Air from my computer.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    edited February 2015
    @SandyMcC just tried it with zero offset since I had mine set to .25 yesterday. in either case (win 7) and not touching the blade origin button. I couldn't reproduce the bug. It would have been nice. It must be a zing air thing and not a zing thing. @lmanda2015 says she has a .25 blade offset and that she is setting a blade origin but not if she is clicking blade origin and actually saying final in the popup window.
  • lmanda2015lmanda2015 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for all the responses, I did set the origin and in doing so, I moved the carriage down about 9 inches and over towards the center of the mat about 5 inches. I also used my old mats from my crap machine and my new mats from the Zing. No difference. By setting blade origin the way I did, more than 6 times, that should have been sufficient. I finally gave up and brought out the crap machine to get the job done.

I went directly to cutting with the blade, because I have been cutting on my crap machine, with MTC, for years. I was so excited to get the Zing Air. I just wish it was working, so that I could do stuff much faster and more precise.

Technically, I do not see the blade move done even the slightest. I have pretty good up close vision, so I would see it move. When you goes through the motions of cutting, the blade does not drop. It is up the same 13 sticky notes high. The only way I think I could get it to cut is to drop the blade way out of the holder. I don't think that would be a good thing to try.

Is there a way to test if the blade movement is working?

I will call KNK tomorrow unless there is someone out there that has had the same experience and has a solution.

Thanks Again!
  • lmanda2015lmanda2015 Member Posts: 9
    Just got off the phone with Ron from KNK. He said there appears to be a fault in the carriage cable. It can be repaired for $50, but I have to send it in to him. Thanks for everyone's help and for Gabe for sending me to Ron. Hopefully I will be up and running soon.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,021
    @lmanda2015 - thanks for letting us know!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!