We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Where are the MTC cut settings for the Silhouette Cameo

MTC is really confusing me.

My design cuts perfectly in Silhouette Studio. However, in MTC it does not cut through - the cut is too shallow - even though I am using the same cardstock. I cannot find any settings in MTC to solve this.

I also have problems with the orientation shown in MTC. I have a Silhouette Cameo but I always use A4 cardstock, usually in wysiwyg (to me) portrait mode. What are the settings for the mat? This is really confusing because when I select Portrait in MTC The mat changes to Landscape wysiwig. And why does my design appear back to front (mirrored I supposed) in MTC? Are the settings in MTC not really wysiwig?

I would be very grateful for some answers.

Comments

• GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,489
    Please download the MTC user manual. That will help you get comfy with knowing where to put your paper on the mat. Someone who uses a Cameo will be able to help you with the blade depth.
  • LaurieBLaurieB Member Posts: 185
    To change the cut settings (force and speed), click on the wrench in the window that comes up. Then choose the paper type you are using and click on "use selected" button. Unfortunately the default is light printer paper, I wish I could change the default to heavy cardstock - that is what I cut most often.
    cutting with Cameo
  • pannypanny Member Posts: 3
    I cannot find a user manual. The only manuals I can find refer to zing or cougar!

Thank you lauriB..... I did actually manage to suss this out myself eventually.

Please would someone provide a link to a real manual for MTC with a silhouette cameo.
    I am not usually this stupid!
  • brianna_c1brianna_c1 Member Posts: 3,670
    penny i would watch these webinars...

http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/17938/webinar-recordings-on-vimeo-updated-02-05-2015#latest

when designing in mtc it is the same which ever machine you cut to...the only difference is that when you cut you select the silhouette cameo to cut and change the settings in the drop down box as @LaurieB suggested
    Stampin Up Demonstrator
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,135
    edited February 2015
    panny said:

I cannot find a user manual. The only manuals I can find refer to zing or cougar!

Thank you lauriB..... I did actually manage to suss this out myself eventually.

Please would someone provide a link to a real manual for MTC with a silhouette cameo.
    I am not usually this stupid!

There is no only "MTC Manual" nor one that deals with MTC and a Cougar. There are "User Manuals" that were paid for and developed by KNK personnel for use with KNK cutters and MTC. HOWEVER, the first couple of chapters in any of those deal with learning that cutter - then starting with Chapter 3 I think - it is all about MTC and only MTC in general. As Brianna pointed out - using MTC to create and work with files is the same no matter the cutter being used. No one has developed a Silhouette specific MTC manual as there really isn't any need to. In general - whatever settings, etc. that work with the Silhouette and their program would be the same with MTC. HOWEVER, all cutters are a little different so any cut settings are only suggested beginning points to try. Variables in the machines, the blade being used, how new or used it is, etc. all impact settings. What worked for me last month - may be off some depending upon various factors like how much I have used the blade I have in the machine and what I was cutting with it for example.
    You can set these settings through the program as Laurie showed above, or you can leave it unchecked and set the settings on your machine its self. I prefer to set them with my machine.

If you will note on the "virtual mat" on the MTC screen - there is an arrow on the mat which shows which way it is to be fed into the machine. When you switch between portrait and landscape in the program, the arrow will switch from the left side to the top of your virtual mat. Landscape would show on the left, portrait would show on the top. The settings in MTC really are WYSIWYG. I have used MTC with a variety of different cutters and with Silhouette machines, including a Cameo, since the plugin for those machines were first introduced so I know it works as it is suppose to. I am not clear on what you mean when you say your design appears "back to front (mirrored I suppose in MTC)". If you can give some "visuals" of what you are seeing someone may be better able to help you figure out your issue.
    Post edited by MeFlick on
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,956
    @panny - the first 2 chapters deal with getting the KNK cutters setup. The rest of the manual, starting on page 49 Chapter 3 MTC Basics, is specifically related to the Make The Cut! software used with any of the supported cutters. The manual has been a valued resource for hundreds if not thousands of happy Make The Cut! users, no matter what cutter they are using. Check it out!
  • pannypanny Member Posts: 3
    Thank you everyone for your very helpful advice. I have now started to dip into the Zing Manual from section 3. The title of the manual confused me so I thought it did not apply to a Silhouette machine. I was very pleased to see some information about Inkscape because I like to use this and also Corel Draw. I find MTC is much easier than SSDE when working with nodes but it's easier still in Inkscape. This is my main area of interest. I am not much of a designer but I like to take designs and alter them to suit my requirements.
    Thank you all.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!