We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Help Please! New silhouette cameo user!

khandford91khandford91 Member Posts: 2
Hey everyone,

I am a complete newbie to this site and also to the Cameo.

I got the cameo as a birthday present yesterday and since been playing around with it. I have come across a problem which is making me wonder is the cameo what everyone makes it out to be? Basically, I am trying to cut some vinyl stickers for my partners business, I have followed the recommended settings and also changed settings by 1 each time on the blade, thickness and speed but I seem to get the vinyl snagging where its taking out letters that need to be there, or if I alter it by one it doesn't cut enough to the point where I can't weed the vinyl as its only lightly scored it.

I am using Ritrama vinyl which came with the cameo, does anybody have any experience with this vinyl? Is it a cheap vinyl, could this be the issue? I have checked the blade and all seems to be okay, there isn't any vinyl or excess material anywhere in the cameo.

Can anyone shed a light on whats going on? I want to be able to enjoy using the cameo and right now I really don't, its just become frustrating :(

Thank you in advance :)

Kelly x

Comments

• CapturingTheHeartCapturingTheHeart Member Posts: 85
    This could be one of a number of issues. For vinyl I normally have the blade set to one, do test cuts with the pressure until it cuts through the vinyl, but not the backing, and then adjust the speed down for intricate designs, probably a 5 or so.

It also helps to run your squeegee over the vinyl to make sure it's stuck to the backing well.
    capturing-the-heart.com (still building our catalog) www.etsy.com/shop/CapturingTheHeart (where it all started)
  • khandford91khandford91 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply.

I had the blade set at 1 yesterday, and did basically what you have suggested. I found the vinyl would cut on 9 and the speed would be 8 or 9 but then as soon as I came to do a design that has smaller text, if i altered the speed to 4 or 5 it would rip it more, I was told to try it on a faster speed which kind of worked as it didn't rip it but then it didn't cut through the vinyl even though its the same piece of vinyl, so I adjusted the thickness to something like 6 but put it on blade 2 and then it shredded it again :(
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,475
    @khandford91, while we try to help all who ask for it here, I'd like to point out that this forum doesn't cater to any particular cutter. Rather it is a support group for people who use the software named "Make-The-Cut!" to design cuttable files and then cut out those designs.

I believe there are forums or groups dedicated to the Silhouette machines, but I don't know the names or URLs for any since I use a KNK Zing cutter.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,475
    @Liz_A, I tried that several times today but couldn't get it to open. So I didn't feel I should give the URL. Probably just a glitch on my side. :)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,870
    I do believe you have to have an account there.
  • CapturingTheHeartCapturingTheHeart Member Posts: 85
    As you slow the speed you may need to reduce the pressure
    capturing-the-heart.com (still building our catalog) www.etsy.com/shop/CapturingTheHeart (where it all started)
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,119
    edited January 2015
    That is the correct Silhouette support forum that I know about that Liz gave above and yes, you do have to have an account there to post and maybe to access at all (mine always shows up since I am a member and its been too long since I joined to remember if I could "see" the forum before joining.)
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
This discussion has been closed.