We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

how to smooth edges for vinyl cut and svg files

Hello,

I have two problems.

First I need a tutorial to smooth edges for a vinyl cut because I have a svg file which has some lines made with a "brush" and I did not get the edges smooth. No attempt helpt me so far.

My second problem is the import of svg files. Sometimes every part of the picture is marked so that I can move it or do anything else sometimes I see only the hole picture and I can´t mark a line / part to move it ( hope it´s clear what I mean). So what must I do to mark all parts or when I create a svg file with inkscape what must I look for.

Thanx a lot and greets from Austria

Ruesch
My machine : Silhouette Cameo I , cutting software: MTC and Silhouette Studio DE, cutting skills: beginner, other software:PCS, gimp and inkscape, all on windows 7 pro . Because english is not my mother language you can keep mistakes if you find them ;-)

Comments

• RueschRuesch Member Posts: 23
    ok I got my second one. "Break" was the point I have to use .... and again rtfm X_X
    My machine : Silhouette Cameo I , cutting software: MTC and Silhouette Studio DE, cutting skills: beginner, other software:PCS, gimp and inkscape, all on windows 7 pro . Because english is not my mother language you can keep mistakes if you find them ;-)
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,141
    First, welcome to the Make the Cut forum which is a support program for the Make the Cut software program that works with a variety of different cutters.

Second, let's clarify - what cutter and software program are you trying to use?

Third, if using MTC, where are you "importing" the svg files from? The MTC online gallery? If so - one problem in regard to selecting or moving parts and pieces and sometimes not being able to is if the file is "locked". Also, when exporting an SVG file out of Inkscape to import into MTC - you Must changes the "objects to paths" in order for it to appear correctly in MTC as "cutting paths" as opposed to a simple object.

But let's start by making sure which cutter and program you are trying to use and then we can go from there to troubleshoot with you.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    edited January 2015
    Ok, I put some informations in my signature for now and future questions.

I work with MTC 4.6.1 and most of my self made svg´s I got from inkscape

thanx for the welcome

Ruediger
    Here is the file only the witch and the sun is my problem
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,288
    @Ruesch - so the issue you are having with the witch and the sun is the smoothing issue? I can go over some options with that file during the webinar tonight if you would like. What brush tool settings did you use in Inkscape to create that part of the design?
    edited January 2015
    @SBryanW‌ - that woud be great. Problem is that I did not creat the witch by my own. I just put it together with the camel, wich has fine lines.
    BTW: I tried the trick to make it smaller to 10% and than using auto simplify path.
    Post edited by Ruesch on
    edited January 2015
    Hello,

@SBryanW : webinars work :D !!!

As you can see everything is fine now. I selected the parts one for one and than rezise some to 5% some others just 10% or 50 %
    The camel parts I tried not to touch, especialy not the head. For some parts I use the (reverse) eraser. I need around an hour, but next time it will be for shure faster.

Thank You ^:)^

Ruesch

Post edited by Ruesch on
    Bryan reviewed this in the Jan 25 2015 MTC Webinar at the 00:44:47 timestamp
    Go Vols!
    edited January 2015
    @MeFlick: I know, thats the reason that I sayed webinars work... and the attached file is the result after I used the tip in the webinar.
    For all others: watch it !

Ruediger
    @Ruesh - I added that information for anyone who might look at this thread now or in the distant future, so they could go and see the information if they wanted ;) - I am usually the one creating the timestamps that get added to the Webinar recordings and if I go to the thread being discussed - I will try to add this type of note to the thread so anyone looking can go check out the Webinar where it is discussed.)
    Go Vols!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!