We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

New Heidi Swapp Minc foil applicator

sandyjsandyj Member Posts: 821
edited April 2015 in Off Topic
I saw the video of this on a cha 2015 youtube video. Looks interesting and slightly cheaper than the foil master, at $150 msrp. After looking at videos from the company, it looked like there were a few spots it missed.

Anyone know anything about it?
Post edited by SBryanW on
Just MY opinion, your milage will vary. Like "Andy" but with an "S"

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,366
    @sandyj I saw the video too last night and thought about it too. It was so slow and the carrier sheet it uses was thin - which makes me think that the Minc is just an underpowered laminator.

So today I played with my 2 hp laser printers - one a mono and the other a color - and making sure I had a best ink printout (which meant connecting my pc to the printer instead of my mac since it will only print at 600 dpi with MTC), I scotch taped some cheap GBS foil to the printed cardstock and ran it thru the printer directly and I had great results. You need to invest in a laser printer anyway with the Minc - so your outlay will be at least $200 if you do not own one already. But using the printer alone gave really great results, it made me think twice about getting another laminator. I still might, but it will not be the Minc. There are some 10ml laminators on the market for about $110. Then I pulled out my purple cow laminator and I used regular lined paper instead of the cardstock folder that I am suppose to use and that worked too for the first time - not as good as the printer even after running it thru twice but I think printers they get hotter and were directly in contact with the foil.
  • sandyjsandyj Member Posts: 821
    Yea, its obviously a laminator of sorts. I have not found it that easy to find a good name brand laminator that will do 10 mils for that price, just questionable ones with mixed reviews. If I'm going to put in $100+ for a questionable one, i may as well add a little more to get a good one. I've been trying to avoid getting the foil master as i dont do all that much foiling, but I haven't been successful with an iron or my laminator that will do 7 mils. I was hoping the Minc would eventually go on sale.

I was also wondering if part of the problem is the toner - some folks are able to use an iron, no problem. Possibly there are different 'levels' of toner? Some that melt better than others, or are made differently for cheap laser printers? In the end, the toner-as-glue is what matters.
  • GracefulGrammarGracefulGrammar Member Posts: 176
    I order the Minc today....... I will post my review when I receive it..... It is supposed to ship mid-February.
    Oh, goodie! My biggest concern is that in the videos that the COMPANY put out, i am sure i saw spots that didn't get foiled. You would think the 'official' videos would only show perfect results, so maybe I'm seeing things. Would love an unbiased review before ordering. I don't need a spotty foiler, i can do that now, lol!
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,663
    @GracefulGrammar How did you figure out how to order it? I went to HeidiSwap.com there was a price but no way to order. I then went to AmericanCrafts, and could not find her foiling products there either. I actually am interested in ordering and trying some of her foil and her foil folder. Thank you in advance. - Sharon
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
  • l00pyl0ul00pyl0u Member Posts: 281
    I think its exclusive to createandcraft.com, for a while. We have had Hiedi tied in with exclusivity over in the UK, so I'm sure they didnt miss a trick and got exclusivity on the Minc for 4-6 weeks
    http://l00pyscraftcreations.blogspot.co.uk/
    E-Craft, Cameo, and the Zing has arrived, Scan n cut, and Now Mick the Mog (Thyme Graphics/Black Cat Cougar) has joined the family
    Gallery ID 19289
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,663
    @l00pyl0u Thank you. I went to Creatandcraft website. They had 27 HeidiSwapp products, none of which was foil or the Minc.
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
    A cherry on top is showing it for pre-order.
  • sarajeancarrosarajeancarro Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for starting this thread! I am searching for anyone who might have any tips on the Minc.

I purchased the machine about a week ago and I am having trouble with it. The pre-printed cards that came with the machine turn out great, but anything from my printer is very spotty. I have a very nice laser printer and I can't get anything to turn out half way decent. I have tried a new black ink thinking it might be the problem, but no luck. I am going to try another brand of ink and see if that helps.

Has anyone else experienced trouble with the Minc?
  • AngeliCutsAngeliCuts Member Posts: 177
    Is there a setting that will allow the printer to lay down more toner (ink), @sarajeancarro? I ask because my first thought is that maybe there's not enough toner for the foil to adhere to it.
    Howdy from Texas! ~ Owner of a Cameo, Dreamer of a KNK FORCE! ~ Get help for your Cameo or Portrait at AngeliCuts'n'Sews
  • misiu8161misiu8161 Member Posts: 7
    I'm also interested in the feedback. I have a black cat foiler which i rarely use as it as so frustrating. The results are never perfect and i have used it on 3 laser printers (mono and colour) ranging from $90 to $3000 and no difference in quality. I suppose the minc would be the same but i have been wanting a decent foiler so i am almost tempted, even though i know i will most likely be disappointed...
  • madeleinemadeleine Member Posts: 135
    Try increasing the temperature on your foiling machines, also once the machine has reached it's temperature, let it sit for a bit at that temperature before foiling. That may help. The Minc is on a 4 day deal as from tomorrow at C&C here in the UK.
  • darlenemcgdarlenemcg Member Posts: 326
    I use a Brother Mono laser printer. I've found sometimes it's the card stock that is the problem;usually it's with colored/printed card stock. I set my print to High Quality for graphics and usually keep it on plain paper. For some reason the thicker paper setting doesn't work for me, so when I use this setting on thicker card stock I'm careful not to smudge the toner. The foil machine will heat the toner and foil,

For thicker card stock you may need more heat.

HTH

Thanks for the advice :) I have tested and tried many different settings and ways to put the card through (in regards to sandwiching the laser print and foil) and all failed. I seem to get the same results, if not slightly better running the foil directly through the laser printer itself. The thing that interested me somewhat was the folder the minc came with.

I think at the end of the day i am wanting something that doesnt make me tear my hair out, which would be a digital gold foil printer but i only seem to find one from a chinese supplier, which is a bit of risk i'm not sure i am willing to take.

Sorry for taking over this thread!
  • oldbeeoldbee Member Posts: 316
    Create and craft uk tv channel have this as a four day deal.you may pick up some tips or e mail in to [email protected] or is it .com can't remember.
  • oldbeeoldbee Member Posts: 316
    Sorry should have read all posts before repeating what was said by Madeleine.
    @misiu8161 just curious how high have you set the temp on your black cat. I wonder how someone would know if they've got a defective foiling machine (i.e., how would you test the temp?) I have a foiling machine (from That's A Scrap) and the HS Minc (lighter and portable) and have gotten good results on both.
    I can't actually recall @darlenemcg as I stopped using it a while ago, I did stick to the manual and then increased the temperature to experiment and then also tried decreasing it slightly. I did think i had a defective unit but when i contacted my supplier she told me to try different temps/laser printers/cards, which i did. My foiler then actually formed a big airbubble in the actual roller itself and wouldn't take in the cardstock after. I then thought "Yes!" now i can get a working foiler under warranty! I received the replacement but i still had the same issues :/

Surely it must be me i think but i've tried and tried and now when i even just look at the machine i feel frustrated, lol.

I see some nice foil prints coming up these days from handmade shops and i always wonder what their secret is, lol.
  • pshill17pshill17 Member Posts: 1
    I have just ordered the Minc machine has anyone tried using other foils with the machine or just the ones made for it?
  • paupau04paupau04 Member Posts: 4,902
    I am so tempted to revisit this again. I have been holding on to a very old printer just for this. I have heard recommendations for the Apache laminator which resembles the foil master. I have all the supplies....oh time, that's what I needed. Staples has some cheap mono lasers...can't push the buy button. $50=60. Canon and Brother
    Who's sorry now?...Hell hath no fury as a crafter scorned!!! http://sitstayscrap.blogspot.com/
  • madeleinemadeleine Member Posts: 135
    I have a hot foil machine. Tried and tested. I need to put the temperature up sometimes to get the tonner to take to the foil. I don't have a BC foiling machine. I don't need carrier mats to foil. I use the cheapest card stock that I have to foil. ie bottom layer card, what has to foiled sandwiched with another piece of card on top. I also have an ancient laser printer. I don't know your machines. I only know by going by my own machine that I can raise the temperature. The foil should be shine side down on what you are foiling. Laminators don't work if you want a perfect result.
  • AngeliCutsAngeliCuts Member Posts: 177
    Foil down, @madeleine? Are you sure? Everything I've read and watch describes and shows shiny side up.
    Howdy from Texas! ~ Owner of a Cameo, Dreamer of a KNK FORCE! ~ Get help for your Cameo or Portrait at AngeliCuts'n'Sews
    The "color" side is definitely up. I have foils that have white and silver backsides so shiny (for the material I use) not always the rule. They also make matte foils.
    Who's sorry now?...Hell hath no fury as a crafter scorned!!! http://sitstayscrap.blogspot.com/
    @pshill17 yes other foils work. I've used deco foil & foil from that's a scrap
  • kmmhugkmmhug Member Posts: 890
    I have an Apache laminator and it definitely works and works really really well. The color side is up. Grey is down. I do have a upper model Apache so that may be part of it. If it can laminate the heavy duty folders it will most likely do the foil.
    Loving my Cougar, Cameo and new Pazzle Vue!
    @kmmhug, do you have the one that looks like a foil master
  • sasprillasasprilla Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I bought the MINC and it has arrived today. I've had a quick play with it. I tried the laminator method and that left black spots unfoiled so thought I'd go for the MINC. It's better than the laminator but still leaves spots of non-foiling. I've tried gold and blue which has been the best results so far as the non-foiling on Silver really stands out to me. I wonder if it is my printer or is there bits of non-foiling always left? I tried one of the Heidi Swapp MINC tags that came with the machine. They have fully foiled but are a bit smudged and not perfect to look at.
    If anyone is still interested in getting one, I got it through joanns website for 40% off. Craftsdirect.com has it advertised for $89.98. and it took a while but joann.com did price match it. You just have to call.

Go to craftsdirect.com (no www) then click on 'current ad' and you'll find it on the lower left. The local joanns will only price match local stores, not on-line or out-of-area. When you call joanns, make SURE they just type craftsdirect.com in the bar or it won't come up. It took forever for them to find the ad, but it was because he was using www first. Also, craftsdirect doesn't sell it on line, just in the store, so its price-matching the ad, not an on-line item. Ad is good through the 15th.

I also said I wanted to use the shipping coupon and he said he'd take care of it. The current one is supposed to be $4.99, but whatever he put in gave me free shipping so woo hoo for me!
  • juliartjuliart Member Posts: 1
    Hi! Just found this topic.
    I wanted to let you know what I use for some of my foiling.
    I have a Your story laminator. I use 10 mil pouches ,from lamination depot.
    Cut the pouches a part. Then I cut them with my cameo. You then take the hot stamp foils ,lots of companies sell it. Place foil on to your design ,place in carrier and there you have it.
    I get what I want and can layer projects. The film is stiff like cardstock . You get the picture

I just found all the minc items in clearance at Jo-Ann's so I got the foils and some of the laser printed shapes,put them through my laminator and no problem.

Have a great day! Hope this helps
    Juliart
  • kmmhugkmmhug Member Posts: 890
    @paupau04 Sorry I did not see this when you posted, but yes, that is the model I have. It works great.
    Loving my Cougar, Cameo and new Pazzle Vue!
  • KSGKSG Member Posts: 1,566
    @juliart, I'm Probably Having One Of My Moments, lol Doesn't The 10 mil pouches Seal Your Foiled Design Within The pouch? Could You Use HW Cardstock To Run The Foiled Project Through The Your Story Machine? I'm Likely Missing Something...
    letha "darlene"
  • craftyellen2craftyellen2 Member Posts: 1
    hello i am seriously thinking about getting the minc But I do have 2 Laminatos and I don't want to waste money or valuble space ?
    thanks
  • anitas86anitas86 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i am reading this with interest, I have a cheap laminator, and I also brought some of the Heidi Swapp pouches and foil plus foil from ebay. I found putting it through my cheap laminator with the pouch gave me the best results using Heidi Swapp tags and then letting it cool, although sometimes a bit patchy with both foils. However printed stuff doesn't seem very good, I would like to know if this is different with the Swapp laminator? The demonstrator on C & C only ever seems to use Swapp products and never printed stuff which makes me suspicious that it doesn't work very well on printed stuff. Has anyone with the MINC had good results with their own printed material?
    Most inexpensive laminators don't get hot enough to really melt the toner. I have a laminator that will do up to 5mm pouches and it ALMOST got hot enough, but not quite and I got spots. I THINK I read that a laminator has to be rated for 9 mm pouches to be hot enough, and those are the expensive machines.

The minc has 5 heat settings, with '3' being hot enough for the pre-made items. I get spotty results with my own cheap laser printer, but perfect results with pre-made items or things printed with the good printer at work. I don't know if there is a difference with toner powder or between brands, so I don't know what is up with that. But I do know my laser printer doesn't completely seal down toner when using 65 lb paper, so that might have something to do with it.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,871
    My laminator set for 5mil pouches works fine with the toner sheets I had printed at Office Depot as long as the cut designs do not have very thin lines. But it works even better when I cut my designs out of a single layer of laminating pouch.
  • NevaNeva Member Posts: 402
    If someone just wants to play with it for the cost of postage I have one to give away with some toner sheets, no foil. I bought a laser printer & a bigger laminator to use all purpose. The Minc worked well for me for the most part.
    First PM takes it.
    edited July 2015
    @Neva seriously? If you are in the US - Then I would love the minc for the cost of postage. The cheapest I found was $83 for the 12 inch and $65 for the mini minc
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,163

@Neva seriously? If you are in the US - Then I would love the minc for the cost of postage. The cheapest I found was $83 for the 12 inch and $65 for the mini minc

@leslie6111 - just wanted to point out that @Neva noted that "First PM takes it" - so you want to make sure you pm here. :wink:

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    @MeFlick Thanks Melanie- I also messaged her just after.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,060
    If you compare costs of the laminating pouches against the cost of a roll of laminate film, you might find the film would be a better value, and you can cut it as big or small as you like. I have a pouch laminator from USI (actually I have two of them) and have never bought laminating pouches, just the film, which I cut to size for each project (my second laminator came with a box of pouch laminate which I hate). The roll I have cost me $16, and I am sure it will last me another 3 years. I bought it locally as its very heavy and so shipping costs would be high to buy online, especially from US to Canada. Just a suggestion.
  • tvoss123tvoss123 Member Posts: 212
    Hi Liz_A, Where do you purchase laminator rolls?
  • NevaNeva Member Posts: 402
    Sorry, Leslie was the first to post a PM so it will be on the way to her tomorrow!
    @tvoss123 - I purchase locally.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,163
    tvoss123 said:

Hi Liz_A, Where do you purchase laminator rolls?

You might check office and school supplies stores although they may only carry it online. Check for laminating film or laminating film rolls. I checked Office Depot/Office Max - mostly they only have it available for online purchases. http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?Ntt=laminating+film&searchSuggestion=true and Staples:http://www.staples.com/laminating+film+rolls/directory_laminating+film+rolls?fids=facet:774069071036425&rpp=18&pn=1&sr=true and then there is Amazon (where several can be ordered with Amazon Prime for free shipping): http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_20?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=laminating+film+roll&sprefix=laminating+film+roll,aps,204

One thing you want to take into consideration is the "thickness" and type of the lamination pouch or film and know what you can use in your machine. You don't want to get "cold" (no heat used) film or pouches for a "hot" laminator. In addition, you don't want to get lamination pouches or film that are rated for a higher heat setting then you have on your laminator. For example - if your laminator only goes up to 5 ml - you don't want film that is rated to go up to 7 ml. The same is true in reverse, you don't want to use 3 ml film at a 5 or 7 ml setting on your machine. (The ml refers to the "thickness" of the film The higher the thickness - the hotter the setting of the laminator must be to "melt" it or fuse it together properly. I assume the same is true for using the laminator film/pouches for what Julie refers to above.

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    @MeFlick, @tvoss123 - by locally I mean lamination supplies stores, I have't found rolls in my local office supply stores. I buy 1.3 ml.
  • tvoss123tvoss123 Member Posts: 212
    Thanks @Liz_A. I will see what my laminator will use.
    edited July 2015
    @tvoss123 - you are welcome...usually the higher the heat, the thicker you can go. I find on my double sided items, the 1.3 mil is perfect, I don't like the unnatural stiffness of a thicker laminate. I love making bookmarks, which I double side laminate, using a cardstock like Michaels Recollections, I print and cut those projects. I make desktop calendars using an #80 linen cardstock from Neenah, which laminates so incredibly beautifully, I have a hard time giving them away, LOL!!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!