We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Vinyl for Rubbermaid mailboxes

HolleyMcHolleyMc Member Posts: 22
edited January 2015 in General
Which vinyl is best for the textured plastic like on the Rubbermaid Mailboxes? I have plenty of 651 but my friend says hers peels off within a day.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the design here by @TammyK, Any suggestions? but I don't see any mention of what kind of vinyl and the discussion is closed.
Wife, Dance Mom, Cheer Mom, Full-time working Mom
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• AnointedHandsAnointedHands Member Posts: 797
    Just a thought here...vinyl might not adhere to textured products without being treated first (maybe with mod podge). Textured products have hills and valleys (though small) and the vinyl can't get a good stick.
    Painting might be a better solution.

HTH
    Althea
  • elliott37elliott37 Member Posts: 1,056
    @HolleyMc My mailbox isn't a Rubbermaid brand but it is the thick, textured plastic. I used outdoor vinyl - probably Greenstar from USCutter. It's the same as Oracal 651. The application was easy and the vinyl has adhered very well. It doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon and it's been 1 1/2 years (or more).
    In NC cutting with a Cameo, 18" BC Cougar, & Pazzles Vue
  • DarleneIDarleneI Member Posts: 2,743
    You also need to make sure your surface is very clean and no oily film. Some plastics still have a film from their molding. I would also burnish down really well with my fingers. Good luck.
  • Barb_craftroboBarb_craftrobo Member Posts: 43
    I have one of those Rubbermaid mailboxes and they do have a very rough surface everywhere but a couple of smooth areas on both sides and the door. I doubt that most exterior vinyl will stick well if you're trying to cover the rough areas. I'd clean well with alcohol and maybe try one of the reflective vinyls if they'll work for your design. Most are a bear to weed if really small objects, but the ones I've used, both FDC and Mactac I think (from H&H) have A LOT of adhesive, so with a little warming and time to set up, it sticks really well.
  • elliott37elliott37 Member Posts: 1,056

I have one of those Rubbermaid mailboxes and they do have a very rough surface everywhere but a couple of smooth areas on both sides and the door. I doubt that most exterior vinyl will stick well if you're trying to cover the rough areas.

The door of my mailbox is the only smooth surface. As mentioned in my previous post, I used outdoor vinyl equivalent to Oracal 651. I didn't pre-treat the surface at all and the mailbox was new (straight out of the carton) when I applied the vinyl. The vinyl is still firmly adhering to the rough textured mailbox - no peeling at all. You can see that part of the design (the ivy near the bottom) is thin. That, too, is adhering. It has been through a large range of temperatures & weather for a couple of years. Still no peeling or loosening of the vinyl.

In NC cutting with a Cameo, 18" BC Cougar, & Pazzles Vue
  • Barb_craftroboBarb_craftrobo Member Posts: 43
    Certainly worth a try, that looks great, but l know our black Rubbermaid one is very rough. The reflective vinyl from H&H was MAClite, the FDC came from Specialty Graphics. Easier to weed if you make 2 cuts and don't wait too long between cutting and weeding.
  • HolleyMcHolleyMc Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for all the input! @elliott37 - AMAZING job! I see your in NC - I'm in southern VA, so I'm sure the climate is basically the same. Did you use a heat gun or do anything special? Or just cut, weed and transfer? I'm very impressed!!
    Wife, Dance Mom, Cheer Mom, Full-time working Mom
This discussion has been closed.