We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Boxes inside of Boxes

wildflowerwildflower Member Posts: 11
I bought 3 of these Advent Shadow Boxes to fill and give to each family for all my grandchildren to count down to Christmas this year. Each one came with 24 little 3 in. X 3 in. cardboard boxes, but I decided I wanted to replace some of them with colored ones for a little more interest. Bryan's advice to take a box apart and use it for a pattern a few webinars ago was very timely. Thank you so much! I took one apart and did just that and found I had a really great box pattern because the bottom flaps fold into each other so well only the side tabs had to be glued.
Then I started adjusting the sizes of the boxes so I could fit little boxes with some of my gifts and goodies inside the bigger boxes.

I had jewelry pieces to put in one of the days and was able to fit all six of these boxes with each child's name written on top inside of the 3 in. box. Resizing the box when I kept it square was easy. Because some of my cardstock was heavier than some other colors, I cut a square bottom insert to make them stronger. Selecting all and resizing that square down on the mat to the exact size I needed worked perfect. The only adjustment I had to make when I did the little ring boxes was with the size of the score lines. I also made a small little ring holder that fit inside the smallest box. The smaller boxes were nice because I could weld the sides together, fit all of the pattern on the mat and there was only one tab to glue.
In some of the boxes I was including pieces from a nativity set. All the figurines fit inside of the 3 inches except the camel and a donkey. So I made bigger boxes for them with this same pattern and included a second bottom piece inside of heavier cardboard to carry their weight. Making a box that is wider than it is tall takes a little more work, but it wasn't too bad. I measured the camel and increased the width to 5 inches square. Then removed 3 inches right down the middle just between the tabs and connected the lines back together. That way the top and bottom flaps stay proportional and they were just as easy to click into place as the other sizes. I told the grandchildren that they will find notes telling them when to open the two bigger boxes.
Files for a few of the boxes I designed are attached. I hope they come in handy for someone else this Christmas. I had so much fun doing this project. It was good to have to have it done by Thanksgiving. Now onto other things on my Christmas list and catching up on more webinars! Thank you so much Make The Cut!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!