We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Zing with Make the Cut for Commercial?

Hello, my name is John. I own a powersport business in Indiana and I'm looking for a vinyl printer, cutter, and software to make vinyl decals for the Powersport Vehicles. Since the season is coming to an end, I would also like equipment that could give me other options for off season revenue like T-shirts, signs, banners, window clings, etc... I have been checking out some commercial grade machines that I'm seeing for around $2000.00 and up, but some of these machines only have 300 gram of pressure? Not sure if that is an important spec or not, but seems to be, and also some people have told me that cheaper machines (still over $1000) don't cut detail well. From what I seen from some video's on youtube of the Zing, it seems to handle detail very well for a lot less money? Am I missing something?

I guess what I'm asking is...
#1 Can the Zing handle commercial workload?
#2 Can the Zing or Make the cut software, work with vinyl that has been printed from a vinyl printing machine?

I know more equipment would be necessary for business growth and demand in this field, and especially when adding different types of products, but could I get started with the Zing, MTC, a vinyl printer, and a heat transfer press?

I appreciate any feedback, ideas, and your suggestions.

Thank you,
John

Comments

• primstencilprimstencil Member Posts: 109
    @John. I know from personal experience that the Zing can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. It can cut a much wider variety of material than a lot of the more expensive cutters out there. Plus the blades are very cheap in price and they can handle a lot of cutting too. I cut mostly paper and thin cardstock, but a lot of people on here do cut vinyl quite a bit. I have seen a cutter/printer/plotter that can print with metallic ink plus your standard CYMK, but it costs about $9000. That's on the low end. This is the webpage if you are interested -
    http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/bn/

• marsmars Member Posts: 1,116
    @HoosierDaddy‌

For cutting vinyl 300 grams is more than adequate- so don't base your decision on high cutting force numbers. If you are cutting printed vinyl you WILL want to get a cutter with either a laser or an optical registration mark sensor capability The Zing! uses a laser for alignment. You will print your design and include "registration marks" which you then use to precisely line up the cutter with the design - and let you cut closely around designs for your final graphic.

The main thing you need to consider is how large are the designs you want to produce? The Zing! will cut from 15" vinyl rolls and with care can cut designs over several feet long. For the price you get a great design program and a very good cutting machine. If you want to do full length graphics for a boat using printed vinyl you will run into problems with the Zing! - and probably from any cutter on the market in the under $2000 price range. For smaller stuff JetSki 4-wheelers etc the Zing! should handle anything you throw at it.

-Mike
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,797
    @HoosierDaddy‌ Welcome, John!

I own both the Zing and a bigger, KNK (brand) machine that was the predecessor to the Maxx Air and geared for commercial production. It cuts 24" wide and heavier stock as does the Maxx Air. I am a huge fan of both machines and either will handle detail work and a variety of stock like a champ.

What I don't know the answer to, (and I'm sure someone from KNK will weigh in here, soon), is what the expectation can be for "pedal down" time regarding production. Sometimes "commercial grade" applies to size and sometimes it applies to force and that "pedal down" time factor.

If this is a new venture and you don't need more than 15" in width, the Zing is a bargain-priced way to test the waters and a rock-solid-reliable machine. If you know that bigger will matter, you will get more size and range with the 24" Maxx Air at $1199 (last I knew). They both come with software, but it is different with each machine.

I am by no means an expert on bigger vinyl machines, but size and price seem to be the biggest factor, not cutting excellence. Vinyl alone simply doesn't need much force.
    Lynne
    Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
    In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
  • kb25t17kb25t17 Member Posts: 277
    The numbers related accuracy to track over a distance is something you should pay close attention to when buying a machine for professional use.
  • HoosierDaddyHoosierDaddy Member Posts: 2
    kb25t17 said:

The numbers related accuracy to track over a distance is something you should pay close attention to when buying a machine for professional use.

Thanks for all the info! :) I'm considering different options for cutters, I will probably get the Zing and a larger cutter. Of course I have to start somewhere and can always move up.

I will do some research on accuracy to track over a distance.

Thanks so much.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,046
    I urge you to contact KNK USA early next week. They have over 25 years of experience in vinyl cutters and can tell you the pluses and minuses of choosing a Zing over other options for your specific application. You can reach them at 800-268-3672 weekdays after 8:30 am EDT.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,363
    edited October 2014
    I agree completely with SandyMcC. Contact KNK USA to discuss. You won't get a big push to sell you one of their machines so you feel pressured. They'll tell you what you need to know and let you make your own decisions armed with some good solid information for your comparisons.

As another satisfied Zing owner, I can tell you that, as with anything, there are pros and cons. One con is that you have to be willing to put in a few hours to learn how the Zing works and what you, as the operator, have to do to ensure it does the best job possible. The Zing is not a toy. It is a serious cutter and it will serve you well, if you hold up your side of the equation.

On the pro side you have MTC, one of the most useful and easy to use programs for designing and cutting that you can buy. It ain't perfect, but it is pert near. Not only can you do regular t-shirts with it using HTV, but you can also do rhinestones, which are pretty hot right now. And if you like, you can use the Conical Warp feature to cut tapered vinyl that will fit perfectly on tumblers. So your customers can lounge at the water, wearing t-shirts you've sold them, sipping a cold drink from a tumbler with your vinyl design on it. Pretty sweet, right?

Another pro is the Zing. Did you know that the blade carriage has a holder in it that can hold all sorts of different tools? So you can put in an engraving tool to mark on metal, or put in a permanent marker to draw line art. It will hold every tool made for the Zing by KNK, of course, but it will also hold tools made by other companies. So if you decide, for example, that you can get by using Roland blades, not to worry. You can fit a Roland blade holder into the Zing with no problem. Opens up all kinds of possibilities. Engraved bracelets, embossed wall art, machine drawn sketches of people enjoying the powersports. You get my drift.

I could write a 10 page essay on how great MTC and the Zing are. But I'll let you find out for yourself. I don't want to spoil the fun for you. :D
  • BrendaSBrendaS Member Posts: 731
    @HoosierDaddy‌
    I see that there is a used Zing for sale for $250 listed under "Selling my Zing" that may be an option for you.

Good Luck
    BrendaS
  • HoosierDaddyHoosierDaddy Member Posts: 2
    Wow you guys are full of information... I appreciate all the info I can get. :)
    I see that there is a used Zing for sale for $250 listed under "Selling my Zing" that may be an option for you.
    I'll check that out for sure.
    One con is that you have to be willing to put in a few hours to learn how the Zing works
    Is there training available?
    urge you to contact KNK USA early next week.
    I will do this for sure. Thank you!

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,046
    Those who take the time to go through the first two chapters of the online user manual and watch the videos that are linked within those chapters seem to do just fine. Post as many questions as you like and you'll get answers here. : ) Beyond that, if you need additional training, just post back and I'll find someone for you.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
This discussion has been closed.