We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Make your own stamps

GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,330
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
People like to use stamps for lots of reasons. One of those reasons could be to make a patterned design as a background image for a paper project. Sometimes the stamp you'd like to use has a restriction against using it on items you want to sell. The best way around that restriction is simply to make your own pattern stamps. But how, you ask...

Well, there is a neat product out there called Sugru. It was developed to be an easy to use plastic type product that could be used to either mend something broken, or create something from scratch. Here's the website so you can read about it and see some examples: http://www.sugru.com

You can buy from their website or Amazon, among many options for buying Sugru.

On one of my favorite "maker" sites, Instructables, I recently found directions on how to use Sugru to make your own pattern stamps. The instructions include a seamless pattern on a roller you can use to cover a whole sheet of paper easily. Here's the link to the Instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Impressed-Sugru-Stamps/

Hope some of you find this information useful. :)

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,316
    @Gabe looks like a neat product maybe as it catches on it will get a little cheaper- $22 for 8 pieces - $2.75 for each DIU stamp.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,330
    @leslie6111‌, $2.75 per stamp? Is that expensive? I guess it's relative. I know I've spent more money than I ever should have on books that weren't too helpful, or beads and findings that are still in the package. Not long ago I was bitten by the art bug. I bought markers and paint pens and made alcohol inks and bought fancy watercolor paper. Then I remembered I can't draw a lick. How I forgot that I'll never know. I've spent a lot of money on stuff that hind sight makes me realize I should have just saved my money. But I've never bought any Sugru, yet. This project looks like it might be worth it. :)
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,316
    @Gabe I think ready made stamps in general are pretty pricey too and do not own many of them. They are at about the same price point as ones made with Sugru. I just think Sugru stamps should be less expensive that commercial stamps since the stamping samples out there show they are not as crisp.
  • DarleneIDarleneI Member Posts: 2,741
    Well Gabe,
    We have a lot in common. I too spend lots of money on stuff I end up not using but you never know until you try it. lol You do know it's ok to trace to get started. A lot of fine artist can't draw but they can paint. There are people out there who can paint beautifully but have to trace most of the time. I am one of those. I draw much better now because the more you hand trace the more you see how to connect the lines. Art is in the eye of the beholder. I never thought I liked beatnik funky modern type art until I saw some in person. (I don't even know the right term...lol) My friends tell me I am wasting my time doing scrapbooking and paper art but it makes me feel good. That being said they'll take my paper stuff in a heartbeat..lol. They want me to spend all my time painting.
    Art is to cause you enjoyment and make you relax. I actually had a student once who got so stressed out I actually had to tell her if she wasn't enjoying it to give it up and find something she enjoyed. She was a fabulous gardener (not me) and seamstress. She loved those things. Unless we are doing a job especially to make a living we need to just relax and enjoy.
This discussion has been closed.