We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

2014 roland blade "Resolved"

1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 850
edited May 2014 in General
Hi, I am sorry to beat this thing to the ground but would someone be so kind as to share a current link to the correct Roland blade holder and blades that can be used for a Zing cutter? If not the link, maybe the name of the Roland holder and also an explanation of what blade is similar to the red blade and what blade is similar to the blue blade. They have angle blades discussed and I don't get that, red and blue I get. I have looked through all the old posts including the ones that say refer to number 5 on this page, but the page has been sold out so it does not help me. I guess for future reference a blade holder name and an idea of what blades equate to red and blue would be most helpful. Thank you. ~Diane
Post edited by 1cardcreator on

Comments

• AnointedHandsAnointedHands Member Posts: 805
    I don't know about the Roland blade holders but I can share some info about the blades. The red blade is a 45 degree blade and the blue blade is a 60 degree blade. If you look at them, you will notice blade slant...the one with the longer slant is 45 degrees.

HTH
    Althea
  • 1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 850
    Thank you @anointedhands I will mark it down for when I find the holder.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,571
    @1cardcreator‌, as I recall there is a seller on eBay who sells the Roland blade holders that fit in the Zing. In the lower section of the listing, it is the holder in the #5 position.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-Holder-Cutting-Plotter-Vinyl-Cutter-for-Pcut-Mimaki-Roland-Cricut-Redsail-/121056356342?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2f8567f6

Scroll down until you see the numbered table with the pics of blade holders.

For Roland blades for these holders you can get them from Elkins Creek Vinyl. hwgang said this about that; "Mark, from Elkins Creek Vinyl: http://elkinscreek.com/ has great prices and stellar service, in my experience. He's as cheap as anywhere. NAYY, just a fan.

He's also on the forum here. @elkinscreekvinyls "
    Thank you @Gabe, I think I may have hit a page similar to that in one of the older posts but because the one I looked at was expired I was not sure, especially with so many different blade combinations on that page. Thanks for taking the time. ~Diane
  • nonacrobertsnonacroberts Member Posts: 807
    You can try this web sight. www.cleancutblades.com
    1-866-579-0963. This company in USA.They carry real roland blades not ones from China. I used to buy from them for my cricut. There blades last a really long time.
  • kb25t17kb25t17 Member Posts: 277
    edited May 2014
    Look at this illustration of a degree angle versus a 45 degree angle. Then look at your blades. You need to learn what the actual angles of the blade ends look like instead of just relying on colored caps. The reason for that is sometimes the colored caps get mixed up or lost. A little practice with looking at different angles of blades side by side and you will soon be able to see the difference between them. You can do this!
    edited May 2014
    The previous post would not let me add the image so here it is. It would be difficult to go by the advice of looking for the longer slant. You can see that difference more clearly in this illustration. Please do not try to think in terms of "length" as that can be very confusing. A 60 degree blade can be described as being longer than a 45 degree blade versus the comment above where they are describing the 45 degree blade as being longer. Instead you need to learn to recognize the blades in terms of the angle of the cutting edge of the blade relative to the surface that is getting cut. Those are the two surfaces the angle is measured from.
    Thank you @kb25t17, that makes sense now... I think. Did you switch up the colors in your illustration though? I tried to match your picture mentally with what @Anointedhands wrote and almost got more confused. From your picture what I call a blue blade is the 60 and it cuts deeper materials so it must be a deeper slant. I took someones suggestion and have a red and a blue blade holder so I just switch holders. I should probably buy 2 of the others now that I think about it. It is nice not to have to keep switching blades. ~Diane
    edited May 2014
    I hate the editor, it won't let me exchange the image. When I drew the illustration I was not thinking in terms of blue caps and red. I just randomly chose the colors. I have now recreated the image to match the cap colors. But it can also be seen as a lesson in don't trust to cap colors as you can get caps and blades mixed up. Do a visual check of the blade angle before you use it.
    Post edited by kb25t17 on
    @kb25t17 You are right, I guess I should remember it as the 60 cuts thicker materials so it has to go deeper in, I think that is what I was trying to say incorrectly by using the term length, I did not mean the actual length of the blade but the depth, my mistake. I was not sure if you did it that way to play with me or if I totally misunderstood, lol. Thanks for the help. ~Diane
    edited May 2014
    Diane, I was not playing with you.
    @kb25t17 Thanks, I got that from the second picture, you did make me think though, I had to go back and check if I was understanding it right or not. Which was your point exactly, not to rely on the color but the knowledge of what the blades mean so you did prove your point, I have it sunk in my brain and actually will remember now, thanks. ~Diane
  • JacksonistaJacksonista Member Posts: 153
    Well, I just bought a Roland blade holder and blades from Elkins Creek and it is not made to fit into the Zing, at least not the one that was sent to me. I am so disappointed right now. Even the blade, when inserted, hangs way out the bottom of the holder. I will post a picture here in a minute. I told him I had a Zing and the holder I got looks like the holder at #7 on the ebay listing stated in a previous comment at the top of this conversation. I wanted so bad to give this blade a whirl too. I am contacting him to send it back along with the blades because the holder along with 3 blades cost me $32.00, and now there will be additional shipping to send it back. I hope he has the correct holder. So far, the best holder and blades I've gotten to work in my Zing are the eclips ones. Cheap (the holder was $15, and 2 blades cost me $8). Shipping was free and these holders fit the Zing great with regards to the length, the only caveat is they have a larger circumference than the KNK holders, so recalibration is necessary for print and cuts. Also, there is an issue with offset. Even 0.70 creates circles that aren't quite up to par. I love my KNK holders, but sometimes I find using the eclips produces better results.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,359
    Jacksonista - I have a blade holder very similar to what you show, but the blades don't stick out near as much as that - I can make the tip disappear. Maybe you got the wrong blades, although I don't recall having to specify the blade length when ordering them. I don't use this blade holder in my Zing, as I am quite happy with the Zing blade holders and blades. If the blade cannot be adjusted back into the holder, it could always be used with O rings to raise it up a bit.
    Liz_A--I thought I had seen a post somewhere where the user had a holder that looked like this one. I don't have a problem using the 25 post its for the correct depth, but the blade will not go into the holder all the way. It came with 3 blades and I tried all 3, none go all the way in. I am sending it back and hope to get a good replacement. I too love the KNK holders and blades, and I know there is a reason the spring is changed with each blade replacement, but honestly, if a little bit of paper gets caught in the end, it becomes a huge hassle to remove the paper bits. Also, I absolutely love the plunger load the other holders offer, very quick. I don't care about click depth settings that so many others users prefer. I love having the ability to get a precise depth with manual turning and test cuts prior to cutting. Something I noticed is the wide aperture the blade comes out of on the eclips; it actually keeps paper from becoming jammed if a bit happens to break free from the item being cut. I know the new eclips blade holders have been made so that they don't click and have an infinite number of adjustments, like the KNK holders do. My plan is to buy the correct holder from ebay if elkins creek does not have it.
    @Jacksonista, what blades do you buy for the eclips holder? I like my Zing holders but the blades are really expensive and I have had a few that did not last any time at all, I was just hoping to find a cheaper blade. ~Diane
    I use the OEM eclips brand standard blades. They cost about $8 for two on Amazon. I also tried to put one of the Roland blades that came with my Roland holder into my eclips holder and while it retracts much further into the eclips holder than it did in the Roland blade holder, it sticks out further than the native OEM eclips blade does. That is not necessarily a bad thing because on the click setting of '1' using the OEM blades, it hardly sticks out at all, which may be good for vinyl, but not much else. I have heard great things about the Roland holder, I'm just puzzled at the big difference in size and the fact the blade does not fully retract into the holder as it should. Without retracting all the way back in, there can be no testing of cut depth on different materials. If it did, I might have kept it.
    Roland blade holders are made to fit a slew of different machines. The #5 blade holder in the auction listing referenced above has been tested by several Zing owners with excellent results. And I might mention that I said to buy blades from Elkins Creek, not blade holders. I could be wrong but I don't think they carry a Roland blade holder that fits the Zing. Mark should chime in with the answer to that question.
    @Gabe, thank you. ~Diane
    The critical thing to know about blade holders is what is the diameter of the barrel where it slips into the machines clamp. If you know that then you know what to shop for on Ebay and other web sites. The Ebay listings will most often state what the diameter of the blade holder is, given in millimeters. You can use calipers to measure the diameter of the blade holder that came with your machine. Once you know the diameter you enter it in your Ebay search criteria and find the holders that you know will slide right into the blade holder clamp.

Reasonably decent digital calipers can be purchased for about $35.00. Nowadays you can purchase them in your local hardware store. You can also use them to measure the actual thickness of your materials. These digital calipers will change from metric to inches and on some pairs they also have a function for displaying the measurement in fractions. You just slide the jaws closed against the surfaces of what you want to measure and read the result on the display. Nothing could be easier, it beats a ruler hands down for accuracy every time.

Think about this too, if you know the thickness of the material you want to cut you can use that information to know how exactly how many clicks on the blade holder you should be at. For instance on the Silhouette holder each click moves the blade .1 mm. So at position 1 your blade is extended .1mm, at position 2 it will be .2mm. Measuring the thickness of the paper takes all the guess work out of the blade depth settings.
    @kb25t17 , good information, thank you. The listing #5 that @Gabe sent me to showed the exact size in the description for the Zing so I should be able to use that info. Thanks again. ~Diane
  • twitbobtwitbob Member Posts: 509
    Does the Zing use the same blade holder as the Maxx Air? If so, the holder is 14mm in diameter.

I recently bought two Liyu Blade holders for my Maxx Air from eBay UK and I'm more than pleased with their performance. The quality level is high. They run for around £17 each and take Roland blades.

Hope this helps.
    Twit B

No one knows his real strength till it is put to the test; the highest joy in life is to discover that the soul can meet the test, and survive it.
    Elkins Creek has a holder, a CB-something, I think CB015, but, it is like the kNK holder in that you have to place a spring,etc. Not my thing, so my Roland is going back. I will order the #5 on ebay and give it a try. Also, I tried the Roland blade in my eclips and wow, even though it sticks out at setting of '1' it cuts so doggone nice at an offset of 0.25. Just for grins and giggles, I took some close up images of the different blades. I thought I'd share them. The Roland blade is most similar to the Sil Cameo blade. The image of the 3 blades shows how different the Zing blade s from the eclips and Roland. I put the Roland and eclips up against one another and the Roland is slightly longer than the eclips blade.
    @Jacksonista, I took the information from @Gabe and @kb25t17 and took a chance and ordered 1 blade holder and 15 blades from this site. It was only 20.89 last night, today I see it is now 21.99
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261441810536

1 pc Roland Cutting Plotter Blade Holder Vinyl Cutter+15 pcs 30°45°60° Roland Cutting Plotter Blades
    Description:
    High quality and extra long service life
    Blade Holder:Diameter(Clamp)14mmxDiameter(Blade) 2.0mmxLength(Clamp to down) 28mm
    Material: Extra accuracy & high density tungsten cemented carbide
    Standard Blade for cutting color adhesive media -standard vinyl. Suitable for cutting media up to 0.25mm thick
    Package includes:
    1 PC Roland Cutting Plotter Blade Holder
    5 pcs 30° Roland Blades
    5 pcs 45° Roland Blades
    5 pcs 60° Roland Blades
    Delivery looks long, Estimated delivery: Wed. Jun. 18 - Wed. Jul. 23 ,but we will see, I still have 2 of each Zing blade new in the package. I will let you know when and what I get. ~Diane
    @1CardCreator--I bookmarked the same auction but I'll wait to see what you get. I got ahold of Mark at Elkins Creek. He informed me I needed to adjust the Roland holder and the blade did then become fully recessed. I tried the holder and I'm not that impressed with it and frankly it feels flimsy. I wish I didn't buy it, but in a pinch would use it. However, I have come up with what I consider the perfect combination of things. Holder=eclips Blade=Roland 45 degree blade using a 0.25 offset. I have obtained some of the most intricate cuts on very thick, difficult to cut cardstock. I am not kidding, my cuts have been glorious. That is not to say my KNK holders have not achieved fabulous results, and I as I understand it, the new bunch of thin material blades use an offset of 0.25 so that obtaining a much more precise fine cut is even easier. But, I have no intention of going back any time soon. I am planning on recalibrating my cutter for print and cuts using the eclips holder. my plan is to really do some more heavy testing tomorrow with my current setup and if all goes well, that'll be it. Also, the eclips holders are $16 and the Roland blades run about $2 each. I could afford to change a blade every week!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,359
    @twitbob‌ - "Does the Zing use the same blade holder as the Maxx Air? If so, the holder is 14mm in diameter. " Yes, the Maxx Air, Zing Air, and Zing blade holders are the same.
    @Jacksonista I am wildly surprised that the blade holder and blades all arrived last night! I just tested out the 60 degree Roland blade in the holder and it cuts beautifully! Definitely worth the money! ~Diane
    @Jacksonista just wanted to let you know the red blades are awesome too! I ordered another set so I won't have to keep switching blades in and out. They also offer the option of requesting what blades you want.
    @1cardcreator, I'm not quite getting what you are saying. Sorry. You ordered red blades. Are you talking about the KNK blades with the red plastic caps? Or are you saying you ordered blades from the eBay seller that are the same angle as the KNK red capped blades? And another #5 blade holder for the "red blades." :)
    Sorry @Gabe, you caught me doing it again. I should have said the 45 degree blade works perfectly too. I tried the 60 degree blade on some .005 polyester sheet for stencils I made, and it cut like butter! I did place another order for another #5 Roland blade holder and 15 Roland blades. This time I requested 10 of the 45degree blades and 5of the 60 degree blades. I used the information you provided on the #5 holder and found that holder along with 15 blades for 20.89, the price went up to 21.99 right after I ordered it. The Ebay item number is 261441810536, the vendor is Saite cutter, I am extremely pleased with the holder and the blades. Thank you for your help. ~Diane
    @1cardcreator‌ - Diane, I thought that was what you were saying but I wanted to be sure. :)

I'm glad you're now a happy camper with blades and blade holders that you like. Cutting with a machine is definitely a "trial and error" process. You have to have the determination not to get discouraged when things aren't doing what you want, and the perseverance to keep trying various options until you figure out what works best. Another tip is to keep a "Cutting Journal" so that you don't have to remember what worked and what didn't. You can look it up in your journal and save yourself tons of time if it is something you've already dealt with in the past.

And of course, this forum is the mine where you'll find the gold in the form of answers to questions about all sorts of issues. Plus there are ideas that take your crafting to whole new levels and training that will have you mastering new concepts and learning new ways to reach your crafting goals. Everyday I see something here that inspires me and I have a journal with all kinds of ideas and fixes and notes to keep me going.

Have fun and please share the projects you make. There is a neat category called "Your Masterpieces" where you can post pictures. Even better, you can peruse that category any time and see many excellent and mind blowing works of art. Kewl!
    @1cardcreator‌ thank you for posting the results and I will be placing my order tonight. I have had excellent outcome using the Eclips clicky holder and 45 degree Roland blades (although I may want to buy the non-clicky eclips blade holder for more precise depth and less cutting mat damage :-O. Just earlier today I ordered 5 of the roland blades for $13.89 and will now be placing an order for the other holder and more blades from the same seller you spoke of.
    @1cardcreator I got my holder and blades today. It has been very warm and insanely muggy here the past week and I thought I'd give the new stuff a try. I used regular printed scrapbooking paper and cut intricate designs. They came out incredibly well. Now in all fairness, the blade is brand new and therefore very sharp. But, the paper is very damp from the ambient humidity so I am nothing short of amazed. I would like to mention that the blade holder is not the same distance to the paper from the "catch ring" or ledge that sits on the holder 'jaw'. it is longer. However, that does not appear to affect the cut. It does seem that whatever you cut would require less force since the holder is longer, but, I like that I can manually set the depth of the blade. I am planning on buying another eclips holder (the new style where the 'clicky' setting has been disabled) so that getting more precise depth is easy.
    Here is an example of what I cut using the "loopy heart" pattern from the Silhouette Store.
    @Jacksonista, I am happy you got the same great results that I did. The blade holder sits in my Zing perfectly and I am getting great cuts too. Beautiful file you cut too, thanks for sharing. ~Diane
    Scratch buying another eclips holder, I will buy another Liyu brand holder. A couple of cardboard ring spacers did the trick!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!