NEW VERSION OF PCS RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.1.0
Click here to learn more!

We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 25% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Brother ScanNCut Price

michele4michele4 Posts: 73Member
So the Brother website said to check back September 23rd for the full website and I do not see it! Ugh, I was just hoping to see pricing details. Does anyone know the price for sure yet?
Cameo

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 5,992Member
    Knowing how website developments go, check back in a few more days, I haven't seen one website go live on schedule yet :).
  • GranAnnieGranAnnie Posts: 92Member
    Thanks for reminding me.. The website is live now.
  • michele4michele4 Posts: 73Member
    Nice with lots of information. Found out it will be on Amazon but I still did not see a price. :-S
    Cameo
  • RorysnonnaRorysnonna Posts: 567Member
    Hi Everyone,
    I of course ran home from work to check out the scan n cut. I am already a bit annoyed. Did you notice that they did not post any real specs on the machine. Even the price is not clear. How much is the blue one as opposed to the red one? When you scan to usb what file format is it in? They show someone putting the usb drive into what I think is a picture bridge. I keep going on to the Brother website to look for the owners manual and it is not there. Also on Julie Balzer's blog she has pictures and a story about how she and others were just here in Jersey to make an infomercial that will be airing in November in 22 cities. Also in one video I saw Liz welded three flowers to a square. You can see on the mat that the square did not cut right. I can't pause the video to get a screen shot, but for sure the square is messed up. I think I would only use this to scan my 12X12 papers and for now I am not sure I would use it enough. So glad I have my ZING and MTC!!
    I figured out how to get the pic
    Check it out:image
    notice how she is hiding the problem!
    welding mess up.JPG
    759 x 475 - 79K
  • BerryoneBerryone Posts: 5,219Member
    edited September 2013
    Ah The Tricks Of The Trade

And Just Look At The Wasted Paper
    Post edited by Berryone on
    $399 is a little too steep for that machine. I wanted to get one possibly for my kids to craft with me. After seeing that crooked cut... I think I will probably pass.
    Cameo
  • HelenHelen Posts: 1,787Member
    I have too many cutters and most likely will not buy this straight away, but like I already said in the other thread, potential buyers of this ScanNCut could also buy MTC Software (money for Ann & Andy, no plugin to write) and design their creations, just the added step of printing then scanning into the cutter. No worries about file extensions. A well known brand name like Brother, I would think, catch the attention of folks that would normally buy that C.....and that's a GOOD thing.
    Hellie0h-Central Ohio Gallery # 9914
    What Will YOU Do, With Your One And Only Life
  • twitbobtwitbob Posts: 415Member
    I think I will stick with MTC and Mr Maxx Air. :x
    No one knows his real strength till it is put to the test; the highest joy in life is to discover that the soul can meet the test, and survive it.
  • cleversomedaycleversomeday Posts: 1,166Member
    edited September 2013
    I have said this in other threads, but this machine is really aimed at the low tech crowd, not us. The one thing this can do better than our current machines/software is to cut out a preprinted item, which, while possible, is a tricky multistep proposition. Lets hope this spurs the other cutter makers to consider adding scan heads...then we'd have it all!
    Post edited by cleversomeday on
    edited September 2013
    @cleversomeday - oh that would be a great idea :)! One consideration, I have always subscribed to the notion that a manufacturer may, e.g., make a great inkjet printer that sets the standard for all the others to attain, but suck big time at making faxing devices...so for example the multifunction devices are not always what they are cracked up to be. Getting the best scanner component would be paramount to compliment the best cutter.

I think one of the reasons that the "other company's" print and cut device failed because they used very old printing technology in that machine, might have been a great business decision for HP, but it was not a good one for the "other company". Imagine, even thinking of using an all in one ink cartridge in this day and age...even 3 years ago! Whoever made that decision should have been fired!
    Post edited by Liz_A on
  • HelenHelen Posts: 1,787Member
    @Andy, from what I have seen on written and video, this machine is designed with quilters and the like in mind. Where they cut shapes etc for quilts/applique. A person with this machine could still BUY MTC do designs to scan into their machines...potential customers Andy.
    Hellie0h-Central Ohio Gallery # 9914
    What Will YOU Do, With Your One And Only Life
  • onekindacowboyonekindacowboy Posts: 510Member
    It is the scan to cut that intrigues me. I hoping that I will be able to place a grouping of my tshirt transfer designs on a page in such a way to save transfer paper. Then scan and be able to cut out the outline of said designs over and over again. If I have a design with white area around it (ala subway art), MTC will not pixel trace the outline of the white part of the design without lots of manipulation. I can conceivably save a ton of money on transfer paper with fewer steps if this machine works in the method that they talk that it does.
    I realize that I can do the same in MTC but there are more steps involved.This machine will I hope work in this way: Import multiple designs into an 8 x 10 PS to maximize space, print, scan into brother machine, save and then cut printed on transfer paper. The cuts do not have to be super accurate just close.
    In MTC I have to pixel trace each individual design and manipulate the pixel trace each time or shadow to get the cut that I need for the transfer. I might have 8-10 designs on each page. Then I have to make sure to print from MTC which only I know how to use. Hubby could probably use the brother machine.

I have probably confused you all now :)

I do not know at this point of this machine will do this but it seems that it might. They show an outline option for scanned images. All I need is outlines for the tshirt transfers.

I do not however see its value for any other operation that I do.......and if it weren't for the tshirt transfers would not at all be interested in it.
    The other thing that I see it useful for is for quilters to fussy cut.
  • susan_ID2293susan_ID2293 Posts: 2,841Member
    If it does full color, hi-res scanning at 12x12, it might have a use. Even the scanner that is built into my Epson (that can print 13x19) can only scan 11" wide. So, if I want to scan a 12x12 page, I have to do 2 halves and then combine them in Photoshop.

That said, I don't see a use for it as a cutter.

I haven't found a 12x12 scanner anywhere.
    @susan_ID2293
    and everyone,
    I have the same thought process, I was thinking just for scanning 12X12. I see on the videos that they plug the usb flash drive into the "pic bridge" port on a brother printer. I don't know much about "pic bridge" but I think that the file format is .jpg only (please someone correct me if I am wrong) so that means we would be limited in how you save a file. so no .png or .svg or .pdf or whatever so there you have it LIMITATIONS!!! Hello provo! You know I want the darn thing just to have a go at it and a new toy is always fun but I think (like Andy said) I will be going back and forth between a digi file and a hard copy. Time will tell as they release more info. But I am with you, I so need a 12X12 scanner.
  • paupau04paupau04 Posts: 4,819Member
    Well, if you are lazy like me [-X , yeah you want it, just for the scan and print feature. I do a lot of piece projects and favors and it would be great to print sheets, place them on a stack of mats and keep the flow going without having to worry about registration marks and alignments... and most importantly be able to have someone else do my cutting computer free....BONUS!!! I won't be quick to jump on this, hey I bought an Ecraft just to be able to stack paper and cut blank boxes and tags with the convenience of no mats and we all know how that worked out X( . Now if it was MATLESS SCAN & PRINT--------PRICELESS!!!
    Who's sorry now?...Hell hath no fury as a crafter scorned!!!

http://sitstayscrap.blogspot.com/
    I think they are going to market this mainly as a competitor to acuquilt for quilters.
  • sandyjsandyj Posts: 684Member
    Well, the beauty of it coming from a big company is that its just a matter of time before the 'new' wears off and it goes on sale, then gets replaced by a newer model and then Hello clearance! Most things I have that are cool but not necessarily useful I just waited on and got for at least 75% off. I'm patient.
    Just MY opinion, your milage will vary.
    Like "Andy" but with an "S"
  • sandyjsandyj Posts: 684Member
    Just MY opinion, your milage will vary.
    Like "Andy" but with an "S"
  • NittyPearlNittyPearl Posts: 1,296Member
    So I'm thinking why can't @Andy incorporate personal scanners into MTC?
    Sandra
    Sandra
  • JanaBaileyJanaBailey Posts: 719Member

So I'm thinking why can't @Andy incorporate personal scanners into MTC?
    Sandra

You can scan into MTC, it's pretty tricky though to take a scanned image out of the scanner and put it into your cutting machine and get it to cut the scanned image accurately. For real accuracy without a glitch the scanner needs to be in the actual cutting machine like the Scan and Cut. I might have misunderstood what you were trying to say though. ;)
    Proud owner of Zippy the Zing!
    Abilene, TX Yeehaw!

My blog: http://janabailey.blogspot.com/ - I love visitors!
    My new art website: http://www.brightandmerrydesigns.com/
    Ya you got it but I'm not sure I do. Guess I will have to play with MTC and my scanner.
    Sandra
    Sandra
    edited September 2013
    I give up how do you import from scanner? Nevermind I did a search and found it.
    Sandra
    Post edited by NittyPearl on
    Sandra
  • janthosjanthos Posts: 35Member
    The part that intrigues me is that I can take one of my doodles/drawings, scan it, and then cut it....
  • markusofmarkusof Posts: 353Member
    you can already scan an image and put into mtc
    haven't used the twain, but save as jpg and pixel trace.. (same thing)
    the thing I DO like about the brother is the ability to SEE all the paper on mat and place images accordingly..
    too bad it doesn't work with computers.. and 399?? I'd get a 24" cutter..
    it needs to be $189 for serious buys..
    even the cameo at $189 is good, over that forget it.. not worth it..
    need more GF Pressure
  • janthosjanthos Posts: 35Member
    oh, well that's good to know. I have the dreaded C machine....was thinking of getting a silhouette (b/c I do have MTC, from when it first came out, but of course can't use now with the C machine-not MTC's fault on that, I know)...so I've been debating for quite some time which machine to get.....
    So if I were to get a Cameo Silhouette, I just scan my regular doodle with my normal scanner, then do pixel trace in the MTC software? Good to know! Thanks!
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 6,789Member
    janthos said:

. . .
    So if I were to get a Cameo Silhouette, I just scan my regular doodle with my normal scanner, then do pixel trace in the MTC software? Good to know! Thanks!

Yes, I have done this a number of times. Some scanners you can scan directly into MTC with while others you have to scan and save to your computer first. Once you have the scanned file, you can open and trace it with MTC.

Go Vols!
    image Visit my Blog: http://melaniescrafting.blogspot.com/
    Cutting with 18" Cougar, Silhouette SD & Cameo and yes, I still have one of those "other" machines too!
    edited October 2013
    @janthos - Bryan has demoed a couple of times on the webinars how to scan and get an image into Make The Cut! starting with Make The Cut!. Make sure that in Help => Advanced => Advanced Settings under TWAIN Import that Enable TWAIN is checked...some people have had to turn off this feature due to issues with their computer.

This webinar may be helpful, look at the notes for where to look, its the last part of the webinar:

Post edited by Liz_A on
    Ok... here is the answer from Brother on Facebook. I guess advanced users will have to stay tuned! :-? Maybe the price will come down while we are waiting! All sold out on Amazon for now anyway.
    2013-10-03-17-02-31.png
    641 x 577 - 251K
    Cameo
  • ElaurElaur Posts: 241Member
    I love scanning directly into MTC. It's great and opens up a lot of options.
    michele4 said:

Ok... here is the answer from Brother on Facebook. I guess advanced users will have to stay tuned! :-? Maybe the price will come down while we are waiting! All sold out on Amazon for now anyway.

More "pie in the sky promises" that sound like another company we all know and love to hate. ;) Thanks to my years of being a customer with that company, I have learned to believe it when I actually see it!
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Cougar, Silhouette SD & Cameo and yes, I still have one of those "other" machines too!
  • tuckerstreasurestuckerstreasures Posts: 4Member
    I use my scanNcut with MTC I love them both this was set up with mtc and printed then scanned and cut.
    http://raembroidery.com/purchase_make_the_cut.htm
    Ruthanne
  • Nancy3198Nancy3198 Posts: 422Member
    I keep going back and forth on this machine. Do I, don't I? hmmm
    MeFlick said:

More "pie in the sky promises" that sound like another company we all know and love to hate. ;) Thanks to my years of being a customer with that company, I have learned to believe it when I actually see it!

Brother Ain't Provo

@Nancy3198...I bought this specifically for one purpose, to scan and cut simple cuts that I use over and over again and for when I need spot on cut out placement. It meets those needs. and without being hooked to computer. I also liked how it cut fabric when I was at demo, still haven't done it with mine. For specific purposes it works great, if it was my only cutter I would find it lacking and a times very aggravating. As for paper saving you can really use up those scraps...I have used scraps from my scraps.

• maguitaincmaguitainc Posts: 4Member
    I just tried de scanncut today, I played with a design from MTC, exported it as svg, and then with their brother cloud system, imported and saved to a USB on their format, and the I cut the shape. It is very easy to set and there are no registration marks to deal with. I am still new at this, I actually got both the Cameo and the S&C to try them and then decide which one to keep. Hope it helps
    I think HSN has the best deal on these now, last week Joanne's had them and other die cut and sewing machines 25% off--sold out quickly

@paupau04
    Can You Use Roland Blades With The Scan n Cut? Thier Blades Run 10 Bucks
    No, the blades are kind of a funky shape, more like a silhouette blade, having a circular ring. I think Rorysnona tried it but Idon't remember the results

@Berryone I was able to use a wishblade blade with the SnC holder. That was the only one that I had that worked. Santa put a couple of SnC blades in my stocking at Christmas and I only use this machine for limited things at this time so I figure the blades will last me for a long time. I am still using the original blade from October and it is holding up well. They are expensive but I think the quality is good. Hope this helps.
    Lysa
    I have put mine through the paces, cutting heavy glitter paper and card stock, haven't thought about the blade. I think/hope I have extra blades. My dealer is nearby, so that's a good thing

@Rorysnonna
    Thanks, These Cutters Are Gonna Put Me In The Poor House. :((
    @‌Berryone
    Here is the thing I own 8 cutters and 1 vacuum, enough said!
    when I leave this world they are going to put me in the craft room, and not on the housekeeping staff! Yeah for me, I did it right!!
    Love the way you think, @Rorysnonna‌!
    Berryone said:

Rorysnonna
    Thanks, These Cutters Are Gonna Put Me In The Poor House. :((

So Dave (@Berryone), does this mean a ScanNCut has come or is coming to reside with you and your "bugs"?!?!?! ;;)

(By the way, I see you have been quite the busy bee creating and sharing a ton of files recently. Thank you for being such a valuable and sharing member of the MTC community! There are lots of people who's file addiction you are keeping fed! :)) )
    Go Vols!