NEW VERSION OF PCS RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.1.0
Click here to learn more!

We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 25% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

What to do with too many tomatoes, zucchini and eggplant

suekayesuekaye Posts: 595Member
Help... my garden overflows with the above ... been giving them away now no takers left LOL
Any ideas?

Comments

• supermumsupermum Posts: 738Member
    Hmmm some of my favourite veggies. What about using them in pasta or a stirfry.
    Proud owner of a Silhouette Cameo and now A Brother Scan'n'Cut.
    Gallery ID number 8013
  • efghausefghaus Posts: 1,075Member
    is there a food pantry in or near your town? Many churches have food pantrys. the pastor may know of a family in need.
    Eileen G on the spacecoast Florida

Bye Bye Crapcut, Hello Zing.
    Where have you been all my life?
  • NittyPearlNittyPearl Posts: 1,335Member
    Ratatouille YUM
    1/4 cup olive oil, plus more as needed
    1 1/2 cups small diced yellow onion
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    2 cups medium diced eggplant, skin on
    1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    1 cup diced green bell peppers
    1 cup diced red bell peppers
    1 cup diced zucchini squash
    1 cup diced yellow squash
    1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
    1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Set a large 12-inch saute pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onions and garlic to the pan. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they are wilted and lightly caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the eggplant and thyme to the pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is partially cooked, about 5 minutes. Add the green and red peppers, zucchini, and squash and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, and salt and pepper, to taste, and cook for a final 5 minutes. Stir well to blend and serve either hot or at room temperature.
    Sandra
    Sandra
  • frogquilterfrogquilter Posts: 1,113Member
    Freeze tomato sauce.....not sure if shredded zucchini will freeze for later use in breads, casseroles, meat loaf (they will never know)---Eggplant--don't think that will freeze well (will probably get bitter)---Food pantries and church donations are always good ideas.
  • kjsalsmankjsalsman Posts: 831Member
    @frogquilter zucchini will freeze beautifully...I peel remove the seeds and shred it with my salad shooter. Bag it in 3 cup amounts for bread.
  • barb911barb911 Posts: 169Member
    we give ours to family and the Fishes and Loaves org.
  • suekayesuekaye Posts: 595Member
    Thanks for all the Ideas. I tried the local food pantry and they do not take perishables as they do not have refrigeration. I will try the Methodist Church as they may know a family that would be in need. My Neighbors are sick of seeing me come my basket, No one wants any more veggies from me. I think I will have to sneak out at night and stuff their mailboxes LOL. @NittyPearl Thanks for that recipe. I have everything in my garden except the onions and garlic. Do you think I could freeze the Ratatouille @kjsalsman I am going to try the freezing of the zucchini. Do you freeze it in a container or loose on a tray, then into a container. @Berryone I wish I knew how to can. I am so afraid of doing something wrong that I would be afraid to use the tomatoes afterwards.
    Hugs to all
    Hey there I just had a great idea.... Why don't you all come for dinner.
  • GardendogGardendog Posts: 283Member
    I dehydrate lots of tomatoes, then into ziploc bags and just for safety, I put the bag in the fridge.

Otherwise, make lots of tomato sauce, with herbs from the garden as well, freeze in canning jars or plastic containers, ready to put on chicken in the winter. I have 25 tomato plants and I still buy more at the farmer's market to dehydrate. 140 degrees for 24 hours or so after cutting up the tomatoes into smaller chunks and taking out the insides.
    @suekaye, I just put it in a ziplock after shredding. I have frozen tomato chunks for soup, they worked fine.
    Don't know any reason why you couldn't freeze the Ratatouille.
    Sandra
    Sandra
    @Gardendog What a great Idea. and With rain expected on Wednesday It will be a perfect project. I have a bushel of tomatoes. Mostly San Marzano (the first year I tried growing them) @kjsalsman I have a shredding attachment to my Kitchen Aid mixer and will start shredding in the morning. I love zucchini bread. My neighbor would saute the shreds with dill and cream .. Not sure what else and she is not able to tell me
    Thank you Everyone ....I love all these ideas. I called a lady from the church and she suggested that I take some to the senior center tomorrow after lunch. So I will do that I know I will have so many more tomorrow.
  • jax3catsjax3cats Posts: 1,048Member
    You can freeze the tomatoes to use to make "fresh sauce" in the winter. Just Blanche them and shock them in cold water to remove the skins, cut them and remove the seeds, then chop them, but them in a freezer bag and you're good to go.

I was also going to suggest ratatouille. I made some tonight and I think it will freeze fine. The individual components do, and the texture is somewhat mushy anyway.
    My name is Jackie and I am a papercraft and cutting newbie from Michigan.
    Now the happy owner of a Sizzix eClips, Bosskut Gazelle, and KNK Zing. The CE has left the building!
    @suekaye, I have 40 bags of zucchini frozen. Which will make 80 loaves of bread. I have already baked 20 loaves of bread,shared with my children and grands. We only had 2 plants...
  • paupau04paupau04 Posts: 4,824Member
    zucchini bread, tomato sauce, tomato jelly,zucchini eggplant Parmesan.
    Who's sorry now?...Hell hath no fury as a crafter scorned!!!

http://sitstayscrap.blogspot.com/
    @kjsalsman · I have 3 plants. I usually loose them to the dreaded squash vine borer but I planted late this year and was able to bypass the stage. But the zucchini is growing by leaps. I do not have a large enough freezer to do that much and right now it is filled with Striped Bass, clams and oysters. It has been a great season for all. Yesterday a friend and I went out for oysters and in an hour gathered over 200. And of course I got the job of shucking them. Today we were fishing and between us landed 4 fluke. Of Course I got the job to fillet them. LOL. I wish that my father did not teach me so much
    compost???

• lamblamb Posts: 300Member
    @kjsalsman the zucchini bread sounds yummy ...do you have a recipe?
    thanks again everyone. I just finished my morning coffee.. now start chopping, cooking and dehydrating. going to be a busy day
  • BrendaSBrendaS Posts: 608Member
    If you want to be tricky, you can make your neighbors, family and friends fake apple pie or apple crisp. You take zucchini that are not to large, peel, cut in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and slice to look like apple slices. Then put in a saucepan with some water and gently cook about 10 minutes or until the zucchini slices are translucent. Then mix with the spices you would use to make an apple pie and then put in a pie shell and use a dutch apple crumb topping and bake just like an apple pie. You can fool a lot of people with this.

Have fun.
    Brenda
    @lamb
    Zucchini Bread
    1cup vegetable oil
    1cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    3 eggs
    3 cups zucchini, peeled,seeded,grated
    3 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    1tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp vanilla
    3 tsps ground cinnamon
    1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Directions
    Combine oil,sugars and eggs. Add the remaining ingredients & mix well (I use my mixer)
    Grease and flour two loaf pans.( I use 9x5 )
    Divide batter into both pans
    Bake at 350° for 1hour. Cool in pans and remove bread.
    Enjoy Karla
  • lamblamb Posts: 300Member
    @kjsalsman thanks as soon as the weather warms up and I get some zucchini i'm gonna try it :)
  • mommahobbitmommahobbit Posts: 3,036Member
    i can my zukes in pineapple juice . Mock pineapple , I use it on pizza's and baking etc :)
  • CariadCariad Posts: 90Member
    I would roast them al together nd then make a soup from them... yummmmm
  • Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 6,125Member
    My quickest way would be to blanche the tomotoes, drop in ice water to remove the skins and bag them. Give to mother in law with a left over chicken carcass, and it comes back as soup :).

I would grate the zucchini, skin and all, and bag, with 3 cups each bag, perfect for a zucchini bread. Freeze til needed.

Hubbie doesn't like eggplant, so we wouldn't have that problem, if you live on a fairly main street, stick out a little sign on the lawn, (made on your cutter of course), Fresh Eggplant for Sale!!!
    @liz I love your comment of a main street. After last week's Tumbleweed Tuesday (the day the summer people leave) There are not many people left out here.

I cooked, dried and grated my heart out today.
    @kjsalsman What a great recipe. It is so moist. I made 4 loaves and some muffins.
    @NittyPearl Your recipe is perfect, I made a huge stock pot of it. Cooling now so I can divide and freeze
    @Gardendog I am dehydrating an oven load.
    I went to the Senior Center this afternoon and the men were more anxious than the women. They were all so very thankful. It felt good. One fellow who lives a few blocks from me said he was unable to cut up anything because of poor eyesight so I promised to bring him some of the Ratatouille and a few zucchini muffins

You are all so helpful. I could have never figured out what to do with all of the produce. I have never had such a harvest.

Awesome!! You gave me a big smile
    Sandra
    Sandra
    @suekaye...it actually jelly made from ,tomato. with pulp or chunky pieces. My friend runs a produce booth at a green market, so when there's extra/unsold tomatoes or berries I usually make tomato sauce or jam. I have only made it once, but it wasn't bad.

• ssmithssmith Posts: 589Member
    You can also dehydrate zucchini. I sliced some about 1/4 thick and made zucchini chips, also coated some with BBQ sauce before drying. Nice tasty snack.
    Sheila
    owns a Zing and Cameo
    I never consider dehydrating zucchini. I do kale for chips and love having them as a treat. @Gardendog the dehydrated tomatoes came out great. And they take so little space.
    Right now I only have 2 small zuchs and 5 oriental eggplant I am going to do the eggplant for dinner with an asian sauce because someone gave me a beautiful piece of fresh caught tuna and the eggplant with it will be a great side dish. treating my So no cooking marathon for me. Tomorrow will be another story as I will have to harvest again.
    I am not going to be around today as I have a free pass to a spa and going to take advantage to a day at rest
This discussion has been closed.