NEW VERSION OF PCS RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.1.0
Click here to learn more!

We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 25% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Trying to cut vinyl with Silhouette Cameo - not cutting through all the way

craftytwinmommacraftytwinmomma Posts: 5Member
edited February 3 in General
Would love some help if anyone has advice. I'm using my Silhouette Cameo to make vinyl letters to put on acrylic cups as party favors. I'm printing all the guests names. Just wasted an entire sheet of vinyl because it's not cutting through all the way. Ugh!

I did not use the mat, and I've tried blade thickness of 1, 2 and 3, including cutting it twice. Still, it skips part of the letters.

Does anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks!
Heather
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 6,115Member
    Yes, and it only seemed to work well with the mat. How wide is your vinyl? If the rollers on the Cameo are wider than the width of the vinyl, the you may have this issue, and using a mat would be recommended.

With a mat, you can brayer the vinyl to the mat so that it does not bulge or bubble up. Vinyl by itself may twist, or buckle causing the vinyl on the backing to lift away, and you won't get a good cut.
  • thank you! i just tried it with the mat, but it tore some letters and didn't cut through others. i wonder if it's a dull blade. it absolutely shouldn't be, because i just got the thing last week, but maybe that's what it is.
  • what setting should i use with the mat? it says to use a 2, but maybe with a mat, just use a 1?
  • BerryoneBerryone Posts: 5,335Member
    Play With Your Force and Speed
    Try 10, 10
    edited September 2013
    The vinyl recommended setting in the Sil plugin is Force 9 and Speed 8. I would leave the speed but maybe drop the Force. Do tests first so you don't waste product.

I have cut lots of vinyl on my Sil SD, and never had one issue, and I usually use the recommended settings. I use the brayer to ensure that everything is adhered properly to the mat.

I have had issues with vinyl on rolls, as sometimes the vinyl has lifted off the backing because it gets slightly stretched when rolled up. So when the piece is cut off the roll, I roll it the other way to get the kink out of the backing, and I then I start at one end and brayer the vinyl back on to backing properly before then braying the whole thing to the mat. Good cuts will not result if the media being cut is not stuck down well.

Aso being the Cameo, the blades have known issues with getting clogged easily with bits of media, take it off and check it.
    Post edited by Liz_A on
  • susan_ID2293susan_ID2293 Posts: 2,841Member
    Liz_A said:

I have had issues with vinyl on rolls, as sometimes the vinyl has lifted off the backing because it gets slightly stretched when rolled up. So when the piece is cut off the roll, I roll it the other way to get the kink out of the backing, and I then I start at one end and brayer the vinyl back on to backing properly before then braying the whole thing to the mat. Good cuts will not result if the media being cut is not stuck down well.

@Liz_A I have some older vinyl that does this. Thanks for the tip. How do you brayer it back onto the backing without getting any creases?

Similar to rolling out pie crust, only I start from one edge and roll only in the one direction. It does not always get perfect, but at least I get the majority of the bubbles out first before brayering to the mat.
  • paulosebinpaulosebin Posts: 1Member
    The model you use is equal to that Silhouette Cameo? I read some information about this printer and found that very thick vinyl material may not be ideal. Have you tried with another type of vinyl? I live in Brazil and I am studying on this printer.
    Let me know if other vinyl worked.
  • sandyjsandyj Posts: 690Member
    I have absolutely no problem cutting contact paper, oracal 631 and arlon sign vinyl with my portrait and no mat. So it may be the vinyl or the blade. Take your blade out and check to make sure the pointy tip hasn't broken off.

I use blade setting 1 for all of them, and speed 5. The pressure depends, contact around 2 or 3, the others I start at 5.
    Just MY opinion, your milage will vary.
    Like "Andy" but with an "S"
  • Cynthia BarberCynthia Barber Posts: 222Member
    On my Cameo I use blade setting of 3 and speed and force at 10. And no multi cuts either.
  • JessJess Posts: 28Member
    I was having a problem with my cameo not cutting last week and what I found was that the plastic not he bottom where the glad is had come loose. I popped that sucker back in and its cutting without a problem! :)
  • ElaurElaur Posts: 241Member
    A loose blade has happened to me too!
  • minttmintt Posts: 1Member
    Hello, I have same problem and nothing works. Silhouette cameo does not cut the size of the crop area, where the problem could be? Here is a picture (I draw a thick red line) where the machine left uncut. Thus, a different point on the second attempt. When I cut text, it can ignore the letter A, for example, the interior without cutting. Always there is a problem with cutting! The blade is changed three times during this problem. It seems that the problem is only when I cut vinyl,I have tried to change that too!
    Please help!
    silhouettestudioongelma.jpg
    1006 x 693 - 278K
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 6,870Member
    Hello @mintt. Welcome to the Make the Cut forum. Make the Cut (MTC) is a 3rd party software program that works with a large variety of cutters including the Silhouette line of machines.

Since this is your first post on the forum, I am hazarding a guess that you were looking for a Silhouette specific forum since from your image post, it would appear that you are also using the Silhouette software with your machine. If so, you can find one that is specific to the Silhouette here: http://s15.zetaboards.com/Silhouette_Plus/index/

That forum is completely dedicated to using the Silhouette machines and their software programs and has a great group of users who may be best able to answer your question since you are using their program with the cutter.

If you ever want to check out MTC, you can download a free trial of it from their home page at: http://www.make-the-cut.com
    With the trial version, you cannot print or save out of the program and if you cut, it will cut "water marks" into anything you cut. However, all other features are fully functional for you to review. A lot of Silhouette owners use MTC instead of or in addition to the Silhouette program(s). Which is why when people do a "google" search for help with the Silhouette machines - they often find this forum first!

Good luck with your machine. There are lots of things that could cause the issue you asked about, it could be the blade, the pressure, the mat, etc.
    Go Vols!
    image Visit my Blog: http://melaniescrafting.blogspot.com/
    Cutting with 18" Cougar, Silhouette SD & Cameo and yes, I still have one of those "other" machines too!
  • elizabethhoefselizabethhoefs Posts: 1Member
    help!!! vinyl appears to be cutting, I can see the lines and feel that it was cut, but it does not peel off easily like in the tutorial videos I have been watching. I am wasting a lot of paper because I tear almost everything. I am also having issues with heat transfer paper, same thing it appears to be cut but when I attempt to weed it, it all comes away. I have successfully cut both adhesive and heat transfer vinyl in the past and even changed the blade as I felt maybe it was dull, but no luck. Settings and blade are what I see recommended by most web tutorials, blade 2 and am using the mat. I am at my wits end with this.
This discussion has been closed.